Repeating previous LR and RC Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
alexg89

New

Repeating previous LR and RC

Post by alexg89 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 pm

One of my studying strategies has been to occasionally redo old LR and RC sections (of course LG too) once sufficient time has passed (2-6 weeks). I think it has helped me improve my score by helping to reinforce proper technique in the same way a LG repeat helps. It also is nice to do a section without as much pressure as "fresh" questions. Has anyone else experimented with this and has noticed it helping their score?

gaud

Platinum

Re: Repeating previous LR and RC

Post by gaud » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Yes, it will work. Make sure that you are focused on understanding the underlying arguments in the questions, the test is standardized and if you can nail an understanding of those it should help you on future tests.

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 pm

Doing the same thing. The fact that i get any questions wrong the second time gives me a much better idea of where I need to focus most and reassures me that I have not overlooked past errors speeding through PT's over the past few months. It also helps with timing issues as there is less pressure and you can practice getting a feel for LR sections without wasting too many new questions

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

abdistotle wrote:Doing the same thing. The fact that i get any questions wrong the second time gives me a much better idea of where I need to focus most and reassures me that I have not overlooked past errors speeding through PT's over the past few months. It also helps with timing issues as there is less pressure and you can practice getting a feel for LR sections without wasting too many new questions
This is exactly why I love doing repeat material. The other thing, purely mental, that helped me the first time around, was that when I would take a repeat test or two and scored 5-7 points better on the retake, I still felt like that was a genuine improvement. I would often find that many of my mistakes were DIFFERENT questions as well, which was quite interesting to note. On RC for example, I seldom missed the same question twice, but often in retakes would miss different questions. This reinforced the idea that I'd just space out occasionally during the passage and often go "doh! can't believe I missed that one!"

Probably the best practice though I found was repeating LR. Each LR is like a mini puzzle and you use the same chain of logic to solve each one. If you end up missing the same question twice after review, or even find yourself missing new questions, it's quite enlightening.

There are also a few questions that end up poisoning you and you'll miss for silly reasons, but you'll know what I mean when you start to repeat questions. Occasionally you'll get a question that isn't difficult but you can't solve it for some reason of retroactive inference or something like that. But those are a consequence of repeat material and not something to really concern yourself with.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”