LG - Help! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jns66

New

LG - Help!

Post by jns66 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:53 am

Hi everyone,

I've been having some issues getting my LG where it needs to be. I'll usually be able to get three down, timed, with very few questions wrong (-1/-2), but then I'll get to that one game that just throws me for a loop. I've been through the LG bible and am taking the powerscore class. I just need to figure out how to get better/quicker/more confident. Thoughts anyone?

Also, when people say "drill" we are talking preptests here right? I only have 16 left and worried I might run out... Should I maybe start taking some twice? I am aiming for a 170 or higher and have pulled a 169 before but it hasn't been consistent.

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone studying!!

bp shinners

Gold

Re: LG - Help!

Post by bp shinners » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am

jns66 wrote: but then I'll get to that one game that just throws me for a loop.
In general, those ones that 'throw you for a loop' are easy games that they've made difficult either with tricky wording or a rule that throws a wrench in the normal process.

However, the normal process you use to get through the games is still applicable, you just have to make a slight adjustment. So figure out the game type, figure out what you'd normally do, and do that for the 90% of the game that isn't messing with your head. Get through the setup, get some stuff down on the page, and then reassess where the difficulty is coming from. Sometimes, by ignoring it for the first half of your setup, you'll realize that it's actually quite easy to visualize once you get something down on the page. Sometimes, your brain will work out how to deal with it while you're going through your normal process. And sometimes, just getting the rules down will make you familiar enough with the game to have that wrinkle make sense.

For games, it's all about having a set process from which you don't deviate. Those tricky games they throw at you can be tackled using the exact same process; you just have to not freak out and think that the game is something completely different for which all your prep was useless.

jns66

New

Post by jns66 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:21 pm

thanks so much. I totally see what you're saying. What do you think is the best way to drill this "process?" Redoing games over and over until you find one that works, PTing, buying one of the many workbooks out there? I am finding that I am starting to run out of games, especially because I am hesitant to dip into my untouched PT repository (which is growing smaller and smaller by the day).

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:45 am

Here's my process (an expanded version of the Blueprint process):
1) Read the intro. Figure out grouping/ordering
2) Make my setup
3) Check the intro for any additional pieces of information (everyone goes at least once, no one goes Tuesday, etc...)
4) Read each rule and diagram it/put it into setup
5) Double check each rule (seriously, it will save you time in the long run, as well as solidify the game in your head)
6) Check to see if there are any players that don't show up in the rules. Circle them - they're floaters
7) Look to see if anything about my first rule can be combined with the second rule
8) Look to see if anything about my first rule can be combined with the third rule
9) Continue the pattern of 7 and 8 for the first rule and each other rule
10) Combine the pattern of 7-9 with the other rules and each other rule so that every rule is cross-checked once against each other rule
11) List the deductions made from 7-10 in a separate section labeled 'deductions'
12) Check my deductions/rules to see if any are restrictive enough to make scenarios (a large block, a Must be Together grouping relationship, and 'if and only if', etc...)
13) If I can make scenarios, make them; if I can't, go to questions
QUESTIONS
Elimination (first question on most)
1) Read the first rule. Eliminate an answer
2) Read the second rule. Eliminate an answer
3) Continue pattern until 4 answers are eliminated

Absolute (anything without a new piece of info)
1) Check each answer against my setup. If I made the proper deductions, they should answer the question without extra work. If they don't, I missed a deduction. Figure out the answer, and add that deduction to the list

Conditional
1) Draw a hypothetical which copies your setup
2) Input new info
3) Check your first rule to see if it allows you to make any deductions
4) Check your second rule to see if it allows you to make any deductions
5) Continue that pattern for the rest of the rules

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”