JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
wtrc

Gold

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by wtrc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:14 pm

Just took PT67. Not grading yet, but damn, the second RC passage was hard. And the last LG threw me off- actually had to take an extra few minutes. LRs seemed pretty easy, and finished LR1 in 25 minutes.

Because of RC/LG, not expecting a good score here. Better now than June..! Has anyone taken 67 yet here?

arcanecircle

New

Post by arcanecircle » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 pm

weathercoins wrote:Just took PT67. Not grading yet, but damn, the second RC passage was hard. And the last LG threw me off- actually had to take an extra few minutes. LRs seemed pretty easy, and finished LR1 in 25 minutes.

Because of RC/LG, not expecting a good score here. Better now than June..! Has anyone taken 67 yet here?
LR seemed easy, RC was brutal (But its my weakest section by far, could be biased), games seemed easy, with a few gimmicks in the rules.

Most people complained about the !Kung's passage, but Lorenzo Tucker owned the shit out of me, the questions in that passage were hard and the passage as a whole felt like nothing I've ever read before on RC.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:25 pm

arcanecircle wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Just took PT67. Not grading yet, but damn, the second RC passage was hard. And the last LG threw me off- actually had to take an extra few minutes. LRs seemed pretty easy, and finished LR1 in 25 minutes.

LR seemed easy, RC was brutal (But its my weakest section by far, could be biased), games seemed easy, with a few gimmicks in the rules.

Most people complained about the !Kung's passage, but Lorenzo Tucker owned the shit out of me, the questions in that passage were hard and the passage as a whole felt like nothing I've ever read before on RC.
Yeah, I ended up doing okay (but with a few extra minutes on LG).

RC -4 (8, 10, 14, 17) Took 35 minutes
LR1 -1 (13) Finished in 26:30
LG -1 (16) Took ~38 minutes, but had to take a quick wrong number phone call at work. Without extra time would have gotten 2 more wrong.
LR2 -2 (8,23) Took 31:30.

92 raw, 172 scaled.

The !Kung thing killed- 3 of my 4 wrong were from that passage. Definitely need to review the RC there.

lsatyolo

Gold

Post by lsatyolo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:26 pm

So, I'm taking powerscore's prep course starting in April. I've read LR & LG bibles and I don't really know where I should go from here until the course starts. Any suggestions? I've been reworking some of the games I didn't do well on in the bible while under timed conditions and so far I do worse or not much better than I originally had when I was going through the book. I'm starting to feel like I'm neglecting LR & RC.

Eberry

Diamond

Post by Eberry » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:31 pm

Last edited by Eberry on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Squintz805

New

Post by Squintz805 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:35 pm

PT 12 S4 Q22

I think I missing something completely, Can someone help me out here

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:53 pm

so is this how study partners work? looks like everyone mostly ( and from observance of other study group threads for october/december/etc) just post their PT results.

That how study partners in real life work as well? you guys just tell eachother of your high PT scores, and make the other person jealous?

Thought there would be a lot of dialogue , a lot of working together on problems, strategy breakdown, what works for you, and etc etc

homie1515

Bronze

Post by homie1515 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:58 pm

ask away... no one is going to solicit their advice unrequested... I mean, they can, but why would they do that?

And no one is posting scores here to make anyone else jealous. I think they are posting their scores to get validation for their hardwork from people who understand how tough it is to study for the LSAT and to get a good score.

EDIT: Validation not in a needy way, but in a recognition way... didnt wanna sound like i was badmouthing all you people.

Squintz805

New

Post by Squintz805 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:so is this how study partners work? looks like everyone mostly ( and from observance of other study group threads for october/december/etc) just post their PT results.
That how study partners in real life work as well? you guys just tell eachother of your high PT scores, and make the other person jealous?
Thought there would be a lot of dialogue , a lot of working together on problems, strategy breakdown, what works for you, and etc etc
This guy.

Call me crazy, but posting your PT results alone is a lot more effective than what your doing by actually posting this statement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:34 pm

Squintz805 wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:so is this how study partners work? looks like everyone mostly ( and from observance of other study group threads for october/december/etc) just post their PT results.
This guy.

Call me crazy, but posting your PT results alone is a lot more effective than what your doing by actually posting this statement.

somebody has to ask the tough questions. This is my 3rd retake, first two times were with 2 months study so basically cramed. I got 6 months till October so I am studying my butt off this time with a tutor that score 178.

I plan to be more active on this website. In the past, I didn't get too much out of the other study threads. Just guys posting their PT which were my goal scores and them complaining about it. Didn't help out that much.
would rather document my PT in a word doc and review/reflect it there so I can assess my strength/weakness

was hoping this study group/study partner thread would be more working together on problems, breaking down a particular LG/LR. Talking about RC, talking about how u approach LR questions, how you time your self, how you prepare for test day, how you fix your sleeping cycle to be wide awake early in the AM, how much time you put in weekly, etc etc

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:49 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
Squintz805 wrote:
This guy.

somebody has to ask the tough questions. This is my 3rd retake, first two times were with 2 months study so basically cramed. I got 6 months till October so I am studying my butt off this time with a tutor that score 178.

I plan to be more active on this website. In the past, I didn't get too much out of the other study threads. Just guys posting their PT which were my goal scores and them complaining about it. Didn't help out that much.
would rather document my PT in a word doc and review/reflect it there so I can assess my strength/weakness

was hoping this study group/study partner thread would be more working together on problems, breaking down a particular LG/LR. Talking about RC, talking about how u approach LR questions, how you time your self, how you prepare for test day, how you fix your sleeping cycle to be wide awake early in the AM, how much time you put in weekly, etc etc
We do talk about that stuff, but with a lot of derp in between. I review on Skype with a user from this site that I met in a prior study buddy thread. Reach out if you want a more interactive partner.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 pm

I post my PT scores to compare with other's results, and see if we have any missed problems or troublesome sections in common. 98% of the LSAT questions I see are things that most people can figure out on their own. Those occasional nasty problems are discussed fairly regularly here. I enjoy seeing other people making progress and bringing their scores up. I'll save the avarice for when I get to law school.

And, as other's have said, it is way more about the moral support of "I'm going through this too" than looking for hardcore collaboration. If you have questions on a specific problem, people are more than happy to help. But, I spend far too much time studying on my own to want to organize even more hours trying to do unfocused work with people who are on a different level (lower or higher) than I am.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:14 pm

The first 100 pages are full of stuff like that.

A lot of us have moved on to group review or are trying to avoid distractions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Nobody is forcing you to be here. I post my PT scores because I've been on this thread for months, with a lot of others, and it's nice to see progress- among any of us. I post it because a lot of times we all struggle with similar problems or at least similar issues, and it's nice to compare and discuss. We don't do it to make anyone else jealous. We could care less about what some people on a message board that we probably will never meet in real life think of us- either negatively or positively....

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:54 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
Squintz805 wrote:
This guy.

You might want to read the thread- there's a ton of that!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:46 am

Zephyr airlines! JFC!

Only missed the one i left blank though.
And went -2 on that LG section, which is my best LG yet!!!

arcanecircle

New

Post by arcanecircle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:52 am

In a slump with RC, any recent revelations anyone wants to share? Its killing me here, pendulum swings from -0 to -8, with an average of I'd guess -6 off on that section. Manhattan's guide is done with, so I'm looking for more anecdotal types of stuff that's worked for some of you

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:02 am

Squintz805 wrote:PT 12 S4 Q22

I think I missing something completely, Can someone help me out here
The paradox is that people aged 35 who have gained one pound per year after 35 tended, on average, to live longer than those who maintained their weight. Yet, other studies say that people who gain weight tend to have more health problems that lower their life expectancy. So how is it that those that gained a pound a year after 35 tended to live longer than those that didn't?

A is irrelevant, we don't know how body weight affects life expectancy
B talks about losing weight whereas the stim is concerned with maintaining weight or increasing weight
C just comes WAY out of left field at first glance. But if you think about it, it's actually relevant since smokers, who are leaner and thus do not add weight as they age, tend to have lower life spans -- for obvious reasons. And nonsmokers, who gain weight, do not have health problems presumably because they don't smoke so the increase in weight does less damage to their health. This is a weird ass answer to be honest.
D this supports the paradox so it's wrong
E also supports the paradox and so is wrong

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:15 am

arcanecircle wrote:In a slump with RC, any recent revelations anyone wants to share? Its killing me here, pendulum swings from -0 to -8, with an average of I'd guess -6 off on that section. Manhattan's guide is done with, so I'm looking for more anecdotal types of stuff that's worked for some of you
I'm in the same boat. I've actually never gone -0 on RC so you're in a better position than I am, but my RC scores fluctuate like crazy and it's annoying as hell. Manhattan's RC guide is okay; granted I've only read it once so maybe going through it again a little more thoroughly would help. Also interested in hearing anecdotal evidence on what's helped some of you make gains in RC.

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:29 am

so does LSAT score really mean that much?

I know it is significant but let me give u my situation

I can either matriculate this fall to the local tier 3 schools that have accepted me, where I will pay full sticker or I can retake LSAT in October ( start studying now),get at least 10 points higher, and go to tier 1-3 schools.At the very least, I can get a substantial scholarship at the schools that have currently accepted me.

Despite nothing really changing in my app except for more work experience and my age. Might also get an additional letter of rec next cycle.

U think LSAT score really means this much? despite nothing else changing in my app other than work exp?

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:46 am

^ It means even MORE than that. The LSAT matters a LOT hence the reason so many people retake multiple times until they get a score they want. Definitely take all the time you need to make that 10 point gain. It will be worth it in the end.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:20 am

A 10 point gain could be worth 100,000 over the next three years and probably a million in lifetime earning potential.

Think about it.

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:13 am

rebexness wrote:A 10 point gain could be worth 100,000 over the next three years and probably a million in lifetime earning potential.

Think about it.

How? it's the same opportunities at T14 to Tier 3 ( not counting Big Law)

I have friends who work at the DA office and at some private practices. They say everyone comes from schools of all ranks there.

I also have friends that work at small or regional firms. They say the same things.

Big Law obviously is a different story but if they only take top 10% of a Tier 1 or Tier 2 school ( depending on location of course) that means 90% will probably end up in government,public service, or private practice where people from all schools end up?

am I right? this is what I have heard from alumni of my UG that I have talked to that are lawyers.

I do agree with u however on the merit based $$$ being handed out to me for a higher score.

Last question for the test takers that graduated from UG.
Where do you guys do your studying at? city library? do you study at a university library? I want to start studying at a University library, since the city library is full of babies crying or homeless people. However, I am worried about going to the University library since im not a student there. I don't wanna get in any trouble.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:00 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
rebexness wrote:A 10 point gain could be worth 100,000 over the next three years and probably a million in lifetime earning potential.

Think about it.

I have friends who work at the DA office and at some private practices. They say everyone comes from schools of all ranks there.

I also have friends that work at small or regional firms. They say the same things.

Big Law obviously is a different story but if they only take top 10% of a Tier 1 or Tier 2 school ( depending on location of course) that means 90% will probably end up in government,public service, or private practice where people from all schools end up?

am I right? this is what I have heard from alumni of my UG that I have talked to that are lawyers.

I do agree with u however on the merit based $$$ being handed out to me for a higher score.

Where do you guys do your studying at? city library? do you study at a university library? I want to start studying at a University library, since the city library is full of babies crying or homeless people. However, I am worried about going to the University library since im not a student there. I don't wanna get in any trouble.
The bolded made me fucking loooooooooooool.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:08 am

armedwithamind wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:

Think about it.

The bolded made me fucking loooooooooooool.
Me too.

Dude go to lawschooltransparency.com

Also, keep in mind if you pay back sticker, buy the time you pay back all your loans you will have paid closer to like 500k due to interest. Local school for free or T14 is really the only acceptable choice. Get to studying.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”