calling all lefties Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Bronze

calling all lefties

Post by 05062014 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:15 am

Hey,

What kind of accommodation's should one expect if they have the exceptional ability of only writing with the left hand? I find it to be pretty cool that LSAC even considers accommodation's for left-handedness. Would they give me two desks? That would be nice. Maybe separate me from the herd to take the exam in solitude -- even better?

Anyone know exactly what I can expect? Thank you in advance and happy studying.

Off to get stitches on my inferior right hand for trying to fix my AC on my own!
:oops:

Paraflam

Bronze

Re: calling all lefties

Post by Paraflam » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:24 am

I didn't get any different treatment at my test center. We all sat at long tables with an empty chair in between each person, though, so we all had plenty of room. I presume they ask if you're a lefty so that if your test center uses those shitty flip-up chair/desk combo things that are usually made for righties, they can make sure they have enough left-handed ones for people that need them. But no, you won't get to take the test off in a quiet secluded corner by yourself or anything like that.

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:56 am

I noticed on the sheet where they had assigned seats that my name had a 'L'
next to it. Like para I was in a room with long tables so it didn't really matter,
my first administration we had the flip up desks which were literally 4 inches wide.
I protested and we got a room change, but even then I was at lefty desk in the first room.

So they do take it into account, but no special treatment otherwise.

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:57 pm

I visited my testing room the other day and it has classroom desks. Should I expect a lefty one? My experience in UG has been that the righty desks are superior while the lefty ones would be clutch if they were not hand-me-downs from half a century ago. LSAC says they make no guarantee's on accommodations tho. I guess I will just have to wait and see I think.

sama

New

Post by sama » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:52 pm

Try getting Southwestern as your facility. They provide a big table, not just a desk, to each student. So right or left, you'll be very comfortable. Just double check that this hasn't changed

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Malakai

Bronze

Post by Malakai » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:57 am

abdistotle wrote:Hey,

What kind of accommodation's should one expect if they have the exceptional ability of only writing with the left hand? I find it to be pretty cool that LSAC even considers accommodation's for left-handedness. Would they give me two desks? That would be nice. Maybe separate me from the herd to take the exam in solitude -- even better?

Off to get stitches on my inferior right hand for trying to fix my AC on my own!
They just put me on the furthest left side of the table. Southern CA tester. Plenty of room for me, as well as what appeared to be the right-handed people as well.

Malakai

Bronze

Post by Malakai » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:57 am

Malakai wrote:
abdistotle wrote:Hey,

They just put me on the furthest to the left-side of my table. Southern CA tester. Plenty of room for me, as well as what appeared to be for the right-handed people as well.

ninetails

New

Post by ninetails » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:59 am

Last edited by ninetails on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:35 am

ninetails wrote:
Hypothetically, if you were in a room with desks, wouldn't the seating be "every other" and everyone would have an extra desk for all their thangz? On real LSAT day does it work this way? Please say yes.

Also I think the only accommodation you can reasonably expect as a lefty is if you are in a lecture hall with right side folding desks, they will (try to) make sure you get seated at one of the special left side folding desks on the left outer aisle.

BUT FWIW if you are in a room where there would be a difference between left and right handed desks you have bigger problems than being a lefty.
There are limited testing centers near me in Upstate New York and I already booked a hotel near my testing site. I need to get into the actual room though to see what the setup of it is. It MAY be like a computer lab setting with whole rows of desks instead of shitty individual ones. I don't know what I will really do if its small desks.

@Expresso, you said you requested a room change on the spot and it was granted to you? How easy was that to pull off?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”