Inconsistent Reading Comp. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
simplycatalina

Silver

Inconsistent Reading Comp.

Post by simplycatalina » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to improve my RC score. There are times when I get -0/-2, but then randomly I'll get anywhere from -5 to -8. This typically happens when I miss a lot on a single passage. I'm trying to figure out how to ensure that I miss as little as possible on the December test, and I feel like time is ticking. I have used the Powerscore RC Bible, the Manhattan Bible, and I took a Blueprint class. Still, I'm not entirely consistent. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions for improvement? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Locke89

New

Re: Inconsistent Reading Comp.

Post by Locke89 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:58 pm

From my experience I had a similar problem. I decided to re-drill around 10-15 straight full (old/previously completed) RC passages and then went -0 RC for the first time ever on a PT. I have since neglected RC and have been inconsistent again and I am going to try that strategy again. The thing that is making me inconsistent is that I have been getting lazy on my approach to RC, you need to anticipate the questions, read carefully and understand the passage and its components without getting bogged down in details, and not freak out when you get to an answer you can't solve. You should have a main point already in mind before you get to the questions otherwise you aren't reading it right. Some questions you will need to look back in the text longer than others, so prepare for that. When it comes to an answer you can't afford more time on then take a second to think which one makes sense in the context of the passage and you'll have a better chance of getting it right. Also have an idea of how to eliminate obvious wrong answers confidently and quickly move on from easier questions. When you drill this repeatedly it starts to become a habit and you get better.

bp shinners

Gold

Re: Inconsistent Reading Comp.

Post by bp shinners » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:This typically happens when I miss a lot on a single passage.
This is typically the reason for the swing-y nature of RC.

Are you noticing a pattern to which passages trip you up?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”