Taking first LSAT in October Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
julius305

New

Taking first LSAT in October

Post by julius305 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:53 am

I was wondering if it is a terrible idea to take my first LSAT in October if you are planning to apply for that cycle. I am currently scheduled to take the LSAT in June, but my father recently passed away and I feel that this will hurt my performance on the LSAT, so I'm thinking of moving it to October. Regardless of my personal situation, is it a bad idea to take the your first LSAT in October because of issues of retesting and having to wait for scores?

Balthy

Silver

Re: Taking first LSAT in October

Post by Balthy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:40 am

julius305 wrote:I was wondering if it is a terrible idea to take my first LSAT in October if you are planning to apply for that cycle. I am currently scheduled to take the LSAT in June, but my father recently passed away and I feel that this will hurt my performance on the LSAT, so I'm thinking of moving it to October. Regardless of my personal situation, is it a bad idea to take the your first LSAT in October because of issues of retesting and having to wait for scores?

Very sorry for your loss. You won't find unanimous agreement on TLS regarding whether a later application completion date will hurt your chances, but the consensus seems to be that the effect would be minimal, and certainly worth even a few extra points on the LSAT. Furthermore, even the proponents of applying early in this debate generally do not consider October as a "late" administration, so you'll be fine.

Skill Game

New

Post by Skill Game » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Even early admission/decision deadlines are mid-November, and you'll get October scores around the end of October. So if you already have the rest of your application packet prepared, then you are fine.

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:55 pm

FWIW, I retook in October (from Feb score), applied in November, and my acceptances exceeded my expectations.

After you take LSAT, while you're waiting for your score, get your PS done and be ready to submit.

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:23 pm

julius305 wrote:I was wondering if it is a terrible idea to take my first LSAT in October if you are planning to apply for that cycle. I am currently scheduled to take the LSAT in June, but my father recently passed away and I feel that this will hurt my performance on the LSAT, so I'm thinking of moving it to October. Regardless of my personal situation, is it a bad idea to take the your first LSAT in October because of issues of retesting and having to wait for scores?
First, and most importantly, sorry for your loss.

Second, I think it's a good idea to take it in October (assuming you're ready). It's not too late at all. I took the October '12 LSAT, and submitted all of my materials as soon as my score was in. The results exceeded my expectations.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”