JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Dr. Dre

Gold

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 31, 2013 12:28 am

ManoftheHour wrote:I love you guys. I hope we all get 170+s.

dood hope you that that 170+ bro

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:36 am

I did 5 RC sections today - someone give me a fucking medal.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:I did 5 RC sections today - someone give me a fucking medal.
that's pussy shit — bro

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
that's pussy shit — bro
I guess it's not THAT impressive. But still, boring as hell

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Fri May 31, 2013 12:59 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
that's pussy shit — bro
False. It is absolutely not pussy shit. Prove me otherwise Dre, and I might agree with you here, but honestly I doubt you, or anyone can.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 am

I didn't realize you were a sadist.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri May 31, 2013 2:23 am

Just retook PT 66. 178. Frustrating, because it was a retake (took it in February). I want to be getting 180s on the most recent tests, damn it.

PT 66:
RC: -2
LR1: -0
LG: -0
LR2: -1
Total: -3 (RS: 97)

Curve was surprisingly rough.

God damn tone Qs on RC always kill me. The editors of the RC passages and I clearly interpret authors' attitude differently. I do just fine understanding what the author is saying and how they feel about an issue (or else I wouldn't be doing well on the other Qs), but those tone Qs always have such bizarre answer choices. Definitely require the most subjective interpretation on the test.

Anyone have any tips for these? Or know of any good resources for help with these?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri May 31, 2013 2:36 am

I don't think I have ever gotten one correct. Clearly I don't know enough adjectives.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 31, 2013 2:37 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just retook PT 66. 178. Frustrating, because it was a retake (took it in February). I want to be getting 180s on the most recent tests, damn it.

PT 66:

God damn tone Qs on RC always kill me. The editors of the RC passages and I clearly interpret authors' attitude differently. I do just fine understanding what the author is saying and how they feel about an issue (or else I wouldn't be doing well on the other Qs), but those tone Qs always have such bizarre answer choices. Definitely require the most subjective interpretation on the test.

Anyone have any tips for these? Or know of any good resources for help with these?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Fri May 31, 2013 2:56 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just retook PT 66. 178. Frustrating, because it was a retake (took it in February). I want to be getting 180s on the most recent tests, damn it.

PT 66:

Lulz. All the boys love my mad LSAT skills.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri May 31, 2013 3:16 am

PT 66:

With these questions, are you struggling between two answer choices? If you are, the more toned down one is always the answer. Tone questions to be pretty one dimensional. For example:

This following example is from an actual LSAT that has been edited changed to avoid copyright.

The author's view toward blah blah blah described as:

A) Unbridled enthusiasm
B) Qualified approval
C) Absolute neutrality
D) Rejection towards it
E) Strong hostility

Usually by reading the passage, you have some idea of whether the author supports something, feels neutral about it, or disagrees. After you've figured that out, it's pretty easy to pinpoint the answer. Answers like A are always wrong. If A is right, then B HAS to be right. If someone is unbridled with enthusiasm, he must have qualified approval. But since we can't have two right answers, B has to be the right answer because it's way easier to establish. Same goes for D and E. If someone has strong hostility towards something, then one has to reject it.

In this example, if I get the sense that the author is supportive of whatever claims the question is targeting, I'd pick B and not look back. If he's neutral, then C. If he's against it, then D. Looking at these answer choices, I wouldn't even touch A and E.

I've always used this method and I don't remember the last time I've missed a tone RC question. Like ever.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Fri May 31, 2013 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri May 31, 2013 3:22 am

My new hero <3

NoWorries

New

Post by NoWorries » Fri May 31, 2013 4:18 am

Manofthehour is right on there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 31, 2013 6:29 am

180 poast, manofthehour

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 31, 2013 6:59 am

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Fri May 31, 2013 7:58 am

Hey guys,
Regarding photo ID, what did you use, and how old was the photo you used? My most recent ID photo is about four years old, and I just realized that this may be too old for LSAC usage.
Have any of you who've taken the test before encountered this issue?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 31, 2013 8:05 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 am

Do you guys drill before PTing, or jump right into PTing when you start studying and save the drilling for after when you are reviewing?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 am

patfeeney wrote:Hey guys,
Regarding photo ID, what did you use, and how old was the photo you used? My most recent ID photo is about four years old, and I just realized that this may be too old for LSAC usage.
Have any of you who've taken the test before encountered this issue?
Mine's fairly old, and although most people would be able to tell it's the same person, you can definitely tell it's not a recent photo. I had no problems.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Fri May 31, 2013 10:52 am

ManoftheHour wrote:

PT 66:

With these questions, are you struggling between two answer choices? If you are, the more toned down one is always the answer. Tone questions to be pretty one dimensional. For example:

This following example is from an actual LSAT that has been edited changed to avoid copyright.

The author's view toward blah blah blah described as:

A) Unbridled enthusiasm
B) Qualified approval
C) Absolute neutrality
D) Rejection towards it
E) Strong hostility

Usually by reading the passage, you have some idea of whether the author supports something, feels neutral about it, or disagrees. After you've figured that out, it's pretty easy to pinpoint the answer. Answers like A are always wrong. If A is right, then B HAS to be right. If someone is unbridled with enthusiasm, he must have qualified approval. But since we can't have two right answers, B has to be the right answer because it's way easier to establish. Same goes for D and E. If someone has strong hostility towards something, then one has to reject it.

In this example, if I get the sense that the author is supportive of whatever claims the question is targeting, I'd pick B and not look back. If he's neutral, then C. If he's against it, then D. Looking at these answer choices, I wouldn't even touch A and E.

I've always used this method and I don't remember the last time I've missed a tone RC question. Like ever.
I can't really recall encountering one of these questions where the correct answer is a negative one. I think it's usually the slightly positive answer, and rarely the neutral answer. I can only recall getting one of these wrong (vocabulary issue), but I could be wrong.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Fri May 31, 2013 1:30 pm

PT 64 today:

LR1: -2 (#15, 23. Misinterpreted the context of "indifferent" in #15. #23 was just a biotch.)
LG: -1 (#3. Surprisingly time-consuming section, but missing this question was inexcusable)
LR: -1 (#14. Can't believe I missed this one. Not reading thoroughly.)
RC: -2 (#12, 19. #12 makes me furious (see my topic).)

Raw: 95 ---> Scaled: 175

Worst PT in a long time, but I'm honestly okay with it. High scores and a lack of fresh material had let me slip into complete burn-out mode these last couple weeks, and this is just the wake-up call I needed. The LR sections were surprisingly tricky, and I just made some silly mistakes on RC/LG. I only have PTs 65, 66, and 67 to go; hopefully I'll get back to form over the next week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Fri May 31, 2013 2:46 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:PT 64 today:

LR1: -2 (#15, 23. Misinterpreted the context of "indifferent" in #15. #23 was just a biotch.)
LG: -1 (#3. Surprisingly time-consuming section, but missing this question was inexcusable)
LR: -1 (#14. Can't believe I missed this one. Not reading thoroughly.)
RC: -2 (#12, 19. #12 makes me furious (see my topic).)

Raw: 95 ---> Scaled: 175

Worst PT in a long time, but I'm honestly okay with it. High scores and a lack of fresh material had let me slip into complete burn-out mode these last couple weeks, and this is just the wake-up call I needed. The LR sections were surprisingly tricky, and I just made some silly mistakes on RC/LG. I only have PTs 65, 66, and 67 to go; hopefully I'll get back to form over the next week.
On the bright side, your disappointing/worst PT is still over the median for literally every law school in existence. Congrats!

lawschoolplease1

Bronze

Post by lawschoolplease1 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:59 pm

my PTs are all over the place--low to high 170s. One was a 168 just last week. :shock:
i usually just get tired during the test, and make silly mistakes.
im hoping test anxiety will pull me through.

congrats to all of those who are PTing closely at your target range though!!!!!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri May 31, 2013 3:04 pm

rebexness wrote:My new hero <3
My work here is done.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 31, 2013 3:36 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.