Less law applicants during the 2013-14 cycle? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
cherylann

New

Less law applicants during the 2013-14 cycle?

Post by cherylann » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Alright, I pasted this article below from January 2013, and it stated that law school applications as of this year are 20 percent less than previous cycles. Since I am planning on applying during the 2013-14 cycle is it likely the trend will remain the same?

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/bid/267 ... uld-not-be

Pumpkin_Pie

New

Re: Less law applicants during the 2013-14 cycle?

Post by Pumpkin_Pie » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:07 pm

Yes.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:08 pm

fewer

Aawaldrop

Bronze

Post by Aawaldrop » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Just let me look into my crystal ball

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:11 pm

fatduck wrote:fewer
This

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beautyistruth

Bronze

Post by beautyistruth » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 pm

Does this mean that tuition's going to skyrocket again for people who -do- go to law school during these few years as schools try to accommodate a smaller class size?

cherylann

New

Post by cherylann » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:49 pm

My next question....suppose you do really well the first year at a 40-50 school and with much luck can transfer upwards, how does the less applicants effect transfers. Will there be less transfer spots or more?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 pm

cherylann wrote:My next question....suppose you do really well the first year at a 40-50 school and with much luck can transfer upwards, how does the less applicants effect transfers. Will there be less transfer spots or more?
Don't ever suppose that

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 pm

Srsly, FEWER.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:36 pm

"FEWER" law applicants!! Just remember this rule: you can never have "less" of anything plural.

Less money, less trouble, less intelligence, less air, less traffic on TLS.

Fewer posts on TLS, fewer dollars, fewer problems, fewer women, fewer men, fewer applicants!

I know that my post is rather gunnerish, but I see this grammatical error too often from law school hopefuls. I would love to see LESS of it.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:39 pm

PDaddy wrote:"FEWER" law applicants!! Just remember this rule: you can never have "less" of anything plural.

Fewer posts on TLS, fewer dollars, fewer problems, fewer women, fewer men, fewer applicants!

I know that my post is rather gunnerish, but I see this grammatical error too often from law school hopefuls. I would love to see LESS of it.
TITCR

Reading the post made me cringe. Jeez, is no one educated no more?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Watch fewer tv and pick up a fucking book

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:44 am

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
PDaddy wrote:"FEWER" law applicants!! Just remember this rule: you can never have "less" of anything plural.

TITCR

Reading the post made me cringe. Jeez, is no one educated no more?
Lol...no 'cause they got fewer schooling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:38 am

I sure hope so that this trend continues. 3.60/175+ are gonna be the new HLS numbers. :D :D :D

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:50 am

I can't wait to see the T-14 scramble. Their standards have become more and more ridiculous as the decades have gone on, especially Yale. Not too long ago, people with 3.5's and 167's easily made it into the T-14. It would be great if YHS would drop their tuition by like $10K a year. This would make a big difference and put some pressure on the rest of the T-14 to lower their tuition, but I think I would be more likely to step outside tomorrow morning and see a unicorn eating grass from my lawn.

jcccc

Bronze

Post by jcccc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:16 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:I can't wait to see the T-14 scramble. Their standards have become more and more ridiculous as the decades have gone on, especially Yale. Not too long ago, people with 3.5's and 167's easily made it into the T-14. It would be great if YHS would drop their tuition by like $10K a year. This would make a big difference and put some pressure on the rest of the T-14 to lower their tuition, but I think I would be more likely to step outside tomorrow morning and see a unicorn eating grass from my lawn.
But come on, at the same time, these are the most elite law schools in the whole damn world. You can't blame them for raising up to such ridiculous standards when in fact a fair amount of prospective lawyers are meeting them. But for the tuition, couldn't agree more.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:27 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:I can't wait to see the T-14 scramble. Their standards have become more and more ridiculous as the decades have gone on, especially Yale. Not too long ago, people with 3.5's and 167's easily made it into the T-14. It would be great if YHS would drop their tuition by like $10K a year. This would make a big difference and put some pressure on the rest of the T-14 to lower their tuition, but I think I would be more likely to step outside tomorrow morning and see a unicorn eating grass from my lawn.
Their standards are ridiculous because those are the numbers that the top X% of applicants have. And they can still reject a bunch of people who have those ridiculous numbers.

If half of all law schools closed tomorrow, presumably it would be the bottom half. (We can only dream of the day.) Yale's standards would still be ridiculous. The mouthbreathers getting into Touro and Nova would just not get in anywhere. (See: medical schools)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thelonious Kwiggz

New

Post by Thelonious Kwiggz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 am

I truly hope that this trend continues, I also hope that the 175+ bracket will continue to steadily diminish. Leaving room in some T-10 schools for ultra splitters :).

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Definitely will be. It won't be another 20% drop, but unless job numbers start to reverse in a big way, the 2012-13 cycle is going to be the new norm for a while.

I think it will end up being a very positive development, however. Lower the influx of new JDs, make schools work harder to keep their medians up (more scholarships, lower tuition, revamped programs, etc.), better shot for us mere mortals at HYS, maybe force some of the lesser schools to close their doors, and so on. I am probably being optimistic, but we'll see.

Power Clean

New

Post by Power Clean » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:26 pm

If they reduce class sizes, they lose on tuition, they can't hand out as many scholarships to attract the highest scoring applicants, and their medians risk dropping. I think especially holds true for those outside HYS, right?

On the other side - if they keep class sizes, they keep their current tuition revenue, they can give out those scholarships, BUT the medians may have to be compromised by the majority (which pays high tuition to offset/obviate the costs of those receiving scholarships).

What do you guys think the preferred outcome for the schools are? Is it going to all come down to some sort of balancing calculation by the schools between the gains offered by class reductions vs. gains offered by maintaining high tuition, for the purpose of preserving medians? What is the outcome for admission standards and class sizes?

Beercules

Bronze

Post by Beercules » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 am

Power Clean wrote:What do you guys think the preferred outcome for the schools are? Is it going to all come down to some sort of balancing calculation by the schools between the gains offered by class reductions vs. gains offered by maintaining high tuition, for the purpose of preserving medians? What is the outcome for admission standards and class sizes?
At the end of the day these schools are businesses - I don't see them reducing the amount of tuition they take in at the risk of keeping their medians high.

This is a classic example of a Prisoner's Dilemma. Either way I think this conundrum will pay off for 2013-14 applicants and beyond.

JCGibson10

New

Post by JCGibson10 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:11 am

Beercules wrote:
Power Clean wrote:What do you guys think the preferred outcome for the schools are? Is it going to all come down to some sort of balancing calculation by the schools between the gains offered by class reductions vs. gains offered by maintaining high tuition, for the purpose of preserving medians? What is the outcome for admission standards and class sizes?
At the end of the day these schools are businesses - I don't see them reducing the amount of tuition they take in at the risk of keeping their medians high.

This is a classic example of a Prisoner's Dilemma. Either way I think this conundrum will pay off for 2013-14 applicants and beyond.
TITCR.

In the short term, a lot of schools will shrink class sizes and offer substantial scholarships to try to maintain their medians and in hopes of riding out the "application storm." If application numbers continue to decrease and/or stabilize at the current level, then law schools will drop their medians before they permanently drop class sizes/give up on their profits. Hopefully this will cause several of the lower-tier schools to close. I do NOT think we will see a substantial drop in tuition rates, though. As long as there is a demand for lawyers and people willing to pay the cash, the T1 schools will not have to worry about dropping tuition rates.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”