February 2013 LSAT Study Group Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
geary86

Bronze

Re: February 2013 LSAT Study Group

Post by geary86 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:19 am

lebasy wrote:Omgosh! Our Feb Study group is poppiiiing now that Dec test is over.

I took my mock Dec LSAT and did abysmal on games. I legit missed one whole game which had a shit ton of questions.

PT 32
LR: -2
RC: -6
LG: - 13 :shock: :shock: :shock:
LR: -1

Exp LG: -1

THATS THE THING THOUGH on my Experimental LG - I scored almost perfect. I went over the LG from the test for review and got them -2 when correcting and the game I missed, I got them all right. I guess its back to workbook fun for logic games.

Damn the holiday season though, all my friends want to hang out but after a night of drinking and merriment - I have 0 motivation to study and I am tired AF! Maybe that's why folks do poorly in Feb? But, I'm sure we'll be the ones setting the curve 8)
YESSSSSSS

tygastyle

New

Post by tygastyle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:57 am

I'll be joining you all for February as well. This will be my first time to write in. A few questions:

1.) Have y'all registered for the exam yet? I haven't and want to make sure that I'm not completely missing the boat here.

2.) I am almost done with the PowerScore LGB. I have their book for the Logical Reasoning section as well, which I haven't started. As of now, my plan is to finish the LG Bible in the next couple of days, and then drill LG's everyday while simultaneously going through the LR Bible. So, my question is, what book should I get for drills? Is there some type of compendium that just has lots and lots of actual LGs that I can get on Amazon?

3.) For people that have written before, is my approach for studying misguided? I don't really plan to take too many PTs until around Christmas time. I am a student/not working over Christmas break, so I will plan on building my testing endurance all over Christmas break and all of January. Before then, I will just drill LGs and LR. I have only taken one full PT--a cold diagnostic--and scored a 164. That said, I was no where near the level of endurance needed to properly take the test, so I took a break after each section.

Thanks in advance

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:39 am

Anyone here planning to apply super late anywhere with the Feb score?

loomstate

Bronze

Post by loomstate » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 am

megagnarley wrote:Anyone here planning to apply super late anywhere with the Feb score?
yessir

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:06 pm

loomstate wrote:
megagnarley wrote:Anyone here planning to apply super late anywhere with the Feb score?
yessir
What are your thoughts on that/what have you heard?

I've hear everything from it's too late to possibly consider to it's a down cycle so it matters less.

Can't seem to sort fact form fiction.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scottyc66

Silver

Post by scottyc66 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:44 pm

megagnarley wrote:
loomstate wrote:
yessir
What are your thoughts on that/what have you heard?

I've hear everything from it's too late to possibly consider to it's a down cycle so it matters less.

Can't seem to sort fact form fiction.
None of it is necessarily fact or fiction, it's all conjecture. There are significantly less test-takers this year, but we don't know how the schools are going to react. If they try to maintain enrollment then they'll have to sacrifice quality. Couple the lower numbers with the fact that there's more incentive to re-take (schools don't average anymore) and there may be a huge drop in applications.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Killin it in the Manhattan LR book. Went from having my biggest LR missteps in assumptions, flaws and roles to having them near perfect. Scores have been up in the high 170s now! (hitting the RC book next week).

We got this guys and girls!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:27 pm

TheThriller wrote:Killin it in the Manhattan LR book. Went from having my biggest LR missteps in assumptions, flaws and roles to having them near perfect. Scores have been up in the high 170s now! (hitting the RC book next week).

Woohoo, that's awesome! Excited to read this as well- just started reading Manhattan LR guide and I currently suck at assumptions and roles. Read the LRB, hope this book helps gets me where I need to be! Did you read the LRB, or was this your only LR guide?
Last edited by TheMostDangerousLG on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:35 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
TheThriller wrote:Killin it in the Manhattan LR book. Went from having my biggest LR missteps in assumptions, flaws and roles to having them near perfect. Scores have been up in the high 170s now! (hitting the RC book next week).

Woohoo, that's awesom! Excited to read this as well- just started reading Manhattan LR guide and I currently suck at assumptions and roles. Read the LRB, hope this book helps gets me where I need to be! Did you read the LRB, or was this your only LR guide?
Did Powerscore for the June test and have been studying ever off and on ever since (started in late Feb for the June test). I can say without a doubt that the explanations in the Manhattan guide click with me A LOT better then Powerscore. Maybe this is because I have literally studied this stuff so much but it has made me more confident! I have also done Velocity LR

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

natashka85

Bronze

Post by natashka85 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:31 am

Yes ,i am applying to Ucla w Feb score,lol.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:46 am

Checking in : ) I am still debating between a February or October retake. But I am leaning towards February.

Anyone else in the west LA area?

akb07003

New

Post by akb07003 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:59 am

Hello everyone!

I will also be taking the Feb LSAT, I haven't gotten my Dec score yet (obv), but I'm expecting nothing higher than a 158 and my goal is to break 170. Is there anyone here from the Philly area?

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi all,

This worked in the past for some users so I am going to try it again. A TLS user and I are doing PT 41 this week, and will be reviewing the problem areas over email later this week and early next. If anyone wants to join the email thread, PM me. We will likely resort to a Google Hangout or chat feature at some point soon where we can discuss individual PT's and what people have problems with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rubetta

New

Post by Rubetta » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:01 pm

Now that I am finished with the Dec LSAT and took a mental break, time to get ready for Feb LSAT. I have no clue what I got in Dec, it seemed way too easy. Which means I probably bombed the whole thing. So Feb here I come. Hitting the PT hard again next week.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:05 pm

Anyone by any chance studying in the southern tier of New York? Wish I could find an offline study buddy.. know there's got to be other people at my school studying! Just don't know how to find them. XP Anyone studying with a partner (or partners) in person?

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:48 pm

nevermind :)
Last edited by BlueJeanBaby on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delizabeth

New

Post by delizabeth » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I've just decided to retake the LSAT in February and am hoping that participating in the TLS forums will provide an additional source of motivation.

I took the LSAT originally in June 2010 without studying at all (silly, I know) and scored a 160. I had taken one of the free Kaplan diagnostic tests several months before (with a 158) and that had been the first time I ever looked at the test. I've been working in banking since graduating in 2011, but I've decided it's really not what I want to be doing long-term. I have already starting applying to schools for this cycle.

After speaking with several 1L's, I've been encouraged to retake the LSAT in February and hopefully boost my chances of admittance/leverage to get scholarships. I have a 3.8 GPA. For all of you more seasoned (and really well prepared!) LSAT takers out there, what do you think I can realistically boost my score to in the next couple of months? Any recommendations for what books/study methods I should use? I'm looking to really commit myself to this! Thanks so much for any guidance!! Good luck to everyone!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:26 pm

akb07003 wrote:Hello everyone!

I will also be taking the Feb LSAT, I haven't gotten my Dec score yet (obv), but I'm expecting nothing higher than a 158 and my goal is to break 170. Is there anyone here from the Philly area?
Not from the Philly area, but I spend a lot of time there!

akb07003

New

Post by akb07003 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:12 pm

griffin.811 wrote:
akb07003 wrote:Hello everyone!

Not from the Philly area, but I spend a lot of time there!
Oh! Let's see if we can find more people that would be willing to meet up a couple times and go over any practice tests. Anyone else willing to join this semi-philly group? I know someone mentioned earlier that they're from the southern part of ny.

akb07003

New

Post by akb07003 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:13 pm

Rubetta wrote:Now that I am finished with the Dec LSAT and took a mental break, time to get ready for Feb LSAT. I have no clue what I got in Dec, it seemed way too easy. Which means I probably bombed the whole thing. So Feb here I come. Hitting the PT hard again next week.
That's exactly how I feel!

akb07003

New

Post by akb07003 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:22 pm

So to the people that took the December test and are retaking in Feb. How are you guys planning on studying? I had taken a break this whole week so I could get my applications as ready as possible before diving back into studying, and I go back to work on Monday (I had taken some time off for the December test) so I'm really trying to figure out a way to secure a great score with a hectic work schedule. This is what I have for the rest of the week so far:

Thursday: Practice test in the AM, review, LG and RC drills
Friday: Practice test in the AM, review, LG and LR drills
Saturday: Practice test in the AM, review, LG, LR, and RC drills
Sunday: review of weaknesses from earlier in the week, and do drills focused on those. 2 LG sections.

After that, once work starts, I'm planning on working on sections only, rather than full practice tests. I will probably alternate between LG, RC and LG, LR sections in the mornings, and review them after work. I will probably only be able to take 2 tests a week (Saturday and Sunday).

Does anyone have any input on this strategy? I had done powerscore only, but I'm going to branch out more to Manhattan LSAT.

Also, for those people that don't know, when you work on a practice test, you can get full explanations on it from Manhattan LSAT. all you have to do is google (for example) "December 1996 LSAT LG explanations" and it's the first result that comes up. It's really just students discussing with the instructors chiming in, which makes it a lot easier to understand actually.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lsatkid007

Bronze

Post by lsatkid007 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:30 pm

I have been working on RC & LG. I haven't looked at a LR question for 3 weeks or so. I know RC is my worst sections. Some passage I get and some just blow me away.

shehadehr

New

Post by shehadehr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I'm in. Took the december and felt like I underperformed so I cancelled my score. Have to apply this cycle so I'm studying fulltime from now until Feb 9th.

We're good ladies and gents, we'll keep focused, working, and we'll see these scores rise. I took away alot from my december experience so hoping to go into the feb test not only better prepared testing wise, but perhaps more importantly, more knowledgeable about what game day is actually like (nerves etc).

I took this week off so far because Im getting my applications in order (and really trying to understand wtf happened to me last Sat). So, gonna hit it up again probably starting Sat, Sun or Mon.

I want to review what people have been saying/asking in the last day or two in this thread, so after the gym tonight I'll read over the past day or two. Also, if anyone is interested, perhaps I can post my thoughts on taking the test, as well as other re-takers on here, it would be interesting to share thoughts!

Quickly, in terms of my prep:

1) I'm going to print out the LR bundles from Cambridge, bang them out following each chapter in the MLSAT LR guide, a little each day, question type each day, etc.

2) I cut out the RC and LG sections from 29 -38 and plan on hitting those up one or two each day, along side my LR drilling

3) Week of exam im only scheduling a PT tues and thurs. Other than that Im PTing three times a week (using 51 - 68), and perhaps some before too (like 39 - 50).

I really like what Noodley wrote in his guide and plan on referring to it sometimes, also that 160+ thread is like a goldmine, great advice on there too.

Four questions for everyone:

1) How do you all feel about making 5 copies of certain games, or even 5 copies of entire LG sections?

2) Thoughts on hitting RC at least once a day. Actually, on days we're drilling LR and on none-PT days too, thoughts on making sure one hits all three sections at least once?

3) Thoughts on doing a timed section (or two?) the night before a PT the following day?

4) Thoughts on PTing outside of our rooms? I was to do most of my PTs at the local university library perhaps

PS, I feel like I'll probably review MLSAT chapters 1 - 6 and the conditional logic chapter too, sometimes before bed.

Burnout sucks so I'll have to watch for that.

Feb test: ?? Hmm, disclosed or undisclosed... taking it at Whittier, UCLA, or in freakin Yemen... it makes no difference to me... I plan on walking in there and destroying that test along with everyone else here :twisted:
Last edited by shehadehr on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shehadehr

New

Post by shehadehr » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 pm

instantly I realize I'll prob never post such a long message again..

akb07003

New

Post by akb07003 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 am

[quote="shehadehr"]
Four questions for everyone:

1) How do you all feel about making 5 copies of certain games, or even 5 copies of entire LG sections? I actually tried this during my prep for December and didn't find this helpful. Because I went over my answers in detail afterwards, I always remembered what the answers were, so I was never actually able to grow that much from it. What I could suggest though is working on different KINDS of games instead. For example, for an entire day, I focused on just sequencing games. I started with easier games and obviously moved to the harder ones after that. I noticed that by zoning in on different kinds of games, I was able to better utilize my chosen strategies and actually improve.

2) Thoughts on hitting RC at least once a day. Actually, on days we're drilling LR and on none-PT days too, thoughts on making sure one hits all three sections at least once? This is something I'd actually be willing to try. Especially RC since it's my most unpredictable section.

3) Thoughts on doing a timed section (or two?) the night before a PT the following day? I think this is based on personal preference. LG are really fun for me, so I would usually do a couple games before going to bed the night before a PT, but never a full section. I always found that if I did a full section, it would just get my mind going and I wouldn't be able to fall asleep.

4) Thoughts on PTing outside of our rooms? I was to do most of my PTs at the local university library perhaps. 100% ENCOURAGE THIS. I don't know about anyone else's experiences but during my real exam, I had at least 3 ambulances go by, a helicopter, and heater make ticking sounds the whole time. Luckily I had prepared for it by basically blaring the TV while I did certain drills. I feel like being at a university library, although it's quiet, it's usually not THAT quiet, which could condition you to get used to distractions in the room of the exam.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”