Goodbye Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dirtrida2

Bronze

Goodbye

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Goodbye
Last edited by dirtrida2 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

scottyc66

Silver

Re: Really let myself down - LSAT debacle - What to do now?

Post by scottyc66 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Sucks about the December score, but if you're dead set on all those things it's definitely worth waiting until June and really trying to kill it again. Sounds like the unsatisfactory past scores aren't from a lack of effort, so maybe you just need a different look at it or a different prep method. Seeing your posts from the Dec waiting thread you seem intelligent enough to pull off at least mid 160s. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:48 pm

If you can suck it up and wait another year, retake in June at the earliest.

LR can be conquered (I went -24 on 2nd try, -12 on 3rd try, and -6 on 4th try).

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks for the support guys.

TBH - I really think I'm missing something with this test. I feel like I'm looking at the sections with too broad of a scope. My tutor insisted on familiarizing me with the language/arguments etc... and shunned the very specific categorizing of the test prep companies. We would just break down questions and try to understand the flow of the arguments, look for gaps, etc... but then all the prep books break each question down by type and force you to use certain tricks for each category - not something I really find myself doing on tests - I seem to "wing" the LR section and everything feels very conjoined.

I know I am not explaining myself too well right now, but maybe what I am missing is that very specific learning structure? Do I bust out the Manhattan books and really focus my energy on understanding the tool-kit needed for each type of question?

I made solid improvement in RC, increasing my accuracy/speed and I also ace every LG section during PT's -0/-1.

I guess their is hope, but I need to change my study method for the LR?

carboncopyx

Silver

Post by carboncopyx » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Dirt, I'd recommend retaking it in June and just waiting a year. LR is a bitch to learn, and I struggled a lot with trying to improve in that section in the beginning, as well. But it's definitely learnable, given how well you do on LG. Try rereading the Manhattan LR book, and look into the Cambridge LR by Type bundle. Those will really help you familiarize yourself with the nuances of the various question types in LR. You have the ability. Don't sell yourself short and definitely don't let previous shortfalls affect your perception of the test. It's just a test, and it is beatable. The LSAT is about mental fortitude as much as preparation. Don't let it intimidate you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eyfl

Bronze

Post by eyfl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:05 pm

As someone who's been only self-studying (got to 172) the biggest advice I can give is to try and visualize the argument / reading passage as you go. Thinking in objects / actions rather than abstract words is extremely helpful on a test like LSAT where you often don't have time to go back to the stimuli and reread something. This may require some memory training depending on how good your memory is but it seems like you have quite some time.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:20 pm

I agree with the others, try again in June/Oct

Your games seem very solid, and that's a huge positive because games is probably the scariest/most variable part of the test.

LR is by far the most consistent section in LSAT history so you will have ~3500 questions at your disposal. Although some people do have a knack for seeing holes in arguments and can "wing" it pretty well, I think a more systematic approach will help prevent you from panicking. This is just a guess, but with your number of misses, you might be falling for traps over and over.

Please don't give up on yourself. I absolutely know how you feel right now, its probably one of the most sickening things in the world to watch a year of your life flash by with 3 simple digits. Your scores so far are in no way a reflection of you, only your preparation methods. You're a disciplined guy (I mean geez, your muscles) with high potential, don't sell yourself short. Take a few months off and don't dwell on this, come back strong and knock this test out.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks carbon, I appreciate the support.

I will definitely look into the Manhattan books, have only heard good things.

I guess I just need to get a side job and start studying again. While I really don't want to sit out another cycle, I think I would be even more disappointed with RN + debt.

Eyfl: I definitely need to stop getting lost in the fluff and just break down the LR like I do the LG section, it's really nothing less than another game.

Chad: Haha, thanks man. I am definitely falling for the traps you are 100% right. I just need a new approach, I have spent WAY to much time studying with little to no improvement on the LR.

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 pm

I felt like I was winging it through LR most of the time before Manhattan too, and it's such an uncomfortable feeling. I second the Manhattan recommendation - it really cleared things up for me, and thinking of questions in terms of specific types helped me a lot (7 point boost). Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 pm

I hate to be the pessimist, but, you might want to start looking at other options.
Give it your all for June, but have a backup plan

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:13 pm

dingbat wrote:I hate to be the pessimist, but, you might want to start looking at other options.
Give it your all for June, but have a backup plan
No you are just speaking honestly. I've felt the same way at times to be quite honest. Though, I do have a passion to work in the field and it's something I have always aspired to do. I am not just diving headfirst into the unknown, i have done the paper pushing for quite sometime now and understand what a law degree gets you. Would settling for a 12-15k scholly from rutgers with instate tuition and low cost of living be suicide? I do have some connections and modest work experience?

Blah

Saba I will definitely give those books a try if I sit out another cycle.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:35 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Would settling for a 12-15k scholly from rutgers with instate tuition and low cost of living be suicide? I do have some connections and modest work experience?
Not at all. It's a risk, but if it's what you really really want to do, graduating from Rutgers with approximately $60k debt is not much worse than attending Georgetown at sticker. Do make sure you keep your costs down and realize that you're gunning for a job that pays $50k per year when you graduate.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:48 pm

dingbat wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:Would settling for a 12-15k scholly from rutgers with instate tuition and low cost of living be suicide? I do have some connections and modest work experience?
Not at all. It's a risk, but if it's what you really really want to do, graduating from Rutgers with approximately $60k debt is not much worse than attending Georgetown at sticker. Do make sure you keep your costs down and realize that you're gunning for a job that pays $50k per year when you graduate.

Unfortunately yes.

Maybe Camden would toss more money because of their current situation?

Should I be scared of the Rowan merger or the recent bad press they have received?

Would the possible extra money be worth it over Rutgers n, which seems to place a little better?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:50 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Should I be scared of the Rowan merger or the recent bad press they have received?
Not gonna happen
dirtrida2 wrote:Would the possible extra money be worth it over Rutgers n, which seems to place a little better?
I'm only (somewhat) familiar with Newark. Camden is one of the biggest shitholes in the country and it wouldn't surprise me if their law school matched. On the other hand, it's close to Trenton, so that can be a plus

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:57 pm

Retake? Wait. I thought it was never a particularly good idea to retake the test three times, let alone four?

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:11 pm

PickMe! wrote:Retake? Wait. I thought it was never a particularly good idea to retake the test three times, let alone four?
Chadbrochill would beg to differ.

PickMe!

Bronze

Post by PickMe! » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Bump- For someone who has experience taking the LSAT four times.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:25 pm

I'm not sure how badly it will affect my cycle, but I'm assuming it won't be worse than if I had applied using my previous score.
Last edited by chadbrochill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simplycatalina

Silver

Post by simplycatalina » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:26 pm

rebexness wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
PickMe! wrote:Retake? Wait. I thought it was never a particularly good idea to retake the test three times, let alone four?
+1

Dirt, retake is a good idea, but I would definitely analyze your study methods and see what kind of gaps become apparent. I'm retaking for my 4th time in June. We have a lot of smart, experienced LSAT takers that are more than willing to help us out. Lets take advantage of it!
I'm going to take it for the third time!! Joining the party. Hopefully I'll do better this time.

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm

rebexness wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
+1

Dirt, retake is a good idea, but I would definitely analyze your study methods and see what kind of gaps become apparent. I'm retaking for my 4th time in June. We have a lot of smart, experienced LSAT takers that are more than willing to help us out. Lets take advantage of it!

Unless a great opportunity arises at RN this cycle and they pass out some serious cash, I will be working/retaking.

Lets do it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cloudhidden

Bronze

Post by cloudhidden » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:36 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
rebexness wrote:
boblawlob wrote:
+1

Unless a great opportunity arises at RN this cycle and they pass out some serious cash, I will be working/retaking.

Lets do it.

Man, I feel your pain. Only I have absolutely run out of PTs to study. I have taken it three times, but their spaced out enough where I can take it again and even a fifth time (God help us!) If I figure out a viable way to do this thing, I will get after it with unbelievable intensity (not just throwing time at it like before, but making sure I study with 100% focus 100% of the time.)

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:55 pm

^^

Definitely, I feel the same way. If I do, I just want to be smart about it and make sure I do it right.

ptittle

New

Post by ptittle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:21 pm

Dirtrida2, I second your tutor's approach. An argument is a very specific, very definite, arrangement of thoughts: one or more premises are presented to support one or more conclusions. If you understand the architecture of the argument that is presented, you can then answer any question type (wotf is the conclusion? wotf conclusions is most supported? wotf assumptions is required? wotf exhibits the same flaw? wotf would most strengthen/weaken the argument - i.e., challenge the truth, relevance, or adequacy? etc etc)

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:57 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Just took the LSAT for the third time this December.

October 2010: 154
October 2012: 158
December 2012: 161

GPA: 3.66
Work/Intern: 3+ years with firm

I was really pushing for a 164+, but fell quite short of my goal. My first attempt came off self study with the power-score books. In 2012 I picked up a personal tutor and put in a lot of hours and a ton of PT's (30+), but still couldn't break a 160. Once I got my score, I went back to work for December (tutor + PT's). I felt good the day of the test but I really botched LR.
I would recommend u to go to a psychologist,I have the same problem ,my mind freaks me when the test day comes and I end up not takingthe test,so I did go to a psychologist who specializes in psychological failures,I had only one session and I feel a great difference.

The positives?
October 2012 = -3 games.
December 2012 = -1 games.

On both tests I also kept my RC under -10, I usually struggle finishing in time. Unfortunately, even though I meet my RC/LG goals, my LR continues to let me down and my score suffers. Even though this is a very learn-able section of the test, I keep falling short!

Since my first attempt at the LSAT occurred in undergrad, I still have one more retake left. My two concerns: 1. I have heard bad things about the February LSAT and I don't think I would be able to prepare enough in only a month. 2. I take another year off (going on 24), I study my ass off and then something crazy happens come test day. I choke, burn my last chance, and waste a whole year. I just feel very intimidated going back into another test, knowing that it would be my last shot.

I have the experience and some good connections. I love the field and fully understand the career I am getting myself into. Though, even with these desires, I still don't want to settle for a mediocre school or a load of insurmountable debt.

With my abysmal score on the LSAT my school list has virtually narrowed itself down to Rutgers Newark. As a resident of NJ I would get instate tuition, save money by commuting, and be granted at least a 12k scholarship with my numbers. Though, with all that said, I would still be walking away with 60k debt - not something I am too fond of. I'm also not a fan of the area and would'nt be happy "settling". My dreams are Cornell, UVA w/ ED or a W&M/W&L/BC with scholarship, not a fan of the big cities.

/Endrant
read from the very first line this is all that you attract to you,change your attitude towards the test,i was in similar situation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”