Give up on LSAT & Law School? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Decision?

Law isn't for everyone, quit while you're behind
51%
Explore a different method of studying
31%
Get tutoring
18%

Total votes: 49

Strange Clouds

New

Re: Give up on LSAT & Law School?

Post by Strange Clouds » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:38 pm

griffin.811 wrote:
Ende wrote:
Strange Clouds wrote:Been studying for the LSAT quasi full time since April. Preptest result two days ago was 148; no improvement since I started. I'm taking this to mean I should stop wasting my time and do something else with my life. I haven't studied since then due to complete dejection.

Thing is I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable. My family and friends are also expecting me to do Law School adding to the pressure even though I'm doing it more for me.

So my question is am I just stupid? (I honestly think this now). Should I throw in the towel and just do something else? I pretty much know the answer I just haven't told this to any one and would love feedback. Be as vicious as you need to be.

TL;DR - 148 LSAT after months of studying, should I just not do LS.

1.So you've been grinding since April and only clocked a 148. Ok, and? Also, if you didn't notice, that score will get you into law school. They are lower tiered programs, but you can still get in.

2. You want a better score? Good! Do what a lot of other people before you have. WORK YOUR ASS OFF!! GET OFF THE FORUMS AND HIT THE BOOKS!

3. You're not stupid. If you think this way, you will BEHAVE THIS WAY. I know, I have experience.

4. Ok, so you spent a ton of money on prep courses and have your score. Have you tried a tutor? Have you tried self-study? Are any of your friends kickin butt on the LSAT, and if they are, is your head up their ass looking for answers? No? WHY NOT?

5. I'm not cosigning an ounce of your shit! "Am I stupid"? WTF kind of question is that? THE PROBLEM CONTAINS THE SOLUTION! And WTF is this voting BS all about? Oh, so you want people to enforce the way you're thinking now to reconfirm your mindset?

6. "I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable". WTF???

Look, you can call me a dick. I'm very much ok with it, and I don't plan on changing. I was (and to a certain degree still am) in the same boat. Me? I could care less if it takes me 3 years to get a good score, and I don't care what it takes. I'm doing it, and its not open for discussion. Look at number 6. That's your reason for wanting to go to law school? Seriously? Are you sure you're committed?

YOU CAN GET A GOOD SCORE! Change it up! What areas were you good at, and if so, go get better at them. The logic games are a really fun way to de-stress, especially if LR is stressing you out. Start out with the simple linear games and move up. Find the LR questions you're good at and spend more time on them. Go grab the LRB and LGB off Amazon and start reading.

Also, I came across this and had to take a week off. Burnout! You may be experiencing the same thing with the workload the test prep companies are piling on.

So relax, get off the internet, eliminate the distractions, take a week or two off to plan a new attack and then execute. YOU CAN DO IT!

"Winning is a result of a deliberate plan"-Zigler
Second this. Very litle in life is given, if you want something you have to go get it, and more often than not if you want it so does someone else, which makes your job even that much harder.

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”
-The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch
Live by that.

You can definitely improve past the 140's, just depends on how bad you want it. Check out the forums, there are plenty of people that have done it, why should you be any different!?

1. Get a plan, and get some discipline. 3-4 hours a day/night in one sitting. Don't be all over the place. Find a space you like, turn off the TV, ipod and other distractions and get to work. Anyone can make excuses as to why this isnt possible, few will make it happen. Be one of the few.

2. As mentioned above YOU ARE NOT STUPID! You just need to change your method of studying, maybe even just a bit. Are you consistent with your prep? doesnt seem like it, so start there. Again NO EXCUSES! you mentioned that you have taken prep classes. Some will allow you to retake them free if you are unhappy with your scores (you may have to do a bit of convincing, but if you want it make it happen). Get enrolled and stick to the 3 hours a night.

Also, start out with very focused prep, and start basic. Get the Cambridge bundle and hit LGs. Basic Linear Balanced. Drill. Drill. Drill! Finally when you think you have that group down...Drill them again!! DO NOT STOP DRILLING LG! Even after you move onto the next section(grouping etc drill your old sections too.) You'll find the games build off of each other. Advanced linear, are the same as the basic with a few added inferences or something a little different to make the set up a little difficult.

**Apparently you are repeatedly doing poorly on certain section, use this to your advantage. I bet you only review why a certain answer was correct. Flip this! Do your Cambridge section, check it against the answers. Treat every question like you got it wrong. Go through each answer choice and prove that it is indeed incorrect. DO NOT LEAVE THE QUESTION UNITL YOU CAN PUT INTO WORDS WHY AN ANSWER IS INCORRECT.

3. Find a dedicated partner if you can.

You have a dream, go get it. Dont let this test keep you from doing what you want. Best of luck!

I really hope to see you around on the forum, can't stress this enough...STICK WITH IT!

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.”

Spot on. Thanks for the positive energy, will take your advice.

Strange Clouds

New

Post by Strange Clouds » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:52 pm

toshiroh wrote:Well, it sounds like you want to quit. So just quit and stop wasting time with this poll.
Yeah, every difficult decision boils down to "oh well I feel like like quitting so I might as well." If you're gonna tell me to quit at least come up with a better reason.

gguuueessttt

Bronze

Post by gguuueessttt » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Strange Clouds wrote:
toshiroh wrote:Well, it sounds like you want to quit. So just quit and stop wasting time with this poll.
Yeah, every difficult decision boils down to "oh well I feel like like quitting so I might as well." If you're gonna tell me to quit at least come up with a better reason.
The bottom line is no one on here actually cares what you do except you. People are giving advice based on the small amount of information you have provided. This information conveys that not only are you doing poorly on the LSAT, but you are also planning to go to law school for all the wrong reasons. Based on this information alone, yes, you should give up and not go to law school. That's really all there is to it. No one can "come up with a better reason" when you haven't provided us with any additional information. If you were doing poorly on the LSAT but had better reasons to want to go to law school, people would be responding differently. But as it is, with the information you've given us, it seems as though you should not go.

Strange Clouds

New

Post by Strange Clouds » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:19 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
Strange Clouds wrote:
The bottom line is no one on here actually cares what you do except you. People are giving advice based on the small amount of information you have provided. This information conveys that not only are you doing poorly on the LSAT, but you are also planning to go to law school for all the wrong reasons. Based on this information alone, yes, you should give up and not go to law school. That's really all there is to it. No one can "come up with a better reason" when you haven't provided us with any additional information. If you were doing poorly on the LSAT but had better reasons to want to go to law school, people would be responding differently. But as it is, with the information you've given us, it seems as though you should not go.
Yea I appreciate all advice with reason., I'm not asking or looking for any particular answer, fire away. But some half-baked response that the thread is a waste because she obviously knows herself what I really wanna do deserves to be called out.

warandpeace

Bronze

Post by warandpeace » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:47 pm

create a consistent schedule for yourself. give yourself another solid 5-6 months. set goals. try to get in good athletic condition as well as start eating healthy (if you don't already). Read more. cut out tv, limit internet. study a consistent amount of hours everyday (this includes weekends). make this fun for yourself. do it with a smile on your face. check out the lsat threads! take practice tests, and review all your answers!

i really believe you can improve, and so should you. give it another go, and maybe if that doesn't work out, move on to something else.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Strange Clouds wrote:Thing is I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable. My family and friends are also expecting me to do Law School adding to the pressure even though I'm doing it more for me.
I think most of the people giving you advice are ignoring this point. They have given some awesome advice on how to improve your LSAT score and fix your study problems, but are glossing over the fact that your reasons for attending law school are fundamentally unsound.

Don't go to law school because your friends and family want you, or because you think you'll get rich. Those are numbers one and two on the "DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL IF..." list.

You should really think very long and hard about whether or not law school is for you. Even with a great score, going for the wrong reasons sounds like a recipe for being miserable.

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:01 am

Strange Clouds wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:
Ende wrote:
Strange Clouds wrote:Been studying for the LSAT quasi full time since April. Preptest result two days ago was 148; no improvement since I started. I'm taking this to mean I should stop wasting my time and do something else with my life. I haven't studied since then due to complete dejection.

Thing is I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable. My family and friends are also expecting me to do Law School adding to the pressure even though I'm doing it more for me.

So my question is am I just stupid? (I honestly think this now). Should I throw in the towel and just do something else? I pretty much know the answer I just haven't told this to any one and would love feedback. Be as vicious as you need to be.

TL;DR - 148 LSAT after months of studying, should I just not do LS.

1.So you've been grinding since April and only clocked a 148. Ok, and? Also, if you didn't notice, that score will get you into law school. They are lower tiered programs, but you can still get in.

2. You want a better score? Good! Do what a lot of other people before you have. WORK YOUR ASS OFF!! GET OFF THE FORUMS AND HIT THE BOOKS!

3. You're not stupid. If you think this way, you will BEHAVE THIS WAY. I know, I have experience.

4. Ok, so you spent a ton of money on prep courses and have your score. Have you tried a tutor? Have you tried self-study? Are any of your friends kickin butt on the LSAT, and if they are, is your head up their ass looking for answers? No? WHY NOT?

5. I'm not cosigning an ounce of your shit! "Am I stupid"? WTF kind of question is that? THE PROBLEM CONTAINS THE SOLUTION! And WTF is this voting BS all about? Oh, so you want people to enforce the way you're thinking now to reconfirm your mindset?

6. "I wanted to go to law school because I thought it would be something that could afford me a decent life and might be enjoyable". WTF???

Look, you can call me a dick. I'm very much ok with it, and I don't plan on changing. I was (and to a certain degree still am) in the same boat. Me? I could care less if it takes me 3 years to get a good score, and I don't care what it takes. I'm doing it, and its not open for discussion. Look at number 6. That's your reason for wanting to go to law school? Seriously? Are you sure you're committed?

YOU CAN GET A GOOD SCORE! Change it up! What areas were you good at, and if so, go get better at them. The logic games are a really fun way to de-stress, especially if LR is stressing you out. Start out with the simple linear games and move up. Find the LR questions you're good at and spend more time on them. Go grab the LRB and LGB off Amazon and start reading.

Also, I came across this and had to take a week off. Burnout! You may be experiencing the same thing with the workload the test prep companies are piling on.

So relax, get off the internet, eliminate the distractions, take a week or two off to plan a new attack and then execute. YOU CAN DO IT!

"Winning is a result of a deliberate plan"-Zigler
Second this. Very litle in life is given, if you want something you have to go get it, and more often than not if you want it so does someone else, which makes your job even that much harder.

-The Last Lecture, Randy Pausch
Live by that.

You can definitely improve past the 140's, just depends on how bad you want it. Check out the forums, there are plenty of people that have done it, why should you be any different!?

1. Get a plan, and get some discipline. 3-4 hours a day/night in one sitting. Don't be all over the place. Find a space you like, turn off the TV, ipod and other distractions and get to work. Anyone can make excuses as to why this isnt possible, few will make it happen. Be one of the few.

2. As mentioned above YOU ARE NOT STUPID! You just need to change your method of studying, maybe even just a bit. Are you consistent with your prep? doesnt seem like it, so start there. Again NO EXCUSES! you mentioned that you have taken prep classes. Some will allow you to retake them free if you are unhappy with your scores (you may have to do a bit of convincing, but if you want it make it happen). Get enrolled and stick to the 3 hours a night.

Also, start out with very focused prep, and start basic. Get the Cambridge bundle and hit LGs. Basic Linear Balanced. Drill. Drill. Drill! Finally when you think you have that group down...Drill them again!! DO NOT STOP DRILLING LG! Even after you move onto the next section(grouping etc drill your old sections too.) You'll find the games build off of each other. Advanced linear, are the same as the basic with a few added inferences or something a little different to make the set up a little difficult.

**Apparently you are repeatedly doing poorly on certain section, use this to your advantage. I bet you only review why a certain answer was correct. Flip this! Do your Cambridge section, check it against the answers. Treat every question like you got it wrong. Go through each answer choice and prove that it is indeed incorrect. DO NOT LEAVE THE QUESTION UNITL YOU CAN PUT INTO WORDS WHY AN ANSWER IS INCORRECT.

3. Find a dedicated partner if you can.

You have a dream, go get it. Dont let this test keep you from doing what you want. Best of luck!

I really hope to see you around on the forum, can't stress this enough...STICK WITH IT!

Spot on. Thanks for the positive energy, will take your advice.
Anytime!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”