How to best prepare for LG's after October test? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
rglifberg

Bronze

Re: How to best prepare for LG's after October test?

Post by rglifberg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:00 pm

srkhalilian wrote:Agree with those saying the rules are what made this game challenging. I had about 6 minutes left going in to that game, and just could not understand how to interpret them. I imagine having some time to think about the game in a low-pressure environment will reveal that it is not as complex as some previous games. That being said, I would much rather have had a game similar to dinos or stained glass than zones, because at least I could have immediatley got to work (even if I wouldn't have finished), instead of just staring dumbfounded and pretty much guessing on all of them.
+1
fucking zones........

msmith19

New

Post by msmith19 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 pm

I won't speak with confidence yet, but honestly you didn't even need to understand the game to get most of the questions. The setup for me included the basic rules and the one zone restriction. I had no comprehension of the overall game or any inferences. I just got right into the Qs because I knew I only had about 7 min and that there are always some gimmes. Turns out a lot of the questions were pretty basic hypo questions or just asking you for simple first-level inferences. With time and less pressure I doubt this game is that hard. But at the same time, I don't think the questions were designed so that if you didn't have a good understanding you were hooped.

nick_scheu

New

Post by nick_scheu » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 pm

msmith19 wrote:I won't speak with confidence yet, but honestly you didn't even need to understand the game to get most of the questions. The setup for me included the basic rules and the one zone restriction. I had no comprehension of the overall game or any inferences. I just got right into the Qs because I knew I only had about 7 min and that there are always some gimmes. Turns out a lot of the questions were pretty basic hypo questions or just asking you for simple first-level inferences. With time and less pressure I doubt this game is that hard. But at the same time, I don't think the questions were designed so that if you didn't have a good understanding you were hooped.
My experience exactly, except I had 5 minutes when I started. Maybe I missed them, but I didn't see many inferences that would lead to a powerful diagram.

Honey_Badger

Bronze

Post by Honey_Badger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:24 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:It was a standard, undefined unbalanced grouping game. And honestly, the rules were very restrictive. I get the feeling this is being blown up way too much. This certainly wasn't Stained Glass level of difficulty, or Dinos for that matter.
See, I found dinos to be easy and stained glass to be tough...I think I was just psyching myself out. :cry:

jone7007

New

Post by jone7007 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:46 am

nick_scheu wrote:
msmith19 wrote:I won't speak with confidence yet, but honestly you didn't even need to understand the game to get most of the questions. The setup for me included the basic rules and the one zone restriction. I had no comprehension of the overall game or any inferences. I just got right into the Qs because I knew I only had about 7 min and that there are always some gimmes. Turns out a lot of the questions were pretty basic hypo questions or just asking you for simple first-level inferences. With time and less pressure I doubt this game is that hard. But at the same time, I don't think the questions were designed so that if you didn't have a good understanding you were hooped.
My experience exactly, except I had 5 minutes when I started. Maybe I missed them, but I didn't see many inferences that would lead to a powerful diagram.
I agree. I had only 6 minutes left. After wasting time and trying to figure out how to diagram it, I jumped in to the questions. After the first 2 it clicked that it was a grouping game. The questions were actually straight forward and easy if you didn't try to diagram and just referenced the rules. Trying to figure out how to do the diagram zones cost me -2 due to time unless 22 and 23 were D.

I wonder if people who didn't do a study found this problem as challenging as those who "learned" how to do LG?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nick_scheu

New

Post by nick_scheu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 am

Yeah. I think people were confused by the zone/subzone terminology. If it had been shelves/books, I don't think it would have been such a problem. I just ran out of time, though I probably would have done slightly better if it had been easier terminology.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 am

I didn't make it to Zones, but I recognized that the games weren't really new. It took some time for me to figure that out, though, which is not good on a timed standardized test. I would say don't overlook prepping for less frequent game types.
Last edited by RCinDNA on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:35 am

I think LSAC is trying to incorporate games that are combinations of two game types to try to make it more like two games in one, but who knows. You will have the opportunity to see the answer choices and your response and be able to re do this game when you get your test results back- so if you are looking to retake in December, that may help.( not sure if you can do this if you dont keep your score though) But for right now- just forget about the test, especially if you are retaking. Start back up this weekend, you need the break to recharge your mental batteries.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”