october takers in ASIA - thoughts? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
soulpower

New

Re: october takers in ASIA - thoughts?

Post by soulpower » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 am

was there a section that did not have any parallel reasoning question? (my memory is fading now so I am not too sure if this is the case) and is this what you mean by poor distribution of questions?

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 am

soulpower wrote:was there a section that did not have any parallel reasoning question? (my memory is fading now so I am not too sure if this is the case) and is this what you mean by poor distribution of questions?
I meant that it just seemed to be a large collection of questions of only 3-4 types. I vaguely remember a section full of nec/suff assumption questions and I believe it didn't have a parallel question, or maybe only one. I think over the whole three sections there were only like 4 parallel ones.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:12 am

Hey all,

I am still trying to figure out this curve thing.

I took the the test in Europe, but either way, we all took a different test than that which was given in the states on Saturday.

Assuming that we all took a previously undisclosed test, doesn't it make sense that our score will be determined by the initial scale developed once they first gave our particular tests? So, say that the test that was given in the states on Saturday had a scale of -12 for a 170. And say that the tests we took, for sake of argument say it was the Feb 2007 test, had a scale of -9 for a 170. Don't you think that our raw score will correspond to a scaled score based on the initial scale of Feb 2007 and not the scale from Oct 2012?

If not then we would receive a higher scaled score, compared to our raw score, than those who took the test in the states.

I hope this makes sense. What do you think?

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 am

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 am

sokomofo wrote:
CR2012 wrote:Hey all,

I took the the test in Europe, but either way, we all took a different test than that which was given in the states on Saturday.

Assuming that we all took a previously undisclosed test, doesn't it make sense that our score will be determined by the initial scale developed once they first gave our particular tests? So, say that the test that was given in the states on Saturday had a scale of -12 for a 170. And say that the tests we took, for sake of argument say it was the Feb 2007 test, had a scale of -9 for a 170. Don't you think that our raw score will correspond to a scaled score based on the initial scale of Feb 2007 and not the scale from Oct 2012?

If not then we would receive a higher scaled score, compared to our raw score, than those who took the test in the states.

well of course. each curve is unique to each test. our scores will have nothing to do with the curve for the US takers. having said that, i'm not really sure how they'll make our curve. i think they will add our scores to the scores from the original administration, and come up with an "updated" curve for us. i don't think they will come up with an entirely new curve that consists of our scores only, since the LSAT takers in asia MIGHT have performed better/worse than the average takers in the US. but we'll never know for sure :(
Right. I feel like they will probably use our raw score against the initial scale they derived at the time of the first administration of the test. That seems like the easiest way to do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:02 am

CR2012 wrote:
sokomofo wrote:

well of course. each curve is unique to each test. our scores will have nothing to do with the curve for the US takers. having said that, i'm not really sure how they'll make our curve. i think they will add our scores to the scores from the original administration, and come up with an "updated" curve for us. i don't think they will come up with an entirely new curve that consists of our scores only, since the LSAT takers in asia MIGHT have performed better/worse than the average takers in the US. but we'll never know for sure :(
Right. I feel like they will probably use our raw score against the initial scale they derived at the time of the first administration of the test. That seems like the easiest way to do it.
Whatever they decide on, hopefully it's one of the generous ones

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:12 am

Yeah, I am a bit worried because I don't think my test was necessarily difficult and I think I might have choked some, but I honestly don't know either way.

I find it amazing that it is less than a week since the test was given and I remember so very little about it.

This is going to be a long wait.

gianna

New

Post by gianna » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:45 am

Are our scores released on the same day as the US ones?

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:58 am

CR2012 wrote:Yeah, I am a bit worried because I don't think my test was necessarily difficult and I think I might have choked some, but I honestly don't know either way.

I find it amazing that it is less than a week since the test was given and I remember so very little about it.

This is going to be a long wait.
Yeah. I didn't think it was super difficult, but there were two games that were pretty tricky, and a RC passage that I thought was rather difficult. =/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:59 am

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:27 am

sokomofo wrote:

I don't agree and according to what LSAC said yesterday this also goes against what they claim to be happening. They said specifically that ALL oct test takers, no matter what test form they take, will recieve the same conversion from raw to real score (as the LSAT doesn't really have a curve). They said they do that in order to maintain the equally of the test date as a whole. Anything other than that makes no sense.

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:17 am

Lear22 wrote:
sokomofo wrote:

I don't agree and according to what LSAC said yesterday this also goes against what they claim to be happening. They said specifically that ALL oct test takers, no matter what test form they take, will recieve the same conversion from raw to real score (as the LSAT doesn't really have a curve). They said they do that in order to maintain the equally of the test date as a whole. Anything other than that makes no sense.

But certainly it wouldn't make sense for various test forms to be significantly different from each other but be subject to the same score scale (120-180). If this were the case then two identical raw scores, obtained from two or more different tests, would not be representative of the individual test takers ability. If it were then there would never be any deviation on any test from what it took to get a 170, 165 etc.

Maybe I am missing something huge here?

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:05 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

defdef

Bronze

Post by defdef » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:12 am

my conception is that the curves are created before hand and largely independent of the test, so they only need select variations of the test that abide by the same curve and the problem is solved (outside of some minor modifications they may make after the test is administered).

edit: not independent of the test. that's poor phrasing. i mean that how people score on the test itself doesn't determine the curve, but rather the curve is determined using methods previous to their scoring the test at all
Last edited by defdef on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:13 am

I'm only going by what LSAC told me yesterday when I called and asked specifically if the different test form given on the same administrated date will be converted/weighted/scaled/curved or whatever you want to call it differently. They said full out no. All oct test takers, no matter where in the world they took the exam and no matter if they took a sabbath observers' LSAT will get the same conversion from raw to real score.

I am not refuting your logic, and maybe the person who answered (though I talked to two people about it) gave wrong info. I suggest one other person will call and ask this

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:15 am

defdef wrote:my conception is that the curves are created before hand and largely independent of the test, so they only need select variations of the test that abide by the same curve and the problem is solved (outside of some minor modifications they may make after the test is administered).
This. It's exactly my reasoning. The difficulty of the test is compared to other test form is known to the test writers beforehand and according to it is how the pretend 'curve' is created. All they needed to do is pick one that has is the same as the domestic oct LSAT given sat.

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Fast Q:

My test today was LR LG RC LG LR

Is it 100% that the first LG which I aced is the X one? Offcourse I bombed the second :(

gianna

New

Post by gianna » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Lear22 wrote:Fast Q:

Is it 100% that the first LG which I aced is the X one? Offcourse I bombed the second :(
No, but highly likely. LSAC (of course) has not confirmed that the dummy's before the break, but that seems to be the unofficial consensus. If you managed to answer all the questions, don't worry too much and go celebrate for a well-deserved break. Was your test the same as ours?

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:16 pm

gianna wrote:

No, but highly likely. LSAC (of course) has not confirmed that the dummy's before the break, but that seems to be the unofficial consensus. If you managed to answer all the questions, don't worry too much and go celebrate for a well-deserved break. Was your test the same as ours?

I dont think it was.
Yes, I know it's highly likely, I dont even know if I should even have a shred of hope that this is not the case. made me leave the the test center feeling awful and immediately register for the Dec exam :(

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:45 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:04 pm

sokomofo wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
gianna wrote:

I dont think it was.
Yes, I know it's highly likely, I dont even know if I should even have a shred of hope that this is not the case. made me leave the the test center feeling awful and immediately register for the Dec exam :(
if your second LG had the actor/actress game and the faculty/student game, then yes, that one is the real one. a lot of people bombed it... including me :(

it did not. We didn't take the same form. That's why I am wondering which LG section was the real one...

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:13 pm

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:16 pm

sokomofo wrote:
Lear22 wrote: it did not. We didn't take the same form. That's why I am wondering which LG section was the real one...
well it traditionally has been the case that one of the first three is experimental. but try not to stress over it unless you're debating whether to cancel. it seems that not a lot of people took the sabbath exam, and you probably won't be able to figure it out on TLS. i'm guessing you didn't have the zones game either?

i would suggest that you just forget about it and grab a cold beer haha

no zones.. yes, but in Oct11 they changed their position about the X being in the first 3 sections, so I am thinking maybe it will happen here too? driving me insane..

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:41 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”