Economist debates > economist articles for RC practice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
M.M.

Bronze

Economist debates > economist articles for RC practice?

Post by M.M. » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Hey everyone, I have noticed that many people suggest reading the economist and NYT to practice RC, but have also noticed that while reading the economist is good for getting used to dense, tougher than usual material, the logical structure of it isn't always very clear / arguments are not necessarily made. I have occasionally read an economist debate, and I think they would probably be helpful for practicing identifying the logical structure of RC passages, and seem to be more similar to RC passages than usual economist articles.

They can be found here:

http://www.economist.com/debate/debates/overview/236

"Recent debates" at the bottom of the page provides more of them as well.

As a novice TLSer and less than perfect LSAT scorer, I invite the opinions, constructive criticism, and augmentation of this post by others. I just saw this as a very meager opportunity to give back to TLS so I jumped at it :)

Good luck studying!

Mik Ekim

Bronze

Re: Economist debates > economist articles for RC practice?

Post by Mik Ekim » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm

that's a good find!

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:33 pm

You know what the best thing to read if you wanna study reading comprehension? Reading comprehension.

BrianP

New

Post by BrianP » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:23 am

How do you read 'reading comprehension'?

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:01 am

I suggest reading more of the 280 available official LSAT RC passages for RC practice. Even the oldest passages will be better practice than reading non-lsat texts. Unless you are planning to exhaust these 280 available RC passages, don't bother with supplementing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSAT Hacks (Graeme)

Bronze

Post by LSAT Hacks (Graeme) » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:58 pm

I agree with the others. There are *PLENTY* of old RC passages. They're VERY different from any articles, even economist articles. You're best off reading those.

RCinDNA

Bronze

Post by RCinDNA » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:43 pm

M.M. wrote:Hey everyone, I have noticed that many people suggest reading the economist and NYT to practice RC, but have also noticed that while reading the economist is good for getting used to dense, tougher than usual material, the logical structure of it isn't always very clear / arguments are not necessarily made. I have occasionally read an economist debate, and I think they would probably be helpful for practicing identifying the logical structure of RC passages, and seem to be more similar to RC passages than usual economist articles.

They can be found here:

http://www.economist.com/debate/debates/overview/236

"Recent debates" at the bottom of the page provides more of them as well.

As a novice TLSer and less than perfect LSAT scorer, I invite the opinions, constructive criticism, and augmentation of this post by others. I just saw this as a very meager opportunity to give back to TLS so I jumped at it :)

Good luck studying!
I just started reading the debate involving public funding for the arts (hey, that reminds me of a LR stimulus!). Thanks for sharing!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”