February 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Holynorth

Bronze

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by Holynorth » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:21 am

Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 am

PT68 today for me and some drilling later. I guess we can expect one tough game, one sequencing game, and a shitload of principle support questions in LR.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 am

chickpea wrote:Drilling definitely helped me a ton though I spent about a week and a half just focusing on drilling LR questions by type (I was only doing two or so hours a day though). I'm pretty confident that drilling LR will help you as well. I would recommend skimming the Manhattan LR guide (a digital version is available online for immediate download, albeit for a price). After that I would drill as much as you can (within reason)during these next two days and try to fit in one more PT if you can. Good luck!
Chickpea, did you use the Cambridge hard copy books by Volume for drilling or their bundle packets?

Good luck to you this weekend...!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:29 am

BlaqBella wrote:
chickpea wrote:Drilling definitely helped me a ton though I spent about a week and a half just focusing on drilling LR questions by type (I was only doing two or so hours a day though). I'm pretty confident that drilling LR will help you as well. I would recommend skimming the Manhattan LR guide (a digital version is available online for immediate download, albeit for a price). After that I would drill as much as you can (within reason)during these next two days and try to fit in one more PT if you can. Good luck!
Chickpea, did you use the Cambridge hard copy books by Volume for drilling or their bundle packets?

Good luck to you this weekend...!

I used the Cambridge hard book: "LSAT Logical Reasoning By Type: Volume 2"

On another note, I'm really nervous that LSAC is going to reschedule the test at my center due to the blizzard! That would just be the worst :( I feel like I'm all primed and ready to go right now. Plus I want my core back asap since I'm applying this cycle.

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:34 am

I think for my pre-LSAT prep I'm going to do a couple hard LG's I've mastered: dinosaurs, snakes/lizards/, stained glass, an LR section I did well on, and a tough RC science passage. Should get my brain in LSAT-mode.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Jcastro1 wrote:I think for my pre-LSAT prep I'm going to do a couple hard LG's I've mastered: dinosaurs, snakes/lizards/, stained glass, an LR section I did well on, and a tough RC science passage. Should get my brain in LSAT-mode.
If this is on test day, I wouldn't grade them. Don't need any wrong answers sending you into panic mode.

Thats my plan for June anyway. get there early, Bring 2 LG's, some selected easy LR questions, and 1 RC passage. Do them to get my mind ready prepped for the test, but I will not be grading any of them.

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Scrapping my PT68 plan. Just going to do the games and maybe look over LR. At this point, I feel burnt out and what will one more PT do. May even do harm if I get <170. Diminishing returns definitely.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Jcastro1 wrote:Scrapping my PT68 plan. Just going to do the games and maybe look over LR. At this point, I feel burnt out and what will one more PT do. May even do harm if I get <170. Diminishing returns definitely.

I think that's a good decision to make. Some relaxation/chill time is probably going to help you a lot more than another PT is at this point.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:38 pm

chickpea wrote:
Jcastro1 wrote:Scrapping my PT68 plan. Just going to do the games and maybe look over LR. At this point, I feel burnt out and what will one more PT do. May even do harm if I get <170. Diminishing returns definitely.

I think that's a good decision to make. Some relaxation/chill time is probably going to help you a lot more than another PT is at this point.
besides the games I found PT68 to be pretty easy. If you can take it sporadically throughout the day you get the benefit of drilling while at least knowing what you may have scored.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:01 pm

TheThriller wrote:PT 68 was perfect up until the 3rd game which absolutely wrecked me for the 4th (which was also hard?)
Yeah.... I just took PT 68, worst I've done on games in months. Absolute train-wreck.

RC: -6
LR: -1
LR: -0
LG: -8

exp LG: -5

86/101 for a 168

7 of incorrect answers on LG came on the last 2 games. I was only like 12 minutes in getting to the third game even. I REALLY suck at 3 ordering games and only had 5 minutes left for game #3. Not sure what happened on RC either. I don't hear about people like me who are dominant at LR but are mediocre at the other two sections very often.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:03 pm

Praying for relative ordering and conditional grouping games come Saturday

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:10 pm

chickpea wrote:I used the Cambridge hard book: "LSAT Logical Reasoning By Type: Volume 2"
Thanks chickpea!

Jcastro1

Bronze

Post by Jcastro1 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:24 pm

That last game on PT68...holy...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:36 pm

Jcastro1 wrote:That last game on PT68...holy...
That game just destroyed me as well. The first two were a breeze, the third was semi-okay but I only had about 8 min when I got to the last game... and it was a mess. Going over it right now.

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:05 pm

chickpea wrote:
That game just destroyed me as well. The first two were a breeze, the third was semi-okay but I only had about 8 min when I got to the last game... and it was a mess. Going over it right now.
Zones is like child-play compared to that beast.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:07 pm

dusters wrote:
chickpea wrote:
Zones is like child-play compared to that beast.
Definitely. I didn't think zones was all that bad.

DLA

New

Post by DLA » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:14 pm

Ugh just practiced RC from 68 and 42, got -7 and -5 respectively. Any suggestions for last minute build up? this is getting crazy. I don't understand how I could have lost all those points. Argh. And now, a day before the test, I have time management issues.

Any advice for taking care of time and ANY suggestions in general for RC will be very very welcome. Really freaking out here.

thank you so much.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:33 pm

DLA wrote:Ugh just practiced RC from 68 and 42, got -7 and -5 respectively. Any suggestions for last minute build up? this is getting crazy. I don't understand how I could have lost all those points. Argh. And now, a day before the test, I have time management issues.

Any advice for taking care of time and ANY suggestions in general for RC will be very very welcome. Really freaking out here.

thank you so much.
I'm not great at RC, but I seem to do better when I focus on the basics. Passage structure the scale of the argument.

chickpea

Bronze

Post by chickpea » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Yeah, I feel like active reading is the key. You don't want to just skim the passage, look at the questions and then have to go back to the passage to answer each one. As you read, pay attention to the author's stance on the topic, the structure of the passage, shifts in focus, etc.

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Hmmm, not sure what to do here. I just took PT 68 and did pretty terrible. I honestly felt good during all of the sections (had 9 minutes left on the 2nd LR). Seriously contemplating waiting until June... Honestly though, the one that keeping me from doing that now is the fact that I am already a retaker and will have absolutely no new material to go through. I'm not freaking out at all, just want to make an informed choice. Any input?

LR1: -4
LR2: -4
LG: -0

dusters

Bronze

Post by dusters » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:20 pm

princeR wrote:Hmmm, not sure what to do here. I just took PT 68 and did pretty terrible. I honestly felt good during all of the sections (had 9 minutes left on the 2nd LR). Seriously contemplating waiting until June... Honestly though, the one that keeping me from doing that now is the fact that I am already a retaker and will have absolutely no new material to go through. I'm not freaking out at all, just want to make an informed choice. Any input?

What is your goal and the average of your past couple of PT? I think I would still take it, your score was still good and you can always retake again if need be.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:23 pm

princeR wrote:Hmmm, not sure what to do here. I just took PT 68 and did pretty terrible. I honestly felt good during all of the sections (had 9 minutes left on the 2nd LR). Seriously contemplating waiting until June... Honestly though, the one that keeping me from doing that now is the fact that I am already a retaker and will have absolutely no new material to go through. I'm not freaking out at all, just want to make an informed choice. Any input?

Don't make a decision based on this PT alone. If your average is not a point or two above your target score, consider waiting until June. The number of retakes you will have left after this is also something to consider.

Also, retaking PTs will not hurt you. (I'm also a retaker.)
Last edited by objection_your_honor on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm

dusters wrote:

What is your goal and the average of your past couple of PT? I think I would still take it, your score was still good and you can always retake again if need be.
This is going to be my THIRD attempt. I've been averaging anywhere from 171-177 depending on how new/familiar the test is. On the post 62 PT's I'm hovering around 171-174.

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:30 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:

Don't make a decision based on this PT alone. If your average is not a point or two above your target score, consider waiting until June. The number of retakes you will have left after this is also something to consider.

Also, retaking PTs will not hurt you. (I'm also a retaker.)
Right, and I get that retaking PTs doesn't hurt (I've seen the thread), but I really don't like having anything new/unseen to judge my progress.

tpfennin

New

Post by tpfennin » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:48 pm

I was hoping to get one PT in before saturday, but I only have one left and its #28. Has the test shifted dramatically enough that I should just hold off and continue to study w/o the PT??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”