. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Kharon542

New

Post by Kharon542 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Last edited by Kharon542 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: How to Drill RC

Post by Pneumonia » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 am

look for a pattern in your wrong AC's- are they global-author's-attitude or specific-inference type questions?

From what I can tell there are no surefire ways of getting better at RC (I'm drilling Cambridge too). A few things can be helpful though. If you can identify a pattern it can help. Missing 'global' questions is usually an indication that you're not reading the right way- either too fast or too much attention to detail or both. Missing 'inference' type questions can means your not indexing well, or that you're just not good at inferences. If the former then try to work out some sort of notation (or just read slower); if the latter then drill LR inference choices.

If there are no apparent patterns in your missed questions then it may simply be a time issue in which case I would probably examine the way that you are reading/indexing. By indexing I mean making some sort of notation (physical or mental) of both the structure of the passage and where certain information is without actually mentally absorbing all of those details. Hope this helps.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:34 am

Josh4737 wrote:Hey everyone,
I'm currently drilling RC from the cambridge packets. Once I finish a section (I do two at a time and aim for 17 and a half minutes), how do I review. Currently I am consistently getting one wrong per section. How would I isolate what would help me not get it wrong next time around? Thank you very much!
Wait, you finish a reading comprehension section in 17 and a half minutes, and consistently get one wrong? Can you give me reading comprehension advice?

MKX

Bronze

Post by MKX » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:07 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
Josh4737 wrote:Hey everyone,
I'm currently drilling RC from the cambridge packets. Once I finish a section (I do two at a time and aim for 17 and a half minutes), how do I review. Currently I am consistently getting one wrong per section. How would I isolate what would help me not get it wrong next time around? Thank you very much!
Wait, you finish a reading comprehension section in 17 and a half minutes, and consistently get one wrong? Can you give me reading comprehension advice?
He does 2 passages at once. Equals out to about 35 minutes, -4. Better than I do on RC to be honest, but my wrong answers usually come in the latter half of the section :?

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:12 pm

The reason RC bothers me is the inconsistency. I sometimes finish in 30 minutes with -0, and sometimes barely finish in time and have -6 or -7. Other section I can pretty much know how I'll do.

Fortunately, drilling a lot, and pausing after paragraphs to mentally or literally write a summarizing sentence has helped. I'm still inconsistent, but between 0 and -4 now, which I'm much happier with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”