Doing well on test sections, not doing well on full tests Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Doing well on test sections, not doing well on full tests

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:50 pm

I'm really having a problem with full tests, my score has not budged or just gone up one point when taking full tests after a month of prep. The thing is, I do very well when I break the tests up, and even better when I play an individual game or do an individual passage on reading comp.

My stamina just isn't there, my brain starts to crap out after the second section of a full test, I know the answer is, do more full tests to increase stamina, but will I eventually get to the level I'm at now with tests in pieces? I mean, can I get the -0 -1 or -2 in games, -1 -2 in reading comp? Or is there always a disconnect between mini testing and full testing that is not ever overcome by some people?

I was thinking of doing maybe tow sections at a time, then 3, then 4 and eventually 5. I's almost like I can run a sprint very well, but try to put me in a marathon and I have nothing.

The above method would be akin to doing a 5k half marathon, then full marathon.

totoro

Bronze

Re: Doing well on test sections, not doing well on full tests

Post by totoro » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Are you sure stamina is your problem? I'm asking this because one month of prep is not a very long time. Early on in your prep, you should not be doing proportionally so many full length PT's. Rather, you should be doing mostly prep books and drilling (drill a few sections of CR one day, LG the next day, LR questions by type another day, and so on). This is what really helps improve your accuracy and master the test. Then later on, you can add more full-length PT's to your regimen to master the timing and stamina part of the LSAT.

However, if you really believe stamina is your only problem, I would say yes, taking more tests usually fixes that. Try also to be well-rested and to mentally "refresh" your mind after each LG before you go onto the next one. Bubble in answers after you finish a page of LR or an individual game to give your brain a few seconds to mentally reset. Though I kind of think it's weird you can only take 2 sections at a time right now.. I mean, haven't you done other standardized tests.. SAT, ACT, etc? I think those are longer than the LSAT, so maybe you have strategies for those.

MiracleNeeded

Bronze

Post by MiracleNeeded » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:34 pm

totoro wrote:Are you sure stamina is your problem? I'm asking this because one month of prep is not a very long time. Early on in your prep, you should not be doing proportionally so many full length PT's. Rather, you should be doing mostly prep books and drilling (drill a few sections of CR one day, LG the next day, LR questions by type another day, and so on). This is what really helps improve your accuracy and master the test. Then later on, you can add more full-length PT's to your regimen to master the timing and stamina part of the LSAT.

However, if you really believe stamina is your only problem, I would say yes, taking more tests usually fixes that. Try also to be well-rested and to mentally "refresh" your mind after each LG before you go onto the next one. Bubble in answers after you finish a page of LR or an individual game to give your brain a few seconds to mentally reset. Though I kind of think it's weird you can only take 2 sections at a time right now.. I mean, haven't you done other standardized tests.. SAT, ACT, etc? I think those are longer than the LSAT, so maybe you have strategies for those.
In one month I'veonly done 3 full tests, the last one being a few days ago.

I was mostly drilling and kept thinking I should be doing full length tests by now, you may be right, I might need more time to drill and get faster.

As far as other standardized tests, I haven't taken one in many years. I took the sat in high school back in 1998 and the LSAT in 2009 where I did poorly. So as far as strategy and previous experience, I have little to speak of.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:27 am

Dont worry. Youll get over fatigue. Your running analogy is spot on. You will get better at going for 3 hours straight. After a while youll be able to PTPTPTPTPTPT

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:16 am

Have a cup of coffee before you start. And then just do all four sections without stopping. Eventually you'll get used to it.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:41 am

Its true, you'll adjust, it's still early. I used to be the same way, eventually I was able to do two PTs back to back with no change in section scores lol, it's just a by-product of continually working yourself on it. I occasionally recommend people to do tests with 2 experimentals going into their administration (both in the first 3 sections) think of it like swinging a baseball bat with a donut on it, when you take it off the bat feels lighter, similarly, if you adjust to doing extra sections, five won't push your endurance. Also by the way, mix up the order you PT in, and the experimental. Two of my administrations I had back to back RCs to start the test, I don't believe I ever PT'd in those conditions because I felt more comfortable with RC after I had warmed up with a section or two, but that's not always the way the cookie crumbles, and you want to be prepared for any combination of sections.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”