JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
griffin.811

Bronze

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by griffin.811 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:56 pm

The-Specs wrote:Just finished PT 41.

LR: -4
LG: -3
LR: -5
RC: -0

Raw: 89
Scaled: 170!!!

This is my first time over 170 since may 2012 right before my first LSAT and to be honest that one was a fluke. To be fair though, this one could be too, I have never done better than -5 on RC before and usually I am much closer to -5/6 total for my LR sections. Bazaar but however it worked out I am feeling good about scoring a 170 on the back of scoring a 169 this last monday.

Can't wait for PT 42 on Saturday.

Also: final game of LG almost screwed me over because i read "either" instead of "neither". It cost me 6 mins and made me rush on the third game in which i got my -3. Carelessness is going to kill me.
I made that same mistake, only didnt realize it until I was reviewing smh! That may have put me in 165-168 range... got all 7 of those questions wrong and ended with 161 or 162 I think. That would've been my highest score yet.

Good work!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:01 pm

Good Job Specs and Weathercoins! Solid scores. Echoing what Can I live said earlier — this thread is killing it!

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 pm

griffin.811 wrote: I made that same mistake, only didnt realize it until I was reviewing smh! That may have put me in 165-168 range... got all 7 of those questions wrong and ended with 161 or 162 I think. That would've been my highest score yet.

Good work!
Good work to you. I am sure that you could have made the some serious headway if you had read it properly. If you missed 7 on LG and still got a 162 you are headed in the right direction. I just feel like we are all going to blow the top off of this come June.

ETA: Thanks Cardozo

bdeans91

New

Post by bdeans91 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:15 pm

With regards to reading the question type vs. the stimulus for LR, I've been doing the way the Powerscore LR Bible suggests.

And it has been working, but I have been drilling question type by question type, so identification of question type hasn't been an issue yet.

May hop over to that strategy of reading the question first if I encounter struggles, but Powerscore vehemently argues against it.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:42 pm

I read the question stem first and then the stimulus as advocated by Manhattan and opposed by PowerScore. Like Griffin said, I like to know what my task is beforehand so I read the stimulus with a particular strategy in mind depending on what question type it is.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:48 pm

bdeans91 wrote: May hop over to that strategy of reading the question first if I encounter struggles, but Powerscore vehemently argues against it.
Yes they do argue against it. However, I think that it is more difficult to read an argument, then the answer stem, then to proceed to the answer choices and consistently select the correct answer on the first fifteen questions specifically. I point this out because you should aim to answer the first fifteen in 17 minutes or less, and you will be more likely to need to reread the argument after you read the answer stem, and an additional time when you narrow the answer choices down to two, that analysis will probably take too long. Just a thought.

bdeans91

New

Post by bdeans91 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:00 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
bdeans91 wrote: May hop over to that strategy of reading the question first if I encounter struggles, but Powerscore vehemently argues against it.
Yes they do argue against it. However, I think that it is more difficult to read an argument, then the answer stem, then to proceed to the answer choices and consistently select the correct answer on the first fifteen questions specifically. I point this out because you should aim to answer the first fifteen in 17 minutes or less, and you will be more likely to need to reread the argument after you read the answer stem, and an additional time when you narrow the answer choices down to two, that analysis will probably take too long. Just a thought.
Point taken.

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:19 pm

Just reviewed all of my LR mistakes from both sections and made a note to come back to the ones I still struggled with.

Keep up the grind everybody.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Some review tonight and PT50 tomorrow. Let's Go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:48 pm

109 days aint that far away..

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 pm

I just took my first PT (June 2007) since scoring a 167 in October 2010--and got a 162. I'm not sure how to feel about this. My original diagnostic way back in the day was a 154, so I'm definitely not back at square 1. I reviewed for about 6 hours over the last few days before the PT today, and I plan to study about 20 hours/week until test day. Shooting for 172+

Any retakers ITT remember their first PT score while studying for the retake?

John_rizzy_rawls

Gold

Post by John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 pm

weathercoins wrote:109 days aint that far away..
Stop that. You stop that right now.

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:34 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
This threw me into panic mode just now.. I'm no where near where I want to be and I don't know what to do...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crazyrobin

Bronze

Post by crazyrobin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:39 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
This threw me into panic mode just now.. I'm no where near where I want to be and I don't know what to do...
Drill the shit out of LR/LG, this is what I have done for three months.

Keep reading non-fiction materials. Relax, you can do it.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Oh jeez, I think I just made enemies here. Sorry y'all, just procrastinating earlier and saw that.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:51 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
I see the problem here, because neither the facts, nor a reminder of them is going to change how you approach this test, the issue must be mental, you're getting unnecessarily anxious. You guys got this. This thread will kill it in June. Don't you see, you're looking at it the wrong way, it's just another PT in a room with some scrubs who wish they were as prepared as you. It's an opportunity to get into (insert school in the t10), a chance to get that full ride, and the first step on your path to big law.

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:06 am

eliztudorr wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
Also realize that you have literally every possible resource to succeed available at your fingertips.

When struggling to pick up a concept take joy in the fact that you have identified a hole in your game, and are working on fixing it.

If you keep that mindset, you will be fully prepared and ready to crush (along with the rest of us in this thread) on test day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:19 am

lol or is it?

We got enough time yall, don't sweat it.

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:32 am

snapdragon25 wrote:I just took my first PT (June 2007) since scoring a 167 in October 2010--and got a 162. I'm not sure how to feel about this. My original diagnostic way back in the day was a 154, so I'm definitely not back at square 1. I reviewed for about 6 hours over the last few days before the PT today, and I plan to study about 20 hours/week until test day. Shooting for 172+

Mine was a 163 and now I am breaking 170. Don't worry, give it time, it will come back.

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:47 am

The-Specs wrote:
snapdragon25 wrote:I just took my first PT (June 2007) since scoring a 167 in October 2010--and got a 162. I'm not sure how to feel about this. My original diagnostic way back in the day was a 154, so I'm definitely not back at square 1. I reviewed for about 6 hours over the last few days before the PT today, and I plan to study about 20 hours/week until test day. Shooting for 172+

Mine was a 163 and now I am breaking 170. Don't worry, give it time, it will come back.

I was in the same situation,i was burnt for Feb Lsat and ended up withdrawing my test,i was scoring 179 then i took a test, two days ago, without getting enough sleep,and scored much lower,thats normal ,u just need to drill and go back to practicing ,it happens to all of us.
Guys i am falling sometimes into moral lapse and need some motivation to study with more enthusiasm and motivation,can someone advise me what to do?

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:09 am

natashka85 wrote:
I was in the same situation,i was burnt for Feb Lsat and ended up withdrawing my test,i was scoring 179 then i took a test, two days ago, without getting enough sleep,and scored much lower,thats normal ,u just need to drill and go back to practicing ,it happens to all of us.
Guys i am falling sometimes into moral lapse and need some motivation to study with more enthusiasm and motivation,can someone advise me what to do?
The corner office. Retirement at 50. Boozing with your spouse around the world while your kids are away. Big law. End of story.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

j.anderson

New

Post by j.anderson » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 am

Daily_Double wrote:
natashka85 wrote:
The corner office. Retirement at 50. Boozing with your spouse around the world while your kids are away. Big law. End of story.
Alternatively, like me, the ability to work with something you love well beyond the age of 50.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:47 am

Sucks that there isnt an unlimited supply of test to practice with, although I must say we are in a much better position than those that took this thing before us in that regard. Pretty sure I've seen every LR question from 7-41 at least twice (I probably should just bite the bullet and buy PT's 1-6). Fortunately(?), When I retake the sections, I still get one or two wrong so I haven't remembered all the answers. Instead of scoring now, I use a Pass/Fail, more than 1 wrong --> Fail.

Anyone else in a similar situation? What's your approach?

0913djp

Bronze

Post by 0913djp » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 am

@griffin

I think, the pass/fail is a good approach. -1 is pretty much my average so if you get -2, then definitely consider doing that one over in the future.

Going to drill for two hours today then start the LR portion of my studies. Taking a week off from looking at games (chapters) and just going to drill and read up on LR.

calawgrl

Bronze

Post by calawgrl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Daily_Double not to be creepy lol but I've been stalking your progress via this thread and I really wan't to get to the point you're at, how long have you been studying up until now?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”