Cardio/Workout then Study or vice versa? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Malakai

Bronze

Cardio/Workout then Study or vice versa?

Post by Malakai » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi guys,

Simple question. My study plan is to start at 12-12:30PM (as i'm sitting for the June administration). For those of you with past experience in the realm of both working out and studying for the LSAT (i'm not working atm), would you say you felt more productive and had energy throughout the day with a cardio/workout session (of light to moderate intensity) before studying, or did you feel as though you benefitted more doing it the other way around?

Your input would be greatly appreciated, as it would factor into making my study schedule for the next 10-11 weeks!
Last edited by Malakai on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loomstate

Bronze

Re: Cardio/Workout then Study or vice versa?

Post by loomstate » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Malakai wrote:Hi guys,

Simple question. My study plan is to start at 12-12:30PM (as i'm sitting for the June administration). For those of you with past experience in the realm of both working out and studying for the LSAT(i'm not working atm) , would you say you felt more productive and had energy throughout the day with a cardio/workout session (of light to moderate intensity) before studying, or did you feel as though you benefitted more doing it the other way around?

Your input would be greatly appreciated, as it would factor into making my study schedule for the next 10-11 weeks!
creating a thread for this seems silly

BUT

if youre doing light to moderate workouts it probably doesnt matter and if it does why dont you switch it up to give yourself some variety while you're just studying all day?

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:46 pm

This will be slightly subjective based on the type of person you are. For me, a good workout helps me focus afterward and I'm more effective at absorbing the concepts I'm dealing with. I have a friend, OTOH, who signals the end of their mental day with working out. Kind of a way of escape from stressing their brain for a good portion of the day.

I've seen studies on Men's Health that state that mental focus is better with a regular workout routine, so take that for what you will. What is your cardio routine that you want to keep?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:48 pm

I am considering doing the same thing.
That said, you have plenty of time to do a few PTs each way to see which works best for you. I'd even consider something other than light cardio- more high impact. But its gonna be super dependent on you as a person- how in shape you are and how distracted you get while testing.

Brixton

New

Post by Brixton » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm

I do P90X type workouts so I'm pretty wasted afterwards. I'd suggest studying before the workout then use the workout as a way to rejuvenate and clear your mind (in a good way.) I seem to not be as mentally sharp immediately after a good workout. Maybe it is because the blood is flowing to other parts of the body? Regardless, exercising is a great way to keep your mind and body prepared for the rigors ahead.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nightingale

New

Post by Nightingale » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:35 pm

In my experience, working out earlier in the day gives me a calming focus for when I study later on. I've also found that my PT scores improve (only slightly) when I take them after i've worked out. Now, the problem with this is that since you will want to make your study routine (especially as you get closer to the test date) mimic the testing conditions you will face, you may not want to get used to working out before hand (unless of course you plan on working out on test day).

As previous commenters have mentioned, this is highly subjective. I suggest you try both methods for a week or so, and be sure to document scores and how you feel at the time.

Good luck!

Legallybronzed180

New

Post by Legallybronzed180 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 pm

I found working out before studying increased my focus and had my highest pt score when I worked out an hour or two before.
But try it out see how it goes
I worked before I took the real deal it gave me a boost of energy and focus

magickware

Bronze

Post by magickware » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:57 am

I typically lifted/did my exercise after studying.

Then I tried lifting before I studied on the past Tues because I had a bit of unspent time that I needed to fill. Plus I was thinking of moving my exercise to before studying.

Did not work out well. Felt tired afterwards, and it affected my overall session.

So, personally, I'd prefer not to lift/exercise before studying. But it's subjective and depends a lot on what kind of exercise you're doing.

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:50 am

Simple question. My study plan is to start at 12-12:30PM (as i'm sitting for the June administration). For those of you with past experience in the realm of both working out and studying for the LSAT (i'm not working atm), would you say you felt more productive and had energy throughout the day with a cardio/workout session (of light to moderate intensity) before studying, or did you feel as though you benefitted more doing it the other way around?

I have always found that exercise helps my focus and concentration. When I was studying for the LSAT, I would work out, eat / shower, then test. There was generally about an hour between finishing exercises and starting a test. I always felt good and I never felt like I needed to get out of the seat and stretch my legs, never noticed being fidgety, and rarely was distracted in thought. I also felt that my reading speed and accuracy increased due to this focus.

I would work out hard but not to exhaustion. I don't think running a marathon and then taking a test is sound advice, but I think running a few miles and then hitting the books is a great combo.

tuffyjohnson

Bronze

Post by tuffyjohnson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:23 am

loomstate wrote:

Simple question. My study plan is to start at 12-12:30PM (as i'm sitting for the June administration). For those of you with past experience in the realm of both working out and studying for the LSAT(i'm not working atm) , would you say you felt more productive and had energy throughout the day with a cardio/workout session (of light to moderate intensity) before studying, or did you feel as though you benefitted more doing it the other way around?

creating a thread for this seems silly

BUT

if youre doing light to moderate workouts it probably doesnt matter and if it does why dont you switch it up to give yourself some variety while you're just studying all day?
totally legit Question

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”