how do you guys focus? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawquestions1

New

how do you guys focus?

Post by lawquestions1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:43 pm

Y'all. I can't even... Anyways...
I am having the hardest time concentrating and I suspect is one of the main reasons why my scores are stagnant because when I go over the missed questions, it's usually because I haven't read and understood it thoroughly or skipped a word.
I need to do well on my Logical Reasoning (right now I'm getting -0 to -6) to reach my target score but the lack of concentration is hindering this.
How do you guys focus?
I am so close and I can't lose steam just yet!

Systematic1

Bronze

Re: how do you guys focus?

Post by Systematic1 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:47 pm

wild salmon oil capsules. not joking

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:05 pm

Systematic1 wrote:wild salmon oil capsules. not joking
Yeah? How soon did you notice a difference?

I also just read in this month's Real Simple that exercise, plenty of sleep, and blueberries all seem to help with memorization and focus.

Also, if you have a really demanding job or course load right now, you may need to cut yourself some slack on week nights and save PTs and long study sessions for the weekends when you're more rested. Hang tough!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:18 pm

OTC sheeit.

I also take fish oil daily and run. It has helped.

Betharl

Bronze

Post by Betharl » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:32 pm

I took something called clearshot concentrate. Basically an energy/caffeine stimulant mainly used by lifters. Worked better for focus and energy than anything else I've tried. That said, one of it's key ingredients (1,3 Dimethylamylamine) was just banned by the FDA. So.... yeah...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Dat NZT

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Systematic1 wrote:wild salmon oil capsules. not joking
This ^ or some other brand/version of omega-3 rich fish oil or foods help keep the brain working for better cognition and other mental and health purposes but not really for focus/keeping focused/not getting distracted and energy level problems.

For a focus/energy/endurance issue, try some mild cardio (treadmill, bike ride, jog) exercise a few times a week, plus a good sleep wake cycle, good nutrition, vitamins (B-complex plus a multivitamin) and not consuming huge amounts of caffeine or other stimulants everyday for energy.

If it is possibly a real case of an ADD/ADHD issue you'd know by now from experience with the same troubles during the time going through HS and college classes. If this has been a problem for many previous years in academics and other life things, find and consult with an experienced qualified doctor that specializes in treating the conditions. It could just be anxiety due to the pressure from how important the score you achieve on the LSAT is for admissions, life stress with whatever is going on with you currently, not enough sleep, a combination of several of the above or something totally different.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:41 pm

I too am looking for better concentration and have been thinking about fish oil. When do you guys take it (morning,afternoon,night?) and how many?

ruhl88

New

Post by ruhl88 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 pm

I think of the emails Cooley and Florida Coastal send me, forreal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:23 pm

If you're unable to focus, the material probably doesn't interest you. You should try to find something about the material that interests you, so you can focus.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:25 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:I too am looking for better concentration and have been thinking about fish oil. When do you guys take it (morning,afternoon,night?) and how many?
I'd say 3,000 mg per day. I take 1 in the morning, one at lunch, and one at night. I also eat a lot of fish.

TERS

Bronze

Post by TERS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:30 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
LionelHutzJD wrote:I too am looking for better concentration and have been thinking about fish oil. When do you guys take it (morning,afternoon,night?) and how many?
I'd say 3,000 mg per day. I take 1 in the morning, one at lunch, and one at night. I also eat a lot of fish.
You're taking three omega 3s per day and you eat a lot of fish already?

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:32 pm

TERS wrote:
nmop_apisdn wrote:
You're taking three omega 3s per day and you eat a lot of fish already?
Yeah but I have dat mad concentration.

Seriously, though. Your body can only absorb a few hundred mg of it at a time, and the capsules normally contain around 1000 mg each. So in order to take in around 1000 mg per day, you should be taking a few a day.

And I eat fish about twice a week. When I said "a lot", I lied. But it's still "a lot" by most people's standards.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TERS

Bronze

Post by TERS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:35 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:And I eat fish about twice a week. When I said "a lot", I lied. But it's still "a lot" by most people's standards.
True

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 pm

When per day doesn't matter much, but you should take it with food, before or while you eat the food at semi regular intervals.

Since it comes in gel caps, don't bite them open before swallowing unless you want to have and be burping fish breath for a while.

How many a day depends on the strength you get, but it's not something you can get into OD trouble with even if you go nuts and swallow a bunch of them at once unless you have a fish allergy.

Just go to a Rite-Aid or CVS if there are any near you, check out the shelves to find the best deal for the strongest ones that are on special. I've got the 1000mg/300mg of omega-3 ones they keep putting on a two for one deal.

Where I live Rite-Aid typically has a buy one get one free or half off deal for some particular brand all the time and so does the CVS.

It's good stuff for the brain/cognition and other health things, but heed my warning about taking it right BEFORE or while you eat food and also not biting open the gel capsule unless you want to experience really nasty fishy taste and have fish breath and burps for many hours that no amount of Altoids, toothpaste or mouthwash will take away!

I made the mistake of biting one open once out of curiosity to see what the fluid tasted like. It was a bad move. Brushed my teeth at least five times and could still taste it and kept burping and tasting it for many hours. Putting food on top of it in your tummy is the pro tip to get it absorbed and down the pipes!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:08 pm

You guys also need to pay attention to where that omega-3 oil is coming from.

It can come from sardines, tuna, and salmon, amongst other sources.

From the research I've done, the best and purest fish oil comes from Wild Alaskan Salmon, which is available at your local Trader Joes in the supplements aisle.

And yes, the fishy repeat (when you burp and taste fish) happens, even without chewing them because the capsule dissolves as it travels through your digestive tract. Don't be a wuss and get used to it. It only lasts for a few seconds, anyway.

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:20 pm

If someone were, maybe, a sufferer of selfish intolerance (let's just say), and took a fish oil supplement, would there be any, oh, I don't know, concern that she'd vomit in public from some sort of bottom feeder being mixed into the oil?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

And seriously, it is that bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 pm

Stop considering magic pills

ninetails

New

Post by ninetails » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:25 pm

Last edited by ninetails on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:28 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:If someone were, maybe, a sufferer of selfish intolerance (let's just say), and took a fish oil supplement, would there be any, oh, I don't know, concern that she'd vomit in public from some sort of bottom feeder being mixed into the oil?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

And seriously, it is that bad.
No. As long as it is a decent brand and you put food on top of it, there is nothing to worry about. Just don't bite open the gel cap or take it on an empty tummy without food right after taking it and it will be fine with no trouble.

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Br3v wrote:Stop considering magic pills
I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET.

But seriously, I've been considering taking these anyway. I think omega-3s are supposed to be good for wimmenz anyway. And popping a pill is easier than exercising, amirite?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:

But seriously, I've been considering taking these anyway. I think omega-3s are supposed to be good for wimmenz anyway. And popping a pill is easier than exercising, amirite?
They're good for you for plenty of reasons, including the health of your heart. You should be taking them if you aren't already.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:42 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:

They're good for you for plenty of reasons, including the health of your heart. You should be taking them if you aren't already.
Yup. All of the current octogenarians and all of the brilliant minds of the past owe their mental and physical stamina to fish oil. :roll:

MikeTZ

New

Post by MikeTZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Take it one at a time. Forget everything else thats going at the time

UVA Cavalier

New

Post by UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Turn your phone off, don't try and study with your friends

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.