Kaplan Tutor Question: Is it worth it? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Ixiion

Bronze

Kaplan Tutor Question: Is it worth it?

Post by Ixiion » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:25 am

Hi, I'm a brand new TLS member! I've stalked these forums for sometime but never signed up. And now I have a question! I'm not going to lie, I've only taken three full practice tests. (Well, four, but I can't remember what I got on the first test.) So I know that it's extremely hard to judge my scores/stats because of the extremely small sample. However, I've also done many LR and LG sections separately, so the averages are accurate. But hopefully you guys can help me anyway...

On those three tests, my scores were: 168, 170, 171. I need to achieve a consistent score of a minimum of 172, preferably 174 and above.

I'm getting either perfect LG scores or only 1 wrong, so I'm pretty confident in that section. All I need to do for that is increase my speed, and I understand that the only way to do that is through practice. However, I'm having problems with the LR and RC sections. I'm getting approximately -3 per LR section and -4 per RC section.

I have every single LSAC Prep Book (SuperPrep, every single "10 PrepTest" book). I read a lot of insisting recommendations for the PowerScore LR bible, so I bought all 3 of them, though those haven't arrived yet.

I'm considering buying Kaplan's 15 hour tutoring package, even though I can't realistically afford it. I was thinking of waiting until I've studied the LR & RC bibles cover to cover, but I don't have time to wait. If I want to buy Kaplan's package, I need to do so by next week, since I plan on taking the October test. I know a lot of people here strongly advise going over the questions that gave you trouble - whether you got the answer right or wrong. And I am doing that. The problem is that no matter how many times I go over them, I still don't understand why I'm getting them wrong (and sometimes I don't truly understand why I got them right either). That's why I want to buy the Kaplan package.

But, hoping that some of you have had the same concerns and perhaps either bought or decided not to buy a similar package, I wanted to ask: Is it worth it? Better yet, can they explain to me why I am getting these darned questions wrong in a way that I no longer make these mistakes? I do believe practice makes perfect, but practice is useless if I don't understand what in the world I'm doing.

In case you need further details: My main problems are the questions that ask for similar reasoning (flawed or otherwise). And I looked into taking a logic or reasoning class at my University, but sadly I do not have the time for it. I'm a double major taking 18 credits every single semester.

tl;dr: Do I pay for Kaplan or not? And do you have advice for other methods of studying, other than pushing out prep tests?
Thanks so much for any help or advice.. And I'm sorry for the wall of text. As I'm sure everyone is used to - I'm extremely anxious.

justonemoregame

Silver

Re: Kaplan Tutor Question: Is it worth it?

Post by justonemoregame » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:43 am

I would search these forums for specific topics before paying for Kaplan. There is a variety of RC approaches, and I imagine testing them would help. Loads of info. on LR.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:46 am

I would advise against tutoring. With your scores I would say self-study can get you over the hump if you maintain discipline. Manhattan LR Guide is super credited for helping high scorers (10 dollar Kindle edition if you don't want to fork over the dough), but drilling questions and review should get you where you need to be.

If you do take a tutoring service, for the love of god do not take Kaplan. At your level I doubt they'll provide a ton of help.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am

Kaplan's tutors only need a 163. You probably are more knowledgeable about the LSAT at this point than they are. They explicitly state during training that their goal for most students is to get them into the 160's.

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:56 am

Holy --- okay, I didn't know that Kaplan's tutors are that low-scoring. When I asked, I was assured they had scored in the top percentile. Good thing I asked you guys first. I don't want someone with a 163 teaching me.

Thanks. And I'll get the Manhattan LR, then. I just really need something to explain to me the formulas or whatever behind these similar reasoning questions.

Out of curiosity, then: If I wanted to get a tutor, where should I get one from?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:59 am

Ixiion wrote:Holy --- okay, I didn't know that Kaplan's tutors are that low-scoring. When I asked, I was assured they had scored in the top percentile. Good thing I asked you guys first. I don't want someone with a 163 teaching me.

Thanks. And I'll get the Manhattan LR, then. I just really need something to explain to me the formulas or whatever behind these similar reasoning questions.

Out of curiosity, then: If I wanted to get a tutor, where should I get one from?
TestMasters, Manhattan, Blueprint all have high scorers (170+) as teachers.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:18 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Ixiion wrote:Holy --- okay, I didn't know that Kaplan's tutors are that low-scoring. When I asked, I was assured they had scored in the top percentile. Good thing I asked you guys first. I don't want someone with a 163 teaching me.

TestMasters, Manhattan, Blueprint all have high scorers (170+) as teachers.
Yeah Kaplan's tutors have to be in top 10% of test takers (163/164) so I would stay far away. I did self prep and I found it to be effective.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

I just want to let you know that I recently turned down a job for Kaplan, and I would have been potentially tutoring you. I scored 168 in June (although PTing 173-175), which is technically below the range you're at now.

I do private tutoring for $50/hr, and I do think someone in your position could stand to benefit from private tutoring, but I highly recommend searching for reputable, affordable tutor that you can pay on an hour-by-hour basis rather than committing to 15 hours with a tutor you may or may not like and who may or may not (probably not) have scored better than you.

In all honesty though, at the range you're scoring in, your best bet would be to find a reliable study partner scoring in your range rather than pay for a tutor who will be of similar benefit.

If you absolutely must have a tutor in addition to a study partner (which you can find in droves here on TLS), I recommend getting one of the many 177+ scorers who frequent the boards.

I did a tutoring session with Larkin Robson (NYCLSATTutor on TLS) and think he would benefit you: http://180degreeslsat.com/

I also recommend Matt Shinners (bp shinners), Jeff Moenter (jeffort), Dave Hall or Steve Schwartz (LSATBlog) who I believe all still do private tutoring as well. If you search around you can find several others who will give you some great bang for your buck.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:47 am

retracted, misinformation
Last edited by cahwc12 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:50 am

cahwc12 wrote:

This may be correct. It may well be the case that Kaplan requires 99th percentile scorers (173+) for private 1-on-1 tutoring. 163 is merely the cutoff for classroom teaching.

In either case I would still not recommend investing in 15-hours upfront with someone you don't know who will likely forcibly apply kaplan's bell curve methods on you.
No. Kaplan requires 90th percentile (~163) for entry into training. If you are a good teacher, they will let you tutor. There is no LSAT requirement once you get through the initial teacher training in order to become a tutor, but it does require that you've taught at least one class and had good reviews from your students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”