LG book recommendations anyone? please! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bulawschool

New

LG book recommendations anyone? please!

Post by bulawschool » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:16 am

Hi all, I understand that my question may be lame, but I seriously need some help please!

I have read Logic Games Bible (Powerscore) twice, and I just finished reviewing Manhattan LSAT LG, but I am still not too confident with LG. I need to get -0, but I am still getting a few questions wrong.
I am trying to invest in a good LG prep book, review it for about a week or so, and drill as many PT's as I can until my LSAT on Feb 9th.
I would greatly appreciate any book recommendations.
I am thinking about getting the Ultimate Setup Guide from Powerscore, but I am still open to any new suggestions.
Please, help a fellow LSATer out...:'(

SumStalwart

Bronze

Re: LG book recommendations anyone? please!

Post by SumStalwart » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:36 am

Honestly, I only used one LG book: Powerscore LG.

The rest of my AR progress came from doing practice problems. Honestly, I think that you should do un-timed problems until you can answer them flawlessly, and then start timing them. In order to finish all of the problems, you have to average 8:45 per game. However, if you can blow through one game, you'll have more time to spend on the others.

Practicing the set ups is the most important aspect. I found that I didn't agree with the power score method-- too many hypotheticals. Instead, just write down the rules, make the necessary deductions (e.g. if "x" is there, "y" cannot be there. If "y" is not there, "u" has to be there. Therefore if "x" then "u"--Don't actually write the deductions like that-- use a short hand), then tackle the problems. Do not be afraid to look at the prompt again.

Anyway, good luck with your preparations!

patel529

New

Post by patel529 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am

If you're only getting a few wrong in each LG section, you probably have the basics down (diagramming, deductions, etc). Look specifically at the questions you are missing - is there any specific type? For me, the toughest questions for the rule substitutions that come at the end of games. If you can isolate your toughest questions, you can focus on that rather than going over your entire LG strategy.

I used the PowerScore Bible to prepare, so I'm not really familiar with other LG books.

Good luck with your studies!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:36 am

SumStalwart wrote:Honestly, I only used one LG book: Powerscore LG.
The rest, copy lg problems from like the first three lsat series (3 copies each) and just work on real problems. I am paraphrasing pithypikes strategy so look up that thread for exactly which games to copy

Theopliske8711

Gold

Post by Theopliske8711 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:56 am

Get the Cambridge logic games set.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cerebro

Bronze

Post by Cerebro » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:00 pm

I want to take this opportunity to repeat what others have already said, but I will attempt to make it sound original.

You've already read the LRB, twice. If you want to do well on LG, it is not necessary to read another LG book. However, it is necessary that you practice. After spending many, many hours practicing LG, repeating the games over and again, I have brought my average time per game down significantly.

When I first started working on LG skills, some games took me 20-30 minutes to solve. That was before reading the LRB and before practicing. Now, I am consistently solving the same type of games in 5-8 minutes. I still occasionally run into games that require a little more time than that, but my speed now is nothing like what it was before. Did I mention that I also answer all the questions correctly? Well, I do.

I highly recommend purchasing all of the logic games in PDF format. Cambridge LSAT has two different bundles of LG. You can get the games from PTs 1-38 grouped by type, or you can buy all of the LG sections from PTs 1-66. I recommend the latter. Having these in PDF format is really the best way to go, because you can just keep printing out more copies of the games that you need to practice.

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:08 pm

Theoretical books will only take you so far. To make further progress, you should focus on mastering logic games through practice.

If you feel you really need more outside resources, you should try some walkthroughs to confirm that you're doing the games optimally. 7Sage has free videos that explain every modern logic game: http://7sage.com/logic-game-explanations/

I've published a book (Hacking the LSAT) that explains every questions in LSATs 29-38. I wrote the book because I think this kind of walkthrough is more useful than theory. It includes steps to make every game setup, and how to apply them to the questions, with lots of diagrams. People have told me they find it useful.

But honestly, your best bet is just to sit down, and do a bunch of games. That will let you develop an intuition for them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”