retaking lsat to boost lsat avg. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
az21833

Silver

retaking lsat to boost lsat avg.

Post by az21833 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:26 pm

we know multiple lsats are treated two ways

1) schools took the highest or

2) schools average

say you get a 165 the first time since you were not feeling well. then the second time you get a 175 which is what you PT around. at this point your average is a 170 which isn't enough for many schools. Should you take a third and fourth time to bring that average closer to the 175?

mathematically the answer is for sure but im not sure exactly how this is viewed....

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Re: retaking lsat to boost lsat avg.

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:30 pm

az21833 wrote:we know multiple lsats are treated two ways

1) schools took the highest or

2) schools average

say you get a 165 the first time since you were not feeling well. then the second time you get a 175 which is what you PT around. at this point your average is a 170 which isn't enough for many schools. Should you take a third and fourth time to bring that average closer to the 175?

mathematically the answer is for sure but im not sure exactly how this is viewed....
Are you high? Just call the school and ask.

law2015

Bronze

Post by law2015 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:31 pm

schools look at your highest score so that would not be a good strategy and is just a time sink.

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 pm

there are t14 schools that explicitly state they take the average of all of your LSAT scores.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:41 pm

az21833 wrote:there are t14 schools that explicitly state they take the average of all of your LSAT scores.
Most evidence points to the fact that no schools do this anymore no matter what they may say.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:50 pm

How long ago did you get the 165? You're talking about potentially taking it four times in total, but will you have time to do that without running afoul of the "no more than three times in two years" rule?

If you can only take it once more, the highest you're going to raise you average is a little over 173, and that's with a perfect third score. If instead you get another 175, that doesn't even get you up to a 172.

tl;dr version - if you already have a high of 175 and an average of 170, I don't think you're in a good position to make a significant improvement.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 pm

A school hasn't even be named yet. Test takers are down. Why in the name of Based God would you plan on both a third and fourth try?

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:A school hasn't even be named yet. Test takers are down. Why in the name of Based God would you plan on both a third and fourth try?
I was guessing NYU.
But either way, I agree that it's not a good idea. Just apply and see where the chips fall. Many schools that claim to average scores accept people who have averages lower than what they normally accept, which makes it seem as though these schools don't actually average the scores. (ex: a guy from my school got into NYU with a 161 first score and 175 second score).

az21833

Silver

Post by az21833 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:37 am

was more of a theoretical question to get my head around the lsat averaging practice. if this is indeed the case, it would make sense to take the test a third time to boost the average if you are confident you can repeat what you did in the second taking. but i never hear of anybody doing this. more curious than anything else. this is assuming timing of application is a constant - say you are applying next cycle and could potentially get your average up by taking the feb test

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Silver

Post by A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 am

az21833 wrote:was more of a theoretical question to get my head around the lsat averaging practice. if this is indeed the case, it would make sense to take the test a third time to boost the average if you are confident you can repeat what you did in the second taking. but i never hear of anybody doing this. more curious than anything else. this is assuming timing of application is a constant - say you are applying next cycle and could potentially get your average up by taking the feb test
I asked if you were high because you are thinking about something that schools have no incentive to do and without any evidence. Just ask the school that you can't get into now. Are you saying you want to get multiple 180's to raise your average? At some point the school is going to think you're crazy and reject all your scores and call the cops.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:35 am

No school averages.

Do not retake an lsat to boost an average.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”