Random Question : Where do you guys study? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
kky215

New

Random Question : Where do you guys study?

Post by kky215 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:15 am

Hi all,

I live in a house with 9 people and a dog. So for me, studying at home is not efficient, because there are too many distractions and noises.

I used to go to my university's library (open 24 hours), but since I graduated a couple years ago, I am no longer able to access the library because my student ID has expired. If I were to utilize it I would have to pay $250 a year, which is too expensive and thus is not an option that I can take.

I tried going to the local public libraries that are near my town, but they usually close early (around 8PM) and are not open on weekends (Sat/Sun).

Ugh...it sometimes gets really frustrating when you know that you have to study, but there is not really a decent place for you to concentrate.

So.. where do you fellow LSATers go to study??
It's a random question, but I am just curious :)

fatduck

Gold

Re: Random Question : Where do you guys study?

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 am

starbucks?

Chowfun

Bronze

Post by Chowfun » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:31 am

I always study in my room. I'm in college in an apartment with 3 other people,but that's a lot easier than what you have to deal with.

Well it depends on your personal preference. I can't really suggest a place, because the first place I would say is the library. You can try a cafe, but i'm assuming you would have already tried that if you could. I do recommend studying when everyone else is down for the night, which means early in the morning, or late evening. I wake up really early (I'm in college) to study and then I study in the late afternoon. The benefits for me to study so early in the morning is that my bran is ready to absorb information, the house is quite, and I work and have EC's, on top of classes.

If you have a car, and it isn't 18 degrees where you live, try studying in there. lol

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:50 am

Starbucks, local coffee shops, Panera, library, office, home. I alternate. I want to have practice studying in loud as well as quiet environments, so whatever I need to deal with on test day really won't make a difference.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:22 pm

Almost always in my room. If I were you I would look for the least busy coffee shop that is open late, or possibly someplace like McDonald's if they have a corner that nobody usually occupies.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by RhymesLikeDimes on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Home, office, commute to/from work.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Post by itachiuchiha » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:58 pm

in the united states

edit: just kidding, I study and take all my PT's in the same room that I will be giving my test

amuseboosh

New

Post by amuseboosh » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:32 pm

Barnes and Nobles and Borders are really nice. They're typically quiet enough to take PTs in my opinion

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:45 pm

Either at my house (which can get distracting) or at my office (which can also get distracting). I don't really have a lot of other places to go.

I figure there will be distracting things on test day, so I'm chalking it up to "real-life" practice.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:50 pm

I suggest what another person mentioned: McDonalds. Clean, open til like midnight (?) some have overnight locations, I think. This is way better than Starbucks or Barnes and Noble, because if you live in a college town like I do, finding seats can be hard. McD doesn't have this problem. Plus they're not going to force you to buy anything - they don't care.

Your situation is very specific, but I work best at home at the kitchen table. I'm often distracted but it helps in preparation for the test. You want to study in noise!

Redbandit

New

Post by Redbandit » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:56 pm

Does your school have some sort of a student union? If so, you could potentially go there to study. Also, as you get more comfortable with the test, it might be beneficial to go to more distracting locations to take practice tests (like your house). There are a lot of things that can become distractions while you're taking the LSAT, so I think that it's a good idea to get used to that sort of an environment.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 am

I live two hundred meters away from this fantastic public library which is open until midnight except on Mondays and where you can reserve seats at the reading room. Every time I go there I think, "Ah, my tax has been well-spent."

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:49 am

1. Room
2. Bathroom
3. Garage
4. Law Library
5. Engineering Library

Power Clean

New

Post by Power Clean » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 pm

My philosophy was, and has been, to practice in a quiet environment (bedroom) best suited for going through my materials for the first time (PS bibles, etc.) and drilling for the first time.

After that, as I began re-drilling and timing, I moved to the kitchen table, which can provide a good bit of distraction (5 housemates) that requires you to focus in a bit more. I haven't reintroduced timed PTs yet, but once I do I plan on testing either at the library (with some occasional ambient noise), the girlfriend's place (quiet), or at home (with or without the LSAT proctor DVD I purchased).

I also plan on taking a good number of practice tests in various classrooms on campus, in order to acclimate myself to the testing environment as the June or October test dates draw nearer.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:14 pm

I use my University's library but they have a bunch of them and none of them require ID access. I found myself a perfect mix of people walking around and quiet in one of their libraries after a month or so of bouncing around from place to place trying to find one that didn't frustrate me with random phone calls and "quiet" conversations.

312ldn

New

Post by 312ldn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:59 pm

Home, British library, on the tube or bus

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”