Stated Assumption? PT 36 Sec. 1 Q: 18 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Poo-T

Bronze

Stated Assumption? PT 36 Sec. 1 Q: 18

Post by Poo-T » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't think I've ever run into this before. This question asks for the assumption that allows the argument to follow. In the passage it says "If the data reported in a recent study are correct, moderate exercise lowers blood cholesterol levels". The answer was D, "The data reported in the recent study are correct". I answered it right, but it seemed weird to me. Granted, the answer IS an assumption, but it's already regarded as an assumption in the passage, hence the "if". I've never had a question ask for an assumption that's already stated in the passage before.

Just wondering what you guys thing. This is another Kaplan test btw.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: Stated Assumption? PT 36 Sec. 1 Q: 18

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:42 pm

yeah that one's a bit weird and unconventional

but the conclusion is if X then Y and the answer choice provides that X for you which allows you to make the deduction Y which is ultimately your conclusion; and given that it's a sufficient assumption question it kinda does make sense as an answer choice -- though not typical

Kaplan didn't fuck up this time :p

vegso

New

Post by vegso » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:48 pm

i LOVED that question. Throw this huge smoke and mirrors to you for the first 90% of the stim, then in the end the conclusion is a really simple if A->B, and which allows the conclusion to follow logically? Well after a few answer choices that sorta make sense given all the info in the stim you see A

SumStalwart

Bronze

Post by SumStalwart » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:41 am

Yeah, this actually showed up on the exam. I have never run into a question like this again.. Just be happy that it was really straight forward, and pray that you'll encounter something like this on the exam that you sit for xD

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”