LSAT vocabulary words. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
bobbypin

Bronze

Re: LSAT vocabulary words.

Post by bobbypin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm

deputydog wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
The difference between LSAT and law school is that you aren't expected to read passages like the above in 1 minute and 20 seconds.
I don't see your point.
When the writing is complex in law school, you can pull out your dictionary or take a moment to re-read.
It doesn't matter on the LSAT, because you only have about 1m:20sec to read and answer.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:58 pm

bobbypin wrote:
deputydog wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
The difference between LSAT and law school is that you aren't expected to read passages like the above in 1 minute and 20 seconds.
I don't see your point.
When the writing is complex in law school, you can pull out your dictionary or take a moment to re-read.
It doesn't matter on the LSAT, because you only have about 1m:20sec to read and answer.
I think a lack of vocabulary is indicative of something larger. Reading is a habit, as is writing, and is hard to remedy once you reach law school. Sure, you can pull a dictionary off the shelf (or find one online) and everyone does this. But the LSAT shouldn't be a vocabulary test for anyone planning to go into this field.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 pm

stillwater wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
deputydog wrote:
bobbypin wrote:
I don't see your point.
I think a lack of vocabulary is indicative of something larger. Reading is a habit, as is writing, and is hard to remedy once you reach law school. Sure, you can pull a dictionary off the shelf (or find one online) and everyone does this. But the LSAT shouldn't be a vocabulary test for anyone planning to go into this field.
Also you should spend longer than 1:20 reading the passage.

paradoxpredator

New

Post by paradoxpredator » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:37 pm

Wow I was on here last night, and it is till going down. Good grief.

"Pass them rocks like Stockton"

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm

paradoxpredator wrote:"Pass them rocks like Stockton"
I don't get this. Is this supposed to be a game? Guess which objectively shitty rapper I'm listening to, or something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KremeCheez

Bronze

Post by KremeCheez » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

deputydog wrote:
paradoxpredator wrote:"Pass them rocks like Stockton"
I don't get this. Is this supposed to be a game? Guess which objectively shitty rapper I'm listening to, or something?
StocktontoMalone.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:26 pm

quinnmittens wrote:I mean "Hastened?" at first glance, it sounds like it means to hinder or to put something to a halt. But in actuality, it means to make something happen sooner or more quickly. A person would have not gotten the answer right if they did not know the definition of the word in a answer choice.
How did you get this? I'm sure you know what haste means right? I mean shit, have you ever played any video game (especially Final Fantasy)? Spells called "haste"... increase attack speed and whatnot.

Then what do you think haste-ned does?!

I don't see how it sounds like "to hinder".
heebie-jeebies wrote:
deputydog wrote: Heebiejeebies - 'Pandamount' isn't a word. Quit playing the victim card, no one cares.
Are you sure about that? If it is not a word, then what is it?
Your argument (that pandamount is a word despite it not appearing in a dictionary) rests upon the assumption that any collection of letters without spaces between them must be a word.

Necessary assumptions baby, oh yeah!
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:30 pm

Haste makes waste could mean that waste hinders performance, because it does

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm

heebie-jeebies wrote:I'm with quinnmittens. The appearance of unusual words that nobody is likely know is tantamount to discrimination, and it's just unfair. 30 years ago, people probably argued vehemently against charges that standardized tests discriminated against minorities, but subsequently the LSAC and others came around to understand that there was a legitimate basis for these charges. So, here we are.... big words that probably confuse a lot of people and a bunch of elitists trying to maintain their privilege in the status quo.
I spell-checked for you (bolded words). "Privilege in their status quo" makes no sense but I digress.

None of your words were big bro. If you think that little blurb you wrote used "unusual words that nobody is likely to know", you're gonna have a hard time in law school. Have you taken the SAT? SAT vocab is much harder than LSAT "vocab".
laxbrah420 wrote:Haste makes waste could mean that waste hinders performance, because it does
Your mental acrobatic capabilities far surpass mine. I guess OP is just more creative than I am.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 pm

^
I'm with quinnmittens. The appearance of unusual words that nobody is likely know is tantamount to discrimination
I beat you to it. :YES:
--ImageRemoved--
Also, yeah the note about Final Fantasy, now I can show everyone that my huge amounts of hours finishing games for no specific meaning or purpose other than joy, do in fact resonate in findings of specific increase in one's score, specifically, mine.

heebie-jeebies

New

Post by heebie-jeebies » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
heebie-jeebies wrote:I'm with quinnmittens. The appearance of unusual words that nobody is likely know is tantamount to discrimination, and it's just unfair. 30 years ago, people probably argued vehemently against charges that standardized tests discriminated against minorities, but subsequently the LSAC and others came around to understand that there was a legitimate basis for these charges. So, here we are.... big words that probably confuse a lot of people and a bunch of elitists trying to maintain their privilege in the status quo.
I spell-checked for you (bolded words). "Privilege in their status quo" makes no sense but I digress.

None of your words were big bro. If you think that little blurb you wrote used "unusual words that nobody is likely to know", you're gonna have a hard time in law school. Have you taken the SAT? SAT vocab is much harder than LSAT "vocab".
This is very helpful. I appreciate the effort you put into this, even though I also feel somewhat ashamed. As you point out, none of the words I used were big. And, well, that's kind of my problem. I have a small vocabulary; and it's also clear that I do not know how to spell some of the bigger words that I do know. I will study the corrections you've been kind enough to make here, and hopefully I can learn from them.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:58 am

quinnmittens wrote:My two cents.
paradoxpredator wrote:Wow I was on here last night, and it is till going down. Good grief.
Banned for being the same person. Thread lock.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”