Took my 1st PT in a while today, args killed me. Questions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
M.M.

Bronze

Took my 1st PT in a while today, args killed me. Questions

Post by M.M. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:14 pm

Hey guys, I haven't taken a PT since I finished my Princeton Review course .... 3 months ago? I have been working on LG and I did better than I was doing when I finished which was a relief, especially as it was the last section and I was definitely fatigued. RC was where I was at last time, but my args TANKED. I used to go ~-2 per section, I got -5 and -6 this time ... though I haven't done an args section in seriously months and tried a new strategy (starting at #10 to keep my mind fresh and then going back).

Here are some factors that could've affected my args:

- Took pre workout this morning that seemed to fog my mind, will be trying a way smaller dose or just coffee (I usually hit the gym 6 AM, then study / test at 8 as my test will be at 8)
- Was pretty nervous
- Haven't done args in a long time
- Have been out of school and my philosophy major is what makes me decent at args, will be back in school for a month before taking the October 6th LSAT

I seriously hate for this to just sound like a list of excuses, but it truly freaked me out how bad I got at them all of a sudden, especially when args came pretty naturally when I was doing them consistently. Some questions I almost couldn't even figure out what it was asking, and when I had heard some of Princeton Review's methods on how to identify what a question was asking I couldn't believe some people couldn't figure it out, then found myself to be that person.

I realize I am the only one that can likely answer this, but
- has anyone experienced anything similar?
- Do you think I can get back to where I was at args?
I rarely really used any methodology of Princeton Review's, like I said I was naturally good at them ... but do you think maybe I was subconsciously using their methods and that's part of what helped make me good, and now that I haven't used them I've forgotten them, meaning I'd have to get some tutoring or something to get back to where I was?

I feel good that I finally got a little better at games, but at a severe loss to my args ability apparently :(

Nova

Platinum

Re: Took my 1st PT in a while today, args killed me. Questions

Post by Nova » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:23 pm

If you have not been practicing, of course you are going to be rusty... You just gotta get back into the swing of it.

Buy Manhattan/PSB. They should help.

Lol @ "args"

Also, starting at question 10 is gimmicky. Start at question 1...

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 pm

Nova wrote:If you have not been practicing, of course you are going to be rusty... You just gotta get back into the swing of it.

Buy Manhattan/PSB. They should help.

Lol @ "args"

Also, starting at question 10 is gimmicky. Start at question 1...

I realize I probably just need to practice them again, but like I said, getting ~ 7 more wrong than I usually would really, really threw me and made me a bit panicky ... guess I just need a second voice of common sense. I'm gonna do a few timed args sections tonight and then try another PT tomorrow to try to get a more accurate reading of where I am. I calculated it and had I done as well as I used to on them I'd be near my goal score.. so it's pretty important that I get back into shape.

Dios mio, I hope this all works out. More motivation I guess. Thanks Nova

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:17 am

Just did another LR section ... -6

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”