High RC and LR, not as high LG Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dec12

New

High RC and LR, not as high LG

Post by dec12 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Hey people, is there anyone else out there with high RC/LR and low LG? I consistently go -1/-0 on RC and -1/-2 on each LR section, yet my LG is at least -6, sometimes -7 or -8. If you improved on games, how did you do it?

gaud

Platinum

Re: High RC and LR, not as high LG

Post by gaud » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:57 pm

Have you looked at any prep materials?

Manhattan and Powerscore have great LG books.

This also may help: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/necessary-sufficient/

dec12

New

Post by dec12 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:13 am

I went through the entire Powerscore LGB, and it helped me, although not tremendously. Overall, I was not very impressed. I'll definitely have a look at that treatment of necc/suff, although I am already acquainted with those concepts.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:16 am

Manhattan's guide is better than PS, IMO.

Also, redo your games. Go through every game at least 3 times. Try different strategies; even if you get everything right. Can you make it faster? Can you be more efficient? Graph differently? Maybe a horizontal setup as opposed to vertical? The opposite?

Play with approaches

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:21 am

Wormfather wrote:I typically shy away from PS for people who dont have a natural affinity towards games and inferences.
Away from PS, and toward what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jump_man

Bronze

Post by jump_man » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:30 am

Are you able to score -0 on games if you take an un-timed section? There are plenty of diagramming shortcuts that will save you time, if that is your issue.
gaud wrote:Go through every game at least 3 times.
This is excellent advice. You should do every game that has ever been published - even the old, funky ones and the anomalous ones (like the bridges game). Best of luck!

Zensack

Bronze

Post by Zensack » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:38 am

Fine tuning your notation and practice, practice, practice are how you improve on games. It's my weak section as well, but I cut my average misses roughly in half over a month of studying.

dec12

New

Post by dec12 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:57 am

jump_man wrote:Are you able to score -0 on games if you take an un-timed section? There are plenty of diagramming shortcuts that will save you time, if that is your issue.
Can easily go -0 if un-timed. As a couple of you have suggested, I think it will help me to go through every game ever published. I will also take a look at the Manhattan system.

In related news, somehow, I went -2 on the LG in the PT I took today, no idea how. My previous best was -6, and the average was more like -7. Maybe I've become wiser since joining TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”