Testing a new LR strategy Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
JohnV

Bronze

Testing a new LR strategy

Post by JohnV » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:34 pm

Anyone try this with any success? I've been starting sections at question 10 instead of question 1. I've noticed that this allows me to take on the harder questions (tending to show up in the middle/late-middle first, while my brain is fresh, instead of when I would normally be getting a little worn out.

So far, I've scored -0 and -2, which makes me very happy considering I've never been able to ace one (-1 several times) and had been plateauing at -3 to -4. Anyone else study like this? Anyone else take the test with this strategy with decent results?

EDIT: New for me, could very well be very old for many others, I just haven't heard it suggested here often/at all.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Re: Testing a new LR strategy

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 pm

I've actually thought about doing this but haven't put it in practice yet. After question 10 where do you go from there? Like, do you do questions 10 - 20 and then the first 9 and then the last few?

IgosduIkana

Bronze

Post by IgosduIkana » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Never heard of this or thought of this, will have to try this out! Thanks.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:53 am

Why can't you just do the first 10 questions in 8 minutes?

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:00 am

Interesting. Will give it a try. I personally found slight gains came from doing the first 10 questions quickly, but this could be supplemental.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:38 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:I've actually thought about doing this but haven't put it in practice yet. After question 10 where do you go from there? Like, do you do questions 10 - 20 and then the first 9 and then the last few?
I go 10 to the end, then the first 10 last. If I feel like I need a mental break at at ~20 I reserve the option to go back to the first 10 but so far I haven't needed it.
boblawlob wrote:Why can't you just do the first 10 questions in 8 minutes?
That's what I had been doing before (usually came out to be a little more than that) but the problem I'd run into is I'd hit the hard questions in the middle and I get flustered, my mind seems to get foggy and I lose the sharp concentration needed to be able to ace the section. I always finish the section with at least 3 minutes to spare, even on a bad day, but my accuracy fails when I'm just muscling thing questions that give me trouble and make me feel like I'm "falling behind".

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:05 am

I heard about sprinting to 15 and then starting at the end going backwards to 16.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:29 am

OP, I switched to this about a month before my LSAT and it worked really well for me. I know several others who made the switch successfully after I told them about it.

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:34 am

One thought I'd like to add: while this might keep your mind fresh, it also takes away the confidence boost obtained by answering easy questions that many prep companies seem to tout. Personally I do very well on LR, so I doubt I'll need such a boost, but maybe people should keep that in mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:38 am

M.M. wrote:One thought I'd like to add: while this might keep your mind fresh, it also takes away the confidence boost obtained by answering easy questions that many prep companies seem to tout. Personally I do very well on LR, so I doubt I'll need such a boost, but maybe people should keep that in mind.
hitting 13-26 with a fresh mind is so much more valuable to most people than gaining confidence on what they know to be easy questions.

Triveal

New

Post by Triveal » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:10 am

Yeah, I don't really feel like it's much of a confidence boost if you know the early questions are easier. I'm going to try this tomorrow, thanks OP.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:35 am

Just skip around. Any time I see anything I don't immediately like (complicated syntax, super boring science-y shit, long passages, etc) I just skip it and come back to it. The whole "questions are easy at the beginning and harder at the end" is only partially true.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:10 am

M.M. wrote:One thought I'd like to add: while this might keep your mind fresh, it also takes away the confidence boost obtained by answering easy questions that many prep companies seem to tout. Personally I do very well on LR, so I doubt I'll need such a boost, but maybe people should keep that in mind.
I think that's a good strategy to keep early on in your studying but the confidence boost largely disappears, as others have already mentioned, when you expect to come out of the first 10 or so without missing any. It almost becomes a confidence drain if you struggle on any of the early questions because you expect to fly through them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:39 pm

JohnV wrote:
I think that's a good strategy to keep early on in your studying but the confidence boost largely disappears, as others have already mentioned, when you expect to come out of the first 10 or so without missing any. It almost becomes a confidence drain if you struggle on any of the early questions because you expect to fly through them.

I actually logged on this morning to add to my post: that this advice (look for the confidence boost) will probably not apply to 90% of TLSers... most of the people the prep companies deal with, people will not have practiced / studied nearly as much whereas those on here will usually have taken 20+ PTs.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:41 pm

M.M. wrote:
JohnV wrote:

I actually logged on this morning to add to my post: that this advice (look for the confidence boost) will probably not apply to 90% of TLSers... most of the people the prep companies deal with, people will not have practiced / studied nearly as much whereas those on here will usually have taken 20+ PTs.
true

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:51 pm

This strategy worked pretty well for me as well. However, it's noteworthy that if you're a slower test taker (i.e., you struggle to finish the entire section), then it might be better to just do the easy questions first. No sense in missing questions you'd otherwise get right because of a lack of time.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Heard of it, fairly common on here, but I almost hae a sigh of relief when I see LR. I like my system so havent had the need to try anything new yet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:45 pm

I do 1 - 15, skip to the last question and work backwards to 20, and then do 16 - 20.

I used to think you all were crazy, but now I feel like I'm becoming one of you...

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:38 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:I do 1 - 15, skip to the last question and work backwards to 20, and then do 16 - 20.

I used to think you all were crazy, but now I feel like I'm becoming one of you...

Haha, it happens gradually

heebie-jeebies

New

Post by heebie-jeebies » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:06 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:I do 1 - 15, skip to the last question and work backwards to 20, and then do 16 - 20.
I do all the primes up to 23, then work backwards on the even numbered questions and when I get to 4, I reverse direction again and knock out the odd numbered questions. Call me crazy, if you wish, but it works for me.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:01 am

Just took my daily LR section and scored -2. Last 2 questions I answered (9 and 10) I made some really careless reading mistakes, no real excuse considering I had 5 minutes to spare. Still, -2 isn't bad considering before it was basically the best I could expect so I'm really happy about the over-night gains I'm seeing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TylerJonesMPLS

New

Post by TylerJonesMPLS » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:54 am

Everyone should expect to spend more time on the questions at the end of an LR than the questions at the beginning. The harder questions are more frequent at the end of the section, and in the last five questions there are usually at least 2 that are as difficult as any questions before. Of course, this varies. But, if you look at SuperPrep LRs, you will see that there are more 5s (most difficult questions according to the LSAC) than in any other part of the LR. So why does the LSAC put the hardest questions at the end? They are hoping you will be mentally fatigued by the time that you get to the hardest questions.

So why not foil the LSAC's evil plan by doing the LR section backwards, and doing the hardest questions when you are fresh. Then, when you are feeling tired and are more likely to make careless mistakes, you are answering the easier questions.

I've tried this and it worked well for me.

But ONLY do it if you know all the question types well, and if you feel you have mastered them all, and if you have a good sense of timing, and if you have practiced bubbling in backwards.

(It's not a bad idea to practice bubbling in no matter what order you do the questions in. Really. I know someone who had his heart set on Yale, but he misbubbled a whole section. He retook the LSAT and did really well, and he wrote to Yale and all the other schools he was applying to and explained the mistake. But Yale still averaged his score, and he didn't get in. He's a law professor now, but he is still bitter about not getting accepted by Yale.)

alexg89

New

Post by alexg89 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:38 pm

I think one of the most important aspects of preparing for the LSAT is building mental stamina. I think you should be able to do them from question one to the last (in sequential order) without losing focus otherwise you really haven't trained yourself to conquer a 5 section test. Although of course some people will do better when altering their strategy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”