WTF did I just read? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lsatkid007

Bronze

WTF did I just read?

Post by lsatkid007 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Might be a silly question but how man people have read an RC passage and said "WTF did I just read?" If so, then what do you do from there. I can get a grip on most of the RC passages I read but once in a while I get hit by the stupid stick and I am sooo lost. I have been doing RC passages one or two a day. It was recommended by several TLSer to do an entire section of RC at a time (is this how you guys drill RC passages?). For some reason that has made the passages a lot more difficult. I suck at RC so I do them untimed but I still watch the clock and I think that's what throws me off. There's an urgency to complete the passages I think that's why I get lost.

Is there a list on the rating of passages by difficulty?

I would really aprecitate if you guys what give me your input.

boblawlob

Silver

Re: WTF did I just read?

Post by boblawlob » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:44 pm

the japanese positive light structure is one...but it's still more on the manageable side because the format is "people don't think guy can do X...he ends up doing more than X and changing everyone's perception"

A nasty one is the ridges one.

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm

lol at first I though you were asking about an RC question that said "WTF did I just read?"
Last edited by Poo-T on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poo-T

Bronze

Post by Poo-T » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 pm

Poo-T wrote:lol at first I though you were asking about an RC question that said "WTF did I just read?"

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Definitely do more than one or two passages a day if you are having that much trouble. Stay focused, remain present, and really engage with the text. Your ability to maintain attention should be up to snuff after just doing a lot of sections.

One tip that helped me is to do a full timed section but pause the clock after every passage, grading it right there on the spot. Part of the difficulty of reviewing RC is that you have to return to a full passage you read at the beginning. Immediate feedback helps. After you've marked it up and properly kicked yourself for each and every mistake, resume the timer and begin the next passage.

EDIT: Also, you are probably retaining more than you think. Have you tried jumping right into the questions rather than revisiting the passage?
Last edited by objection_your_honor on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 pm

You should know that you don't know what is going on after the first sentence. If you can't gain some tidbit of understand from each and every sentence as you read it, you know you missed something.

Cerebro

Bronze

Post by Cerebro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:02 pm

WTF did I just read?

skim764

New

Post by skim764 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:25 pm

I'd recommend Manhattan RC guide. Other than that, any improvement in the RC section comes from drilling RC. Questions will always be the same, it's just a matter of having your brain look for those questions.

My biggest improvement in the RC actually came about from slowing down my reading pace. During the times when I tried to speedily read through the passages, I'd always get stuck on a question or two and my accuracy would be all over the place.

lsatkid007

Bronze

Post by lsatkid007 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it. Thanks

Just for kicks. I tired reading an article from The New Yorker (it's suppose to be a piece of cake) while timing myself. Holly shit!!! I couldn't even comprehend the f****** article. So it's clear I need to slow the hell down but when ever I start my stop watch I for some reason I seem to be skimming and not reading.

Any suggestions to get over the time issue hanging over my head. Yes, I know I could just not time myself but unfortunately I need to do these sections timed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cerebro

Bronze

Post by Cerebro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm

I don't know if this will help you or not, but it worked for me. Take a few deep breaths and relax. Start your timer and turn it around so you don't look at it. Read an RC passage at a speed slightly slower than what you think is necessary to fully comprehend the passage, but do not answer the questions. Make a note of the time. Repeat on a different text, but slightly increaase the speed.

What I found is that I read a lot quicker than I thought I did. When I tried to "go fast" I had the same problem you are reporting, but when I found out how much time I actually used when reading the passage, I was surprised that it was much less time than I thought it would be. I have since learned to better gauge and manipulate my perception of time.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylemba

New

Post by kylemba » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:58 pm

I usually read the first paragraph slowly and I could usually tell if I was going to be able to easily understand a passage or not just from the first few sentences. (passage about mid evil law and courts = yeah not going to happen). If I knew I was up for a difficult passage I would continue reading slowing instead of a quick read. That usually only took a minute or so more and helped a little.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:04 pm

Oct. '08

Maxine Hong Kingston.

NEVER FORGET.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:03 am

You always want to understand what you read, but if you are really struggling, try relying on the structure of the passage to lead you to the answers.

For instance, there is usually a main point question. For a lot of passages, you can answer these without understanding anything. Look for words like however, rather, instead (of), but actually, and things of that nature. they will lead you to a main point. If this is to be the conclusion,there will be supporting sentences either above or below (not necessarily right above or below) so look wore words like since, they should, and things of that nature.

Not the best method, but it helps me on some of the more technical passages on topics I care nothing for.

Also, try a few passages without making any markings.

Best of luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”