The NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
NoodleyOne

Gold

Re: The NoodleyOne's Foolproof Guide to a 179 for Retakers

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:35 pm

Lear22 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I prefer the bundles for drilling, as I think drilling is a crucial element to LR especially. That being said, everyone is different. Also, the LGB was interchangeable with the MLG, and MLG may have taken a jump over the LGB with the third edition.

what would be your biggest recommendation for LG drilling? I used the LGB and its workbook so I am not sure if re-working them would be a good idea? I am currently -6 avg on games and it's the hardest section for me to improve in, which really frustrates me as everyone keeps telling me how it's the section where it's easiest to move to -2 and under.
It requires repetition but also smart studying. Focus on accuracy first, and the speed will come. With LG there is one CLEARLY right answer, and 4 CLEARLY wrong ones. If you're missing them untimed, you're definitely making a systemic mistake. Timed, it takes awhile but you'll start getting faster as you get more confident.

Seriously, there is no reason to choose an incorrect answer untimed. If you are, look at why and redo the game and stop making that mistake. If you can't figure out the answer, go back to the rules and start linking them together and find the inferences. If you're still that poor in LG, going through the Bible or MLG again isn't a bad idea.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:41 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I prefer the bundles for drilling, as I think drilling is a crucial element to LR especially. That being said, everyone is different. Also, the LGB was interchangeable with the MLG, and MLG may have taken a jump over the LGB with the third edition.

what would be your biggest recommendation for LG drilling? I used the LGB and its workbook so I am not sure if re-working them would be a good idea? I am currently -6 avg on games and it's the hardest section for me to improve in, which really frustrates me as everyone keeps telling me how it's the section where it's easiest to move to -2 and under.
It requires repetition but also smart studying. Focus on accuracy first, and the speed will come. With LG there is one CLEARLY right answer, and 4 CLEARLY wrong ones. If you're missing them untimed, you're definitely making a systemic mistake. Timed, it takes awhile but you'll start getting faster as you get more confident.

Seriously, there is no reason to choose an incorrect answer untimed. If you are, look at why and redo the game and stop making that mistake. If you can't figure out the answer, go back to the rules and start linking them together and find the inferences. If you're still that poor in LG, going through the Bible or MLG again isn't a bad idea.
thanks! I am retaking dec, and I am contemplating if to give two weeks to pure drilling and two weeks for PTs or just PTs, what do you think? it'll be my 4th LSAT ( :roll: )
I took your advice and sat through a 'cold' LSAT (PT A) and already scored above my Oct score.
What do you think is best approach for the next 4 weeks? (exactly from today. taking a Sabbath Observors' exam)
thanks for all that you do here! it's incredible.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Eh... I hesitate to suggest a strategy for the time crunch you guys are under. It really depends on what your weaknesses are and how far from your goals. Also, if you're not close to your goal, taking time off to take again in February or June is the wisest move. The test is too important to take unprepared.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Eh... I hesitate to suggest a strategy for the time crunch you guys are under. It really depends on what your weaknesses are and how far from your goals. Also, if you're not close to your goal, taking time off to take again in February or June is the wisest move. The test is too important to take unprepared.
I agree but it's not an option for me for many reasons. I need to take in Dec, apply and start school. I decided that at some points I need to put this exam behind me and get on to why I initially took it.. going to law school. I understand that it's not TLS methodology but different people have different circumstances. For me, I need to apply this cycle (for once, this one is already my "lets wait a cycle out to improve my score" cycle).

I also have different things going on. English is my second language and as much as I try to overcome it, it's still a major hurdle with the exam (try thinking of doing the LSAT in french or spanish, even if your at a 'native speaker' level). I have yet to find good advice for people who are taking the exam as ESL (other than the usual tips). Lucky for me, I have the luxury to do nothing but prep for the next 4 weeks. Does that change anything in your perspective?

thanks! and sorry for the longish post. :shock:

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Lear22 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Eh... I hesitate to suggest a strategy for the time crunch you guys are under. It really depends on what your weaknesses are and how far from your goals. Also, if you're not close to your goal, taking time off to take again in February or June is the wisest move. The test is too important to take unprepared.

I agree but it's not an option for me for many reasons. I need to take in Dec, apply and start school. I decided that at some points I need to put this exam behind me and get on to why I initially took it.. going to law school. I understand that it's not TLS methodology but different people have different circumstances. For me, I need to apply this cycle (for once, this one is already my "lets wait a cycle out to improve my score" cycle).

I also have different things going on. English is my second language and as much as I try to overcome it, it's still a major hurdle with the exam (try thinking of doing the LSAT in french or spanish, even if your'e at a 'native speaker' level). I have yet to find good advice for people who are taking the exam as ESL (other than the usual tips). Lucky for me, I have the luxury to do nothing but prep for the next 4 weeks. Does that change anything in your perspective?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meandme

New

Post by meandme » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Lear22 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

I also have different things going on. English is my second language and as much as I try to overcome it, it's still a major hurdle with the exam (try thinking of doing the LSAT in french or spanish, even if your'e at a 'native speaker' level). I have yet to find good advice for people who are taking the exam as ESL (other than the usual tips). Lucky for me, I have the luxury to do nothing but prep for the next 4 weeks. Does that change anything in your perspective?

Yo I am in the same boat. English is not my first language and I hate RC with a passion.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:18 pm

meandme wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
Lear22 wrote:

Yo I am in the same boat. English is not my first language and I hate RC with a passion.
I actually don't mind them. I did so much reading as a history/intl sutdies double major that I am good at picking up main points, intention, biasis and such so for me it's not the worst section and towards Oct I manged to really improve in it. My hardest section is LG by far, which again doesn't make "sense" as it's the most learnable part of the exam. LR for me can be a hit or miss, but I def feel the language barrier there.

I thought about writing an adendum about this, but I also feel it's a catch22 as you're complaining about language skils when your'e applying to law school and want to practice law in an english speaking country...

Opuntia

New

Post by Opuntia » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Hey Noodley, first of all, thank you very much for taking your time to help us. My question is that the RC is my most painful weaknesses. I noticed that you had not recommended the "Reading Comprehension by Type (PrepTests 1–38). " for drill. I have finished all PT from 1 to 66 and took the OCT writing scored 168 (-9 RC). So what should I do for improving my RC within one month? Thanks again!

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Yo Noodley. Thanks again for this great guide. I drilled the LR packets back in the summer for October and still got -12 on LR (improvement though over -23). How do you approach questions that you realize that you've gotten wrong? Do you just sit down, analyze why you got wrong, make a note of it, and move on? What are some tips behind the structure of LR questions by type?

Thanks once again. You the man now, dog.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lutcf2021

New

Post by lutcf2021 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:54 am

BUMP

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:54 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:How valuable are the early PT's (pre-40) for Logic Games. I know they are different now, but im reviewing by going over every LG section of every PT and these first couple of ones I have done are a bit confusing and not like the current LSAT, so my question is this, Would you recommend I do PT's 40-65 3x or 1-65 1x... obviously im going over the LG sections after i finish them and again 3 days later, but then im moving onto the next section. the 1x means how many times im doing it now, and the 3x means 3 times the amount im doing each one now.

Also, would you say that the LR sections of the tests have been the same relatively over the past 65 PT's. So if i was doing PT20-65 for LR that would be ok compared to 40-65 x 2?

Thanks
Pre-40s has some really odd game types that don't show up anymore, such as mapping and circular ordering games, but they're definitely still viable. Heck, those games are good practice just to get you ready to think outside of the box when a tricky one comes up. Definitely worth it... as to whether you do more total or the same ones over... I'm of the mind that you want the maximum exposure possible, but I know there are arguments for repetition as well.

LR has changed a bit. There are no more one stim - two question parts anymore. Also, some of the wording in older ones is just awkward. Still, a Necessary Assumption is still a Necessary Assumption, Weaken is still weaken, etc. I know the rate of certain question types has changed in the past ten years or so, but it's not like they added anything new. Still viable.
This is late, but in June, my friend had one or two 1 stem 2 q part questions on his LR experimental, which I guess could mean they're coming back.

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:25 pm

You recommend using both Manhattan and PS LG books. Could you speak how their approaches differ?

All I have looked at from Manhattan's guide is the in/out diagramming. I first learned games in my Testmasters class and picked up the LG Bible to use after that ended since the systems are similar. That said, I still struggle (relatively speaking) with games and I am considering picking up a copy of MLSAT's book to see if it can help.

jayz99

New

Post by jayz99 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for this, it is great!

Could you go into some more detail on your LR strategy. I feel like LR, making up 50% of the exam, is really the make or break. I messed up last time and I think going -0/-1 on LR is the key to a 175+ score. What worked best for you? Any insights would be much appreciated!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CalAlumni

Bronze

Post by CalAlumni » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:10 pm

My LSAT game has gotten tighter than ever thanks to NoodleyOne's guide. Thanks again.

JDndMSW

Silver

Post by JDndMSW » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Has anyone noticed a bunch of typos in the 3rd ed MLG? I am only on page 50 or something and I have already marked 3...

lilhugsy24

New

Post by lilhugsy24 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:02 pm

Was just curious on what you think is the best method for drilling LR. Should I do timed drilling or untimed and go through each question and say why each answer is wrong or right?

ApokalypseX

New

Post by ApokalypseX » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:29 am

Do you guys recommend spending each week focusing on a different section, or is it better to work on multiple sections in the week?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:00 pm

ApokalypseX wrote:Do you guys recommend spending each week focusing on a different section, or is it better to work on multiple sections in the week?
I focused on each section the proceded onto the next one, but i didnt take a week per section. I just did each chapter until i was sufficient in that game type. I am assuming your talking about the games section.

lsatkid007

Bronze

Post by lsatkid007 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Hey Noodley
How should I redo games? How often and how many times should I do a game?

Thanks

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Tagging! Thank you <3

soyeonjeon

New

Post by soyeonjeon » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:18 am

This is great. Thanks.
But for a first time test taker, (I've been prepping for three weeks or so),
is it generally better to take it everyday or to take three preps a week or something on that line?

what is better?

Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:03 am

sabanist wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:How valuable are the early PT's (pre-40) for Logic Games. I know they are different now, but im reviewing by going over every LG section of every PT and these first couple of ones I have done are a bit confusing and not like the current LSAT, so my question is this, Would you recommend I do PT's 40-65 3x or 1-65 1x... obviously im going over the LG sections after i finish them and again 3 days later, but then im moving onto the next section. the 1x means how many times im doing it now, and the 3x means 3 times the amount im doing each one now.

Also, would you say that the LR sections of the tests have been the same relatively over the past 65 PT's. So if i was doing PT20-65 for LR that would be ok compared to 40-65 x 2?

Thanks
Pre-40s has some really odd game types that don't show up anymore, such as mapping and circular ordering games, but they're definitely still viable. Heck, those games are good practice just to get you ready to think outside of the box when a tricky one comes up. Definitely worth it... as to whether you do more total or the same ones over... I'm of the mind that you want the maximum exposure possible, but I know there are arguments for repetition as well.

LR has changed a bit. There are no more one stim - two question parts anymore. Also, some of the wording in older ones is just awkward. Still, a Necessary Assumption is still a Necessary Assumption, Weaken is still weaken, etc. I know the rate of certain question types has changed in the past ten years or so, but it's not like they added anything new. Still viable.
This is late, but in June, my friend had one or two 1 stem 2 q part questions on his LR experimental, which I guess could mean they're coming back.
No he didn't.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:41 pm

Actually I do remember hearing that in June from some people with LR experimentals.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm

JDndMSW wrote:Has anyone noticed a bunch of typos in the 3rd ed MLG? I am only on page 50 or something and I have already marked 3...
They're pretty bad with typos -- they were everywhere in the 2nd edition as well.

Zeta

New

Post by Zeta » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:25 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”