Kaplan Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Njdeh

New

Kaplan

Post by Njdeh » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:52 am

I've read alot of praise for Powerscore books on here. I already have the Kaplan set however, the Strategies and Tactics one. Should I go and shell out more for the powerscore? Or should I stick to what I already have?

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Re: Kaplan

Post by Grazzhoppa » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:11 pm

most people will tell you that kaplan blows. I used powerscore and manhattan and they were great. haven't used kaplan so I can't comment, but pscore and manhattan were definitely worth it.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:57 pm

took a kaplan course. scored lower than my diagnostic on the real thing. go elsewhere.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:01 pm

Kaplan is pretty much designed to get the average person to go from a <150 to a 150. I hope that's not your goal. I suggest you go to amazon or some cheap book online wearhouse and get your hands on the powerscore LR and LG bibles and then transition into manhattan strategy guides shortly after. I know that money could be tight (it was for me), but I saved up here and there and managed it. If you take these books seriously, you WILL improve.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Grazzhoppa wrote:kaplan blows.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:Kaplan is pretty much designed to get the average person to go from a <150 to a 150. I hope that's not your goal. I suggest you go to amazon or some cheap book online wearhouse and get your hands on the powerscore LR and LG bibles and then transition into manhattan strategy guides shortly after. I know that money could be tight (it was for me), but I saved up here and there and managed it. If you take these books seriously, you WILL improve.
Kaplan is designed primarily to promote sales of kaplan materials. It's not designed to improve your score at all. Problem sets are cherry-picked to give the illusion of a well-functioning methodology, but don't actually work in the general case. You'll spend your time learning acronyms and other useless abstractions instead of how to solve the actual material. I got into a heated argument with my "trainer" when I underwent LSAT instructor training, and that was the last thing he told me before I quit.

That company is absolutely a shitstain on the test prep business.

jetsfan1

Silver

Post by jetsfan1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Problem sets are cherry-picked to give the illusion of a well-functioning methodology, but don't actually work in the general case. You'll spend your time learning acronyms and other useless abstractions instead of how to solve the actual material.
Completely agree. When i was doing my kaplan course, i really felt like i was learning the lsat. looking back, this was in fact what was happening. please please please dont waste your money on kaplan. i was lucky, got the course fully funded, so there were no financial losses, but i cannot stress this enough that IT IS NOT WORTH IT! went from a 166 on a pseudo-diagnostic (i had done some practice problems before for fun sophomore summer and was familiar with the test, so didnt take it completely cold like some) to a 162 on the actual thing.

disclaimer: i do take full responsibility for my failures though. I was the one who failed at the lsat, not kaplan. however, kaplan did nothing to enhance my lsat abilities, and even hurt them (this was, i think, bc i changed my entire methodology to fit their system as i took the course, and it just really didnt work for me)

edit: so yes, i would definitely recommend powerscore. also, tls seems to be big on manhattan as well, so i would look into that... good luck!

Njdeh

New

Post by Njdeh » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:02 pm

Safe to say I've heard enough lol. I returned the books and got the bible trilogy today.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:10 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:11 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:10 pm

Lol, nmop.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Nova wrote:Lol, nmop.
:wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”