Any tips for not forgetting LG rules? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
esther0123

Bronze

Any tips for not forgetting LG rules?

Post by esther0123 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi all,

I suspect the simple answer would be "drilling," but I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to remembering all the rules at play during logic game. I've noticed that most of my mistakes come from either not reading a rule/reading a rule incorrectly (missing a key word like.. 'not'), or just simply forgetting about a rule even after reading them!!

Any wisdom one might want to share?

CalAlumni

Bronze

Re: Any tips for not forgetting LG rules?

Post by CalAlumni » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:24 pm

A clear and understandable notation system for the different rules in the LG is key. Moreover, if you fear you've made a mistake or are prone to making mistakes, double-check your rule notations, because if they aren't correct you've already lost.

Before I answer most questions, I scan the rules to make sure I'm cognizant of them. I have to say though, that by-and-large most rules are pretty easy to keep in your head--this comes with practice.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Not really about not forgetting rules, but one thing that has hurt me in the past: when questions are like "ABCDEFGH and I are ranked 1 to 9. B must be ranked a higher number than F." So I'd have the setup of

123456789 and B----F when really a higher number would mean F-----B. Don't realize it til like 2 questions in and then need to start all over, wasting like 3 mins

vegso

New

Post by vegso » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:06 pm

well it's hard to give tips on how to read better, but I just have all the rules written out in my own notation in a vertical format so that everytime i hit a question i scan all of them to make sure im not missing something

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:34 pm

Double check the rules. This will allow you to make sure you've diagrammed them correctly and review them again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zensack

Bronze

Post by Zensack » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:09 pm

For the most part, mathematical symbols will get the job done (Reread your Stat 101 book). Temporal relationships I denote with ; and : for after and immediately after, respectively.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:11 am

vegso wrote:well it's hard to give tips on how to read better, but I just have all the rules written out in my own notation in a vertical format so that everytime i hit a question i scan all of them to make sure im not missing something
This. When I make deductions, I just go straight down my list of rules. When I'm doing a conditional question, I go back and go through each rule, one at a time. Don't EVER rely on remembering the rules - check against them every time. If you're methodical about it, it will also save you time.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:20 am

Yep. Don't try to remember them. Write them down in a clear, standardized notation and scan. If you can remember things, great. But don't try to. The less you try to keep track of in your head, the less chance you'll get confused or make a mistake as you're plowing through the game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”