LR re-reading stimulus. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LionelHutzJD

Silver

LR re-reading stimulus.

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm

It seems that most of the time im having to re read the stimulus which in turn hurts my time. I'm usually able to either finish the section or miss 1 and at most 2 questions. I'm consistently scoring anywhere from -6, -10 on the section. What should be my plan of action? Thanks

wtrc

Gold

Re: LR re-reading stimulus.

Post by wtrc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Timing isn't your issue, if you are finishing the section but missing 6-10 you need a better understanding of the fundamentals. Do you have the PS Bible? Have you gone back and looked for a pattern- are you missing the same types of questions, or all over?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Honestly, i'm all over. I have the PS bible but havent really gone over it since i began my TM class. I did look over a few of the chapters and its really everything i know already, dont really feel like its going to bring me anything new that would help me. Do you know what i mean or am i wrong?

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:42 pm

TM might help you hammer out some of the fundamentals, if you are a course kind of guy (I am not). It will also help you separate into question types, and just drill. Seriously, do whatever homework they give you.

I can't speak for anyone but myself (and I still miss up to 3 sometimes in LR), but for me there were things that seemed super easy in those books that still helped me, because of tiny errors I didn't realize. How's your RC?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Anywhere from -7 to -10

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Anyone else have input? Sorry, I don't normally bump...

Mik Ekim

Bronze

Post by Mik Ekim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 pm

When you re-read, are you reading the entire stimulus again, or going back for specific information? You should expect to keep going back for specific information, and that's not a bad thing. However, if you are consistently having to stop in the middle of the answer choices to reread the entire stimulus, that means you are having trouble prioritizing and organizing in your initial run through it.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:51 pm

Its a little of both. Probably mostly having to re read the entire stim. Do you think this could be because I read the stem first and might be looking for the answer before I finish?

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:55 pm

I reread probably half the LR stimuli and finish between 30-35min consistently and miss 0-3 per section. I don't see a problem in rereading stimuli... what will slow you down is not knowing all the flaws or how to attack each and every question type.

If you do an LR question and either the answer or method to solve it isn't immediately apparent, then that's your problem. Nearly every question in the section should be obvious either from the process of working the answer or just from reading the stimulus and answer choices.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:08 pm

cahwc12 wrote:I reread probably half the LR stimuli and finish between 30-35min consistently and miss 0-3 per section. I don't see a problem in rereading stimuli... what will slow you down is not knowing all the flaws or how to attack each and every question type.

If you do an LR question and either the answer or method to solve it isn't immediately apparent, then that's your problem. Nearly every question in the section should be obvious either from the process of working the answer or just from reading the stimulus and answer choices.
Let me rephrase a little bit. Most of the time im able to know the process in turn leading me to eliminate three wrong answer choices thus leaving two. This is where ill either 1. spend too much time debating or 2. picking the wrong answer.

DSman

Silver

Post by DSman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:11 am

Heres what I've learned for reading in LR. Read naturally. Don't over concentrate or try to pick apart every sentence. Just normally read the entire thing and make sure you know can the conclusion and the main point. Then as you eliminate the answers, you probably SHOULD go back and re read some of it (or all of it) check to make sure your final choice is right.

I think one problem people make, including me, is that they are so focused on the fact that they have to read and absorb the info that they forget to actually know what they're reading. Then they have to repeat. Read naturally and without effort. This doesn't mean quickly glancing over either. But as strange as this may sound, over concentration can be detrimental.

If you're having trouble deciding between two answers, you can multiple things like 1) look for scope. Does one answer over reach? 2) Which one actually answers the question as opposed to just saying some accurate but unrelated. 3) Relate your choice back to the stimulus and see if it fits in to the specifics of the stimulus.

I, Lawyer

New

Post by I, Lawyer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:03 am

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:07 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote: Let me rephrase a little bit. Most of the time im able to know the process in turn leading me to eliminate three wrong answer choices thus leaving two. This is where ill either 1. spend too much time debating or 2. picking the wrong answer.
I think it's more likely 1. spend too much time debating or 2. spend too much time debating AND pick the wrong answer. I'd be surprised if you spent less time picking the right answer with debate than picking the wrong answer.

As far as re-reading the stimulus, I would say that's not the best use of time, but obviously you're under time, so it's not too big of a deal. The questions you're getting wrong - do those tend to be the ones you spend more time on? If you know you're struggling with a question and get it wrong, there's ways to attack that. If you're getting the questions wrong that you're breezing past, that's more problematic.

As far as patterns go, it's not just question types that can show you your pattern in answer questions incorrectly. It's also similar answer choices/tricks the LSAT uses to get you to pick them. Start keeping track of how the LSAT hid the right answer and made the wrong answer look good. They use the same tricks over and over, and students fall for the same tricks over and over. If you can figure out which tricks you're falling for (i.e. you keep picking the answer that would be right except for one logical force keyword, or one word that means something different than the stimulus, or has complex language meant to confuse you into picking it), you'll be a lot closer to not doing that anymore.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”