Struggling with LR Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LionelHutzJD

Silver

Struggling with LR

Post by LionelHutzJD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 pm

I can go anywhere from -7 to -13 on a section. Is my best bet to drill question types until my head falls off?

akasabian

Bronze

Re: Struggling with LR

Post by akasabian » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Well you should first try to figure out what type of questions you are missing. No sense drilling all LR types if you're struggling only with a few different types of questions. Drilling without reviewing and understanding where you make your mistakes won't help you improve that much.

CyanIdes Of March

Silver

Post by CyanIdes Of March » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:00 pm

You should pick up the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible which will help you identify question types and help you get a better fundamental understanding of the questions. I'd start by taking a few of your recent LR sections and counting out the questions you got wrong by type (according to LRB) so you can see where your problem areas are.

Drilling will help you solidify your understanding and manuevure over trick answers and funky wording, it won't help as much with giving you a basic understanding of the section as the LRB will.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:02 pm

I went over the bible before i started my testmasters course in july. I should probably go over the bible again right?

alexK_

New

Post by alexK_ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:12 pm

If you're not missing only a few kinds of questions, you might just be having trouble really understanding the argument. Manhattan LR has all that "argument core" stuff which might be useful for you if that's the case.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:13 pm

alexK_ wrote:If you're not missing only a few kinds of questions, you might just be having trouble really understanding the argument. Manhattan LR has all that "argument core" stuff which might be useful for you if that's the case.

As in distinguishing conclusions and premises? For the most part i'm pretty solid with that. And a bunch of times I narrow it down to two choices and pick the wrong one.

alexK_

New

Post by alexK_ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:44 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
alexK_ wrote:If you're not missing only a few kinds of questions, you might just be having trouble really understanding the argument. Manhattan LR has all that "argument core" stuff which might be useful for you if that's the case.
As in distinguishing conclusions and premises? For the most part i'm pretty solid with that. And a bunch of times I narrow it down to two choices and pick the wrong one.
As in how the two relate to each other.

I didn't read the LRB but in every solution in Manhattan there's an explanation of how each answer choice was eliminated. That might be helpful.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:46 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:

Then start picking the one that looks wrong to you lol

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:56 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:I went over the bible before i started my testmasters course in july. I should probably go over the bible again right?
I would go over the Bible again, I bought the Bibles after I took Testmasters and found that I just missed things the first time. Also, don't drill just drill, when i took Testmasters i was drilling pretty much so I could tell myself that I answered the questions and did the work so that must be good enough...it wasn't. Take your time with them and do them in small groups and understand why you got them right and why you got them wrong (sounds obvious but I didn't figure this out until 2 days before the June test).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”