Powerscore's anti-grid tirade. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Elizabeth N

New

Powerscore's anti-grid tirade.

Post by Elizabeth N » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi guys and dolls,

In Powerscore's LGB, there are a convincing two pages (p. 86-87) about why using the grid system to answer games question is a flawed approach. Among the reasons cited is that this system breaks down when it comes to certain questions. As for instance with advanced linear games featuring vertical components.

Since I suck ass at logic games, I resolved to try Velocity's online logic games course on top of LGB. I've heard great things about Dave on TLS. The trouble is that I'm almost certain Dave uses the grid approach to games and I'm afraid not to heed Powerscore's advice. :?

Can someone attest to Dave's method? Does he use grids to answer linear, advanced linear and grouping games? Is his pure sequencing system similar to LGB?
How about you proficient logic gamers...do you use the grid system to answer questions?

Thanks!
Last edited by Elizabeth N on Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdeebs

Bronze

Re: Powerscore's anti-grid tirade.

Post by bdeebs » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:51 pm

For my case, the LGB was wrong about this concept. I can't imagine doing LG without the grid. I think it all depends on your tendencies as a test taker. As for their arguments on pg 87, here are my thoughts:

1. If June's test is indicative of an overall shift in the layout of LG, this will no longer be an issue at all. Even with the old way, this was an issue on only 1 game for me in the last 10-15 tests.

2. The "main setup" is a part of the grid in Dave's course, so this is false. In fact, I find the grid even more efficient in this regard because your main setup is so close to the hypotheticals you'll be drawing that it takes much less brainpower to process (IMO).

3. He doesn't use the grid for games that contain vertical components.

4. I just fail to see how writing directly next to the question is more efficient. If anything, I would believe it to be less efficeint because you'd have to draw out spaces for each variable, whereas with the grid system you draw out the whole thing at one time and merely draw a line through the grid to differentiate between questions.

I'm grateful to powerscore for the introduction to LG, but in the end, my techniques were a combination of the things I liked best from Velocity and 7sage. My speed plateaued at an unacceptable rate until I stopped using a lot of the powerscore techniques. They may have been more effective in the past, but with the way the current games work, I find a lot of what they preach to be inefficient. It may just be me, but that's my 2cents.

Edit: As for your questions, he has a bit of a different games type breakdown, but he uses grids almost exclusively on linear games and most grouping games. For certain mixed games he does not use it. Just check out his free videos for logic games and for the June 2007 test. You'll get a pretty good feel for his method.

Elizabeth N

New

Post by Elizabeth N » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks for that response! :)

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:17 am

Try them both, see which one works for you. I've never learned or used the grid, and have never needed to, and I'm sure some people couldn't do a game without it. IF LGB didn't help, than you def might want to try something new, 'cause LGB is fantastic and works for most people (especially those who work through it a couple of time and internalize the method). You have time to try the grid, though.

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:11 am

bdeebs wrote:For my case, the LGB was wrong about this concept. I can't imagine doing LG without the grid. I think it all depends on your tendencies as a test taker. As for their arguments on pg 87, here are my thoughts:

1. If June's test is indicative of an overall shift in the layout of LG, this will no longer be an issue at all. Even with the old way, this was an issue on only 1 game for me in the last 10-15 tests.

2. The "main setup" is a part of the grid in Dave's course, so this is false. In fact, I find the grid even more efficient in this regard because your main setup is so close to the hypotheticals you'll be drawing that it takes much less brainpower to process (IMO).

3. He doesn't use the grid for games that contain vertical components.

4. I just fail to see how writing directly next to the question is more efficient. If anything, I would believe it to be less efficeint because you'd have to draw out spaces for each variable, whereas with the grid system you draw out the whole thing at one time and merely draw a line through the grid to differentiate between questions.

I'm grateful to powerscore for the introduction to LG, but in the end, my techniques were a combination of the things I liked best from Velocity and 7sage. My speed plateaued at an unacceptable rate until I stopped using a lot of the powerscore techniques. They may have been more effective in the past, but with the way the current games work, I find a lot of what they preach to be inefficient. It may just be me, but that's my 2cents.

Edit: As for your questions, he has a bit of a different games type breakdown, but he uses grids almost exclusively on linear games and most grouping games. For certain mixed games he does not use it. Just check out his free videos for logic games and for the June 2007 test. You'll get a pretty good feel for his method.

i agree completely with the above, except for the 7sage part -- I have never tried those.

(see my post history if you want to read more from a powerscore --> velocity convert. I discussed it in another thread on lg from a few days ago.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”