Should I take the LSATs in October or December? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
piney

New

Should I take the LSATs in October or December?

Post by piney » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:04 pm

I started preparing for the LSATs in April, but for a number of reasons I haven't been consistent and feel like I've got a lot of work left to do. I have a 3.5 GPA and graduated in 2007 from a top 10 liberal arts. I already have a MA in history and several years of work experience, and I'm hoping to get accepted into a T14 this year. I haven't taken a full test in one session yet, but given my performance on the various sections, I've been scoring in the 170s and think I could do that well in October with a little more practice.

The problem is that mid-170s might not be high enough to get me into Chicago or NYU, for example, and definitely not Columbia. I really think if I prepared the right way, I could bring my score up several points. But I still can't finish the LG section in time, and I sometimes get several questions wrong in LR and RC. I really don't know if I've made any improvement since May, and I don't expect to do really well in October. So is it worth waiting until December to take the test, or will this hurt my chances of getting into the T14?

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Re: Should I take the LSATs in October or December?

Post by LionelHutzJD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:36 pm

Take about 10 practice test over the course of the next two weeks and see what your scores are. Based off these scores, will you be able to get into your desired schools? This is what you must ask yourself.

chadbrochill

Bronze

Post by chadbrochill » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:12 am

You might be surprised at what a mid-170's score can do for you these days since not as many people are applying to law school.

I think in your position, the biggest disadvantage of taking in December is you miss out on early-admissions. I think the fact that sticker price admission is so high kindof dampens early admissions, but it could help if you were trying to get into UVA as a splitter.

+1-2 points can forgive all sins, so just buckle down and study your hardest, take it when you're ready. Best of luck!

Triveal

New

Post by Triveal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:48 am

From what I've heard, 172-173 and a 3.5 will get you into NYU ED.

piney

New

Post by piney » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:32 am

Triveal wrote:From what I've heard, 172-173 and a 3.5 will get you into NYU ED.
I'm actually trying to avoid the ED route, since I really can't pay full price for law school. Would applying in December or January really hurt my chances of being accepted?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:41 am

If you haven't taken a full practice test I doubt you're scoring where you think you're scoring. Take a few of those and reevaluate. I would push to December if you aren't happy where you're at by the end of September.

And for the love of god there's no s at the slot LSAT.

buddyt

Silver

Post by buddyt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:If you haven't taken a full practice test I doubt you're scoring where you think you're scoring. Take a few of those and reevaluate. I would push to December if you aren't happy where you're at by the end of September.
This.

Also lol @ LSATs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”