what does this sentence mean? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ahri

New

Re: what does this sentence mean?

Post by ahri » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Great discussion. If (while your breaking the rules) you wouldn't mind posting the other answer choices, I'd be curious to see them. This wording wouldn't have been my prephrased answer, but I suspect none of the other answer choices would be particularly tempting (Or this is a genuinely tricky flaw question) That said, Old tests are usually pretty strange to me. I do very well on LR, but tend to fly from experience, and the wording of this answer choice doesn't tempt me right away. It comes off like one of those "wtf jargon" wrong answer choices I love seeing: "The argument relies critically on assuming an assumption which is assumed to be presumed" :mrgreen:
the other choices were

a: greenwalls takes for granted that many customers have stopped using the equipment but are too embarrassed to admit it.

b: greenwall presumes without providing justification that most people are dishonest about their personal habits

c: faden presumes, without providing justification, that the more conclusive the evidence is for a claim, the less believable the claim becomes

e: greenwall ignores the possbility that some peoppel stopped using the equipment but were not embarrassed about it

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:38 pm

polobull wrote:
cc.celina wrote:No problem! Glad our teamwork could help you out :)
You and I could write a test prep book: you do all the complicated analysis and explaining and I, in the role of Bill Gates' quintessential lazy person, will follow up and interpret your work with brutal clarity. You'll get the credit, deservedly, and we'll both get rich 8)
Sounds like a solid business plan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahri, a word of encouragement - this test is from like 1999, right? In general, the new LR has much tighter logic than the old LR, and for that reason I found it a lot easier. The answer choices are less ambiguous. You have to pay more attention to small things, but it's a lot easier to be 100% confident in your answer. Good luck with your studying!

ahri

New

Post by ahri » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:40 am

yeah i chose B and i knew that wasn't right. but i just didn't see the 2nd flaw, so i resorted to what i knew, then kaplan didn't even identify the flaw and led me astray, but at the time, i felt like an idiot because the book said the answer choice points out the issue of lack of evidence doesn't mean the conclusion is false.

i kept re-reading the sentence and started to doubt everything i had ever read in my entire life was actually right or i was missing underlying but totally obvious meanings to text. of course this kind of thinking crushed my confidence, but again thank you.

i'm doing practice questions right now of older lsats to get the method down, and using the more recent ones for my timed practice. do you think around 2 months is enough time?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:54 am

ahri wrote:for a flaw question there was this answer choice....
The evidence for a claim has not been undermined unless that evidence has been proven false.

it's supposed to mean: no evidence means its false.

Gets this from where?

ahri

New

Post by ahri » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:04 am

Lawquacious wrote:
ahri wrote:for a flaw question there was this answer choice....
The evidence for a claim has not been undermined unless that evidence has been proven false.

it's supposed to mean: no evidence means its false.

Gets this from where?
it's from my kaplan book from their prep course. it really doesn't mean that, but the problem is they did a really bad job in explaining a problem. if you want i can take a picture of the text. it boggles my mind why they said to look for that fallacyand that the answer choice outlines this unwarranted assumption.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:12 am

Ahh.. got it, no, cool. Good luck with prep

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:15 pm

ahri wrote: it's from my kaplan book from their prep course. it really doesn't mean that, but the problem is they did a really bad job in explaining a problem. if you want i can take a picture of the text. it boggles my mind why they said to look for that fallacyand that the answer choice outlines this unwarranted assumption.
Kaplan sucks in general, ahri.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Nova wrote:
ahri wrote: it's from my kaplan book from their prep course. it really doesn't mean that, but the problem is they did a really bad job in explaining a problem. if you want i can take a picture of the text. it boggles my mind why they said to look for that fallacyand that the answer choice outlines this unwarranted assumption.
Kaplan sucks in general, ahri.
+1

The Manhattan forums were generally more useful to me than the Kaplan explanations during my prep, you may want to check them out for difficult questions if you haven't been already.

ahri

New

Post by ahri » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:56 am

i'm starting to get kaplan sucks is a popular sentiment around here. yeah the question was considered by kaplan a 2 star out of 4, so you could see why i felt pretty dumb for being unable to understand their explanation. i used the power score books for prep, and even those had some incomplete explanations which i could list because i mull over problems, even when i can use process of elimination to get to the right answer, just to build confidence.

the one thing i lack right now is the conviction in putting my answer down for some reason. i feel like if i do enough problems this would subside but when i can't even understand the explanation (even though i find out it's wrong) i feel like crap. this test will wear me down before i come out better from it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”