how to avoid small mistakes? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ijomer

New

how to avoid small mistakes?

Post by ijomer » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:12 am

I had two questions, first, how do i avoid making stop mistakes on LR? many times when i go over the sections i do, i find many incorrect answers that i would have gotten correct at all times

2ndly, how long does it take to build up speed ? my test is in October, i understand all fundamentals of LR, LG and have finished the 2 bibles twice, and Superprep as well and also 20 preptest worth of sections and a few lsat preptests timed,, but how long will it take to speed up alot?

my third question is, is there really any effective way to study for RC?

bp shinners

Gold

Re: how to avoid small mistakes?

Post by bp shinners » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 pm

ijomer wrote:I had two questions, first, how do i avoid making stop mistakes on LR? many times when i go over the sections i do, i find many incorrect answers that i would have gotten correct at all times
Figure out how the LSAT is tricking you into making those small mistakes. There's usually a pattern to them - you skip logical force words; you equivocate between two terms; etc... Once you figure out what type of mistake you're making, you can work on fixing it.
2ndly, how long does it take to build up speed ? my test is in October, i understand all fundamentals of LR, LG and have finished the 2 bibles twice, and Superprep as well and also 20 preptest worth of sections and a few lsat preptests timed,, but how long will it take to speed up alot?
It takes much longer to get accurate than it does to get fast while maintaining that accuracy. If your accuracy is where you want it, start drilling for speed. Break down the time spent on each question/part of question (for LG/RC). Put time constraints on yourself. Take a look at your work and see what was useless (i.e. it didn't get you closer to a correct answer).
my third question is, is there really any effective way to study for RC?
Yep. RC is all about recognizing the pattern to the section. They ask about the same features over and over again. They use the same questions over and over again. Keep practicing, but also take time to note where in the passage the questions come from. If you do that, you'll start to predict questions while reading the passage, which makes them a lot easier to answer.

For instance, if there's a list of characteristics in a passage, expect that to show up in a question or two.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”