Highest Possible Gain in RC Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RobertGolddust

Bronze

Highest Possible Gain in RC

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 am

Just curious, what is the highest gain anyone has seen in their own RC score?

toothbrush

Gold

Re: Highest Possible Gain in RC

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:21 am

RobertGolddust wrote:Just curious, what is the highest gain anyone has seen in their own RC score?
not to be a dick, but does it really matter? Anecdotally I personally improved 0 from diag to real test - and yet I've seen people say they improved -10 to -0 every time. Does it matter?

Maybe you should ask "how to make big gains in RC" and then I'd suggest different threads / guides. (Voyager's RC is legit)

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:25 am

I looked at it. But, your right what does it matter? I am utterly obsessed with this test, and I am just looking for confirmation.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:28 am

RobertGolddust wrote:I looked at it. But, your right what does it matter? I am utterly obsessed with this test, and I am just looking for confirmation.
I know the feel. In retrospect I wish I had spent more time obsessing over the test by actually doing it and working through it as opposed to reading about other peoples' success'.

manofjustice

Silver

Post by manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:34 am

toothbrush wrote:
RobertGolddust wrote:I looked at it. But, your right what does it matter? I am utterly obsessed with this test, and I am just looking for confirmation.
I know the feel. In retrospect I wish I had spent more time obsessing over the test by actually doing it and working through it as opposed to reading about other peoples' success'.
Practice, practice, practice...

You know how SAT prep companies advertise that they can blow up your score? By making you do like 5,000 practice tests until you bleed.

Literally, you have to make structural changes to your brain to achieve score gains. Reading TLS will make the wrong kind of structural changes to your brain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:35 am

manofjustice wrote:
toothbrush wrote:
Practice, practice, practice...

You know how SAT prep companies advertise that they can blow up your score? By making you do like 5,000 practice tests until you bleed.

Literally, you have to make structural changes to your brain to achieve score gains. Reading TLS will make the wrong kind of structural changes to your brain.
lul

steel_shot

Bronze

Post by steel_shot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 pm

I don't think we will know, but I've heard that a lot of people can, through practice, get their score down to about -3 or so.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Focus and retention are everything here. You need a way to conceptualize what is going on; find a way to keep track of the movement of the passage and know what role each paragraph plays in the entirety. Minute facts that will be questioned are harder to retain, so you may need to create a visual way to remember what is going on. Perhaps imagine a narrative that creates image associations in your head.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Theopliske8711 wrote:Focus and retention are everything here. You need a way to conceptualize what is going on; find a way to keep track of the movement of the passage and know what role each paragraph plays in the entirety. Minute facts that will be questioned are harder to retain, so you may need to create a visual way to remember what is going on. Perhaps imagine a narrative that creates image associations in your head.
Sage advice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

totoro

Bronze

Post by totoro » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:51 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Just curious, what is the highest gain anyone has seen in their own RC score?
I went from about -5-6 to -2-3. A couple points doesn't seem like a big gain, but it is if you can do it consistently and really master the RC sections, because that's a full 2-3 points added to your LSAT score.

I think Manhattan's RC helped me find the right amount of time on annotating/reading versus time on answering questions, which helped a lot.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:00 pm

assume that you have the ability to go -0, and then study hard to get as close as possible. There is no determined limit to your potential.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:15 pm

I started off around -7 to -9. I got down to -4 to -5 after taking every single RC section, many of them twice. On test day I went -3 (very surprised) but that was mitigated by a much worse than usual LR section so I figure it was just an easier than average RC section.

RobertGolddust

Bronze

Post by RobertGolddust » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:21 pm

CyanIdes Of March wrote:I started off around -7 to -9. I got down to -4 to -5 after taking every single RC section, many of them twice. On test day I went -3 (very surprised) but that was mitigated by a much worse than usual LR section so I figure it was just an easier than average RC section.
Good to hear, that's about what I'm at and I'm basically taking the same approach. I may read a prep-test book on RC, or I may not. Haven't really decided yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:25 pm

I partially read the Manhattan RC book, maybe I should have given it more time, but I skipped large swaths that I thought were superflous or not beneficial for me personally. I think it helped learn to structure it mentally a bit, but it didn't help nearly as much as the Manhattan LG did.

EDIT: This just made me realize I didn't have an in/out game on my LSAT... and that's pretty lame because I love those games and that's what Manhattan really broke through for me.

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:30 pm

In/Out were a horror for me. I didn't follow the Manhattan LG method, found it too hard to do in test taking circumstances, but I did manage to get a solid enough system (not as thorough but worked well) that allows me to roll through In/Outs now.

arcanecircle

New

Post by arcanecircle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Cyan, care to elaborate any on your RC section prep? Particularly how you would go over your work or how you dealt with RC passage redos. My accuracy is about where yours was initially. I'm pretty sure I'm reviewing my mistakes inefficiently.

WhiskeynCoke

Bronze

Post by WhiskeynCoke » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:06 pm

I went from missing around 5 or 6 to consistently missing around 0-2. The quickest way to improve your RC is to develop your test taking strategy. Specifically, you need to get better at handling the questions. This gain often comes through improving at logical reasoning. Here are some tips.......

When reading the passage:
- Read at a pace that allows you to fully understand everything the first read through (slow some places, quicker other places)
- Don't worry about marking up the passage. Focus on UNDERSTANDING what the author is getting at. (constantly be "translating" and reasoning/arguing with the author)
- Pause after each paragraph to get your bearings as to the direction/gist of the passage.
- After finishing the passage, make sure to articulate the authors main point and also attitude before moving to the questions.

When tacking the questions:
- PRE-PHRASE!!! This means that you answer the question BEFORE looking at the answer choices. You should have a clear answer in mind when you are scanning the choices so you know what you're looking for. Otherwise, they will all look the same and will DESTROY YOU. Obviously some types of questions don't allow this, but you get the idea.

This should get you started. FWIW I improved from a 167 (1st try)--------> 179 (3rd try).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sky888fa

New

Post by sky888fa » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Any books good to improve RC?

cricketlove00

Silver

Post by cricketlove00 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 am

I didn't go through and read everyone's posts, so I apologize if I'm repeating...

I'm of the belief that you can improve up to -0 always. There's no reason anyone can't. However, I will concede that RC is the most difficult section for me and it's still a work in progress.

To me, RC is more about personal strategy. It's good to read Manhattan and Powerscore RC books for their strategies, but ultimately I think you need to find what works best for you. It's a total pain in the butt, and it'll take a lot of work, but I found that writing out the arguments and subarguments to the side really helped me navigate the passages. The more you do it the quicker you'll be at it.

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:31 am

Started out missing about half the questions; ended up missing 3-5.

steel_shot

Bronze

Post by steel_shot » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:12 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:I went from missing around 5 or 6 to consistently missing around 0-2. The quickest way to improve your RC is to develop your test taking strategy. Specifically, you need to get better at handling the questions. This gain often comes through improving at logical reasoning. Here are some tips.......

- Read at a pace that allows you to fully understand everything the first read through (slow some places, quicker other places)
- Don't worry about marking up the passage. Focus on UNDERSTANDING what the author is getting at. (constantly be "translating" and reasoning/arguing with the author)
- Pause after each paragraph to get your bearings as to the direction/gist of the passage.
- After finishing the passage, make sure to articulate the authors main point and also attitude before moving to the questions.

- PRE-PHRASE!!! This means that you answer the question BEFORE looking at the answer choices. You should have a clear answer in mind when you are scanning the choices so you know what you're looking for. Otherwise, they will all look the same and will DESTROY YOU. Obviously some types of questions don't allow this, but you get the idea.

This should get you started. FWIW I improved from a 167 (1st try)--------> 179 (3rd try).
Thanks for this advice! It's pretty similar what I'm trying to do right now, but always good to hear it from a pro. Do you suggest any supplemental reading, like The Economist? I just moved my test to June, and RC is really the only thing that keeps me from a mid 170s score, so I bought every section to drill but still want to increase my chances in whatever way possible.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gobosox

Bronze

Post by gobosox » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm

WhiskeynCoke wrote:I went from missing around 5 or 6 to consistently missing around 0-2. The quickest way to improve your RC is to develop your test taking strategy. Specifically, you need to get better at handling the questions. This gain often comes through improving at logical reasoning. Here are some tips.......

Great info-- lets get some more thoughts! I'm struggling immensely ( -3-5 in RC) and RC accounts for usually at least half of my wrong answers. I'll try anything!!!

jemthey17

Silver

Post by jemthey17 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:31 am

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I haven't taken the actual LSAT yet and will not be taking it for a while, but it helps me to underline the main point of each paragraph and to look for a conclusion in the passage. Focus on what the main point of the passage is and then identify what the author uses as evidence or support for the point of the passage. RC used to be my worst section, but now it is my best.

Also, I don't know how long you have been studying and if you have been doing this, but you should do some untimed drilling in this section just to get used to the kinds of questions that are asked. You can always improve your speed later, but if you can't do it without the pressure of time, you will have a very hard time figuring it out under a more stressful, timed situation.

And as someone else mentioned, coming up with an answer to the question before you read the answers is key. It will keep you from getting tripped up by an attractive, cleverly written trap answer.

JDot

New

Post by JDot » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 pm

this advice only applies if you are a fairly fast reader...I found my greatest improvements came when I simply just read through the passage once and then as soon as I was finished immediately read through it again, the passages started to sink in a lot better when I started reading them twice in a row and the time it takes to read the passage twice is offset by not having to go back very much and dig through the passage again for answers during the questions…just my 2 cents

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Went from consistently getting 3-4 wrong to consistently getting 2-3 wrong. So much of it depends on the passages for me. I can get really interested in some and nail the questions, then get mauled by some monster wall of text about property rights of female immigrants in the 19th century.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”