Pre-workout formulas before PTing? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
shehadehr

New

Pre-workout formulas before PTing?

Post by shehadehr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:57 am

I'm thinking about taking something before I PT. Maybe. All during my undergraduate career I took Adderall and yeah, great stuff. I cannot, however, get my hands on Adderall now because while I have ADHD, I cannot afford medical insurance so getting a prescription is out of the question. I read that sometimes people take cocktails of redbull and 5-hr, others do coffee, others etc.

I don't know what to go with yet, if anything, as there is always the option of just getting a good nights rest, eating a great breakfast, then hitting it. But the truth is that this test is too important for me not to utilize every resource i can. I workout alot and before I workout I take a pre-workout drink. They're designed to give the user intense focus and, depending on what you take, a little kick in terms of strength. The other day I was lifting and it hit me: I'm in such a focused beast mode right now that what if I took this stuff before I PT. So idk. I'm taking the December test. My first of many PTs is scheduled for Oct 6th. I want to try it then and see if I feel more concentrated/focused. Perhaps some element of getting these sections done faster will come into play too (for right now my timing it garbage).

Has anyone ever tried taking pre-workouts before PTing, if so, what are your thoughts? Also, for those who don't use pre-workout formulas, or anyone else who is interested in lending your thoughts, please, they're much appreciated too! Lastly, does anyone know of a good combination to take for studying supplements (I heard Vitamin B-6, B-12, and L-Theanine)? Currently, I take fish oil and multi-vitamins every morning anyway. I was taking Ginko until I found out that useless you actually have memory deficit issues, Ginko actually does nothing for you.

What do you guys think?

Cerebro

Bronze

Re: Pre-workout formulas before PTing?

Post by Cerebro » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:27 am

Maybe take a deep breath. Oxygen is essential to proper brain function. Anybody know if Breathe Right nasal strips are allowed in the test?

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:04 am

If you could take the LSAT on a toilet seat, I would recommend Redline Extreme.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:52 am

I tried the coffee and 5 Hour Energy method on three consecutive occasions and needless to say, I was a jittery mess during my last 2 PTs (these were also the tests where I scored 163-166 scores). I might just be naturally an overactive thinker so speeding up my thoughts just makes me too nervous. Anyway, maybe nitric oxide might help you. That's a bodybuilding supplement that is supposed to encourage your muscles to relax and help your body utilize glucose more effectively. It's over the counter and I've used it a few times. --LinkRemoved--. I am going to start taking a few more PTs in the next few days, so I'll give N.O. a whirl before PTing. I do notice that a protein shake tends to help me - most have L-Arginine which is a pre-cursor to nitric oxide and the infusion of vitamins + minterals make me feel more energetic than just trying to dump caffeine into my body.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Make sure you have a clear mind before PTing. Get enough sleep, work out, and get your errands and other obligations done before PTing. Take a multivitamin and eat a balanced diet. Taking a supplement right before PTing might have a placebo effect, but probably nothing more. I used to take a 5-Hour Energy before PTing, but if caffeine makes you jittery, you might be better off eating something before PTing. Try to eat something with complex carbohydrates before PTing, so you don't spike your blood sugar (like a PBJ on wheat).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Personally, preworkout drinks jack me up way, way too much to take them directly before the test. Even after a full workout, I'm still goin hard on them. Obviously it depends what type of pre workout you take though.

Although, come to think of it, I came to this conclusion about them when I was somewhat inexperienced with them and thus had little tolerance ... maybe I might try a PT with some now. Just my .02 from experience.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:36 pm

I only drink a Jay Robb protein shake before working out, maybe adding amino acid powder or an N.O. pill if I have them, so I guess it depends on what is in the pre-workout drink you use. I don't use creatine or anything loaded with sugar, though.

shehadehr

New

Post by shehadehr » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 pm

Yeah I hear you guys. I'm thinking about just sleeping well those nights (sleeping well every night!), eating the right breakfast, maybe drilling a game or a couple LR questions (and not looking if I got the answers right or wrong), clearing my mind, then PT time.

With respect to the pre-workouts, I tried BSN's N.O. pills awhile back and like them, it's just that I'm taking protein, creatine, pre-workout, and a test booster as of now, and I'm not sure if I want to add another thing to my cycle. the test booster finishes next week so maybe I'll look to take N.O. then.

My tolerance is pretty good with pre-workouts. I took them my last two years at school, and I'm still taking them, so that's 2.4 years of constant going into the gym in beast mode type feeling. In other words, when I try it, I might up the scoops a little. Idk. Maybe I won't even do it. Someone made a comment about how they already think fast, and I do too. I noticed that even though im not on adderall anymore I still don't get distracted. Example, I live near UCI so I use their library to study sometimes. When I'm focused nothing phases me. People coughing, moving, making noise, cute girls walking by glancing. Esp with the girls, I try to tell myself she's taking away from my ability to get the score I'm after, and it usually does the trick 8) .

Anyway, I know my issue is just timing. I know I have two months to work this out, but I guess I figure that if I get my timing down I can reach a point where I have time left over to check certain questions etc (even just to finish the section accurately). I keep thinking that if I take something before, this something will help me to work faster through the sections, and thereby letting me put some time in the bank to come back and check things and/or accurately finish. Perhaps I'm looking at it all wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”