need your advice on how to score 173+ in 5-6 weeks Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
1TLStudent

New

need your advice on how to score 173+ in 5-6 weeks

Post by 1TLStudent » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 pm

scored a 166 in feb 2012. havent started prepping again but going to take the october 2012 lsat. missing easy LR questions and having trouble finding deductions in LG (i think due to subpar setups) as well as forgetting to incorporate one rule sometimes. have a bunch of work for my last classes in UG this upcoming week so realistically I will have 5 full weeks at 4-5 hours a day to study. total of roughly 120-180 hours. Need the best strategies to help minimize these problem areas. Any help or advice is much appreciated. thanks.

gg2

New

Re: need your advice on how to score 173+ in 5-6 weeks

Post by gg2 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:33 pm

that is exactly my situation now except this is my first time taking the test (Im averaging in the mid 160s on practice tests... REALLY need to get a good score.... regressing in logical reasoning and reading comprehension.
hope someone replies!

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 pm

Drill by question type daily. Pt every 3 days.
Read and re-read the two bibles.
Good luck.
I'm retaking from a cold 160 (pt average around 172 now).

EdBurke

New

Post by EdBurke » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 pm

ashen wrote:Drill by question type daily. Pt every 3 days.
Good luck.
The above was similar to what I did and it made a big difference (I got 175+ on June LSAT). I also found it extremely helpful to circle questions I was uncertain on and then do an in-depth review all of the questions I missed + the questions I had circled. I'd try to figure out why I was uncertain and what I had thought was correct versus what was correct. If I'd missed a question I hadn't circled I'd look to why I was confident and still missed it. I was missing an easy LR almost every test when I started prepping, I found I was just reading too fast in the first 10 trying to save time.

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:04 am

EdBurke wrote:
ashen wrote:Drill by question type daily. Pt every 3 days.
Good luck.
The above was similar to what I did and it made a big difference (I got 175+ on June LSAT). I also found it extremely helpful to circle questions I was uncertain on and then do an in-depth review all of the questions I missed + the questions I had circled. I'd try to figure out why I was uncertain and what I had thought was correct versus what was correct. If I'd missed a question I hadn't circled I'd look to why I was confident and still missed it. I was missing an easy LR almost every test when I started prepping, I found I was just reading too fast in the first 10 trying to save time.
^ What he said. But, I'll also add one thing to that:

While you're going over the questions you got wrong, try not to look at what the right answer was in the key, just know that you got it wrong. Then try to re-solve it and see if you can get the correct answer on your own.

For every Q you got wrong, take a paper and write down in depth why the correct answer was right, why your incorrect answer was wrong, and what made you choose the wrong answer (whether it's a trick or just that you didn't read - half of my incorrect Qs have "READ MORE CAREFULLY" written next to them). This way, if it was a trick, you'll start to instantly recognize those same tricks on later papers and will be able to avoid falling for them again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”