Recommendation for LR books? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
applemaroon

Bronze

Recommendation for LR books?

Post by applemaroon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:21 pm

Hi everyone!

Any recommendations for Logical Reasoning books? I already have the Manhattan LR book and the LR PowerScore Bible. At this point, I am still missing around 5 on the LR section, so I just need a ton of problems for drilling. Other than buying literally every preptest (and let's face it, I already have 2/3 of them), what are some other alternatives for practicing LR? Or is buying up all the preptests the way to go?

In addition, any advice on how to do better on the LR section? I feel like I'm stuck at -5 on the section with no further improvement. Aghh!!

Thanks for your help!

gaud

Platinum

Re: Recommendation for LR books?

Post by gaud » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 am

How are you reviewing LR?

You need to make sure, regardless of whether you got credit for the question, that you understand it in-and-out. Your review should take 5 times as long as it took to answer the question during the test. Figure out why each choice is correct or incorrect. If you miss the question, literally write out an explanation of why the correct answer is correct using your own words. Figure out why you missed it. Were you being careless? Did you properly identify the question type? Were you tricked at some point / what was that trick? Have you seen a question similar to this? How are they similar and how are they different? Ask yourself those sorts of questions. Be thorough.

You shouldn't need anything else for LR, both of those books are excellent.

If you're looking for other ways to practice, I think PS sells a book of LR questions. Also, cambridgelsat.com (I think that's the site) sells LR question books.

Good luck!

Sounder89

New

Post by Sounder89 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 am

The Economist

312ldn

New

Post by 312ldn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:11 am

Sounder89 wrote:The Economist
Why?

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:12 pm

Cambridge q's by type?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:50 pm

ashen wrote:Cambridge q's
+1

I used them and the were great.

Also, consider drilling just difficult questions. This book rocks http://www.amazon.com/LSAT-Practice-Rea ... 0984456910

Sounder89

New

Post by Sounder89 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:09 pm

312ldn wrote:
Why?
If you want to get a prep book a month or two before the test I think the Powerscore RC Bible is helpful, but the OP already has it. A more enjoyable option is 4-5 months before the test, to get in the habit of closely reading magazine and journal articles in a lot of different subject areas. I mentioned the Economist because it's mostly made up of concise articles that analyze complex subjects, much like the RC passages on the LSAT. But if the LSAT is a month away and you need immediate improvement, you really should just get your hands on as many RC sections as possible, do them all timed, and look for patterns of what question types you are missing the most.

relevantfactor

Bronze

Post by relevantfactor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Sounder89 wrote:
312ldn wrote:
Why?
If you want to get a prep book a month or two before the test I think the Powerscore RC Bible is helpful, but the OP already has it. A more enjoyable option is 4-5 months before the test, to get in the habit of closely reading magazine and journal articles in a lot of different subject areas. I mentioned the Economist because it's mostly made up of concise articles that analyze complex subjects, much like the RC passages on the LSAT. But if the LSAT is a month away and you need immediate improvement, you really should just get your hands on as many RC sections as possible, do them all timed, and look for patterns of what question types you are missing the most.
You do realize that OP is talking about LR, not RC, Right?

TERS

Bronze

Post by TERS » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:05 pm

RC fail

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”