A bit paradoxical? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

A bit paradoxical?

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:57 am

I am not sure if you guys noticed this or not. But it seems that this forum is filled with people with sub-standard GPA, but yet, phenomenal LSAT scores?
Can we conclude that GPA/LSAT share no correlation? or do people with lower GPA feel more motivated to study?

Edit:
The obvious answer is the latter, but then my question is, what drove them(you) to care? What caused the shift in thinking? Because lets be honest, getting a great GPA in school is not difficult. I am sure if you guys put in the same effort your LSAT as for your school work, on a consistent basis, almost everyone here would be 3.9+ (or 3.8, w.e, not really at the heart of the message). I understand there are rare cases, that you are in one of those famous grade deflation schools/majors, but thats not really the point here.

Edit 2:
I was hoping for people to share stories on how/what that caused them to "grow up", but it has now turned into a grade inflation/deflation debate. My bad.
Last edited by lawschool2014hopeful on Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 8 times in total.

dowu

Platinum

Re: A bit paradoxical?

Post by dowu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:00 pm

jimmierock wrote:I am not sure if you guys noticed this or not. But it seems that this forum is filled with people with sub-standard GPA, but yet, phenomenal LSAT scores?
Can we conclude that GPA/LSAT share no correlation? or do people with crap GPA feel more motivated to study?
IDK where you've been hanging out but there are plenty of people on this forum who have great GPAs and decent LSATs.

Also, yes, people on here with crap GPAs (myself included) feel more obligated/motivated to study - that should be obvious.
Last edited by dowu on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:00 pm

jimmierock wrote:I am not sure if you guys noticed this or not. But it seems that this forum is filled with people with sub-standard GPA, but yet, phenomenal LSAT scores?
Can we conclude that GPA/LSAT share no correlation? or do people with crap GPA feel more motivated to study?
The latter.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:06 pm

just because you fucked off in college doesn't mean you aren't smart or capable of a high LSAT.

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
just because you fucked off in college doesn't mean you aren't smart or capable of a high LSAT.
I never made that statement, I am just curious to what drove you guys suddenly to care I suppose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbates14

New

Post by jbates14 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 pm

shits going to hit the fan on this one

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm

jbates14 wrote:shits going to hit the fan on this one
I dont meant to start trouble, just curious.

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:19 pm

jimmierock wrote:
jbates14 wrote:shits going to hit the fan on this one
I dont meant to start trouble, just curious.

DOESNT MATTER BRO!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Can we conclude that GPA/LSAT share no correlation? or do people with lower GPA feel more motivated to study?

Edit:
The obvious answer is the latter, but then my question is, what drove them(you) to care? What caused the shift in thinking? Because lets be honest, getting a great GPA in school is not difficult. I am sure if you guys put in the same effort your LSAT as for your school work, on a consistent basis, almost everyone here would be 3.9+
Studying for the LSAT was a lot less work than getting a 3.9 would have been in my majors.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbates14

New

Post by jbates14 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:33 pm

I know for myself, I realized I needed to give my all to the lsat so I could make up for my freshman year of slacking. Basically, the answer is that this test basically means the same as four years of schooling. So people with a high GPA and minimal effort given for an average lsat are basically the same as an average GPA and working your ass off for the lsat.

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:38 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:

Edit:
The obvious answer is the latter, but then my question is, what drove them(you) to care? What caused the shift in thinking? Because lets be honest, getting a great GPA in school is not difficult. I am sure if you guys put in the same effort your LSAT as for your school work, on a consistent basis, almost everyone here would be 3.9+
Studying for the LSAT was a lot less work than getting a 3.9 would have been in my majors.
I think that is more rare than often, e.g., exceptions being engineering, where class average is like F, or D to C at best.

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:42 pm

my gpa isn't great because when I was 18-21 i gave zero fucks. people grow up.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:my gpa isn't great because when I was 18-21 i gave zero fucks. people grow up.
+1.

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:45 pm

VasaVasori wrote:My GPA isn't terrible ( 3.8 )
GET FUCKED
Mr. Pancakes wrote:my gpa isn't great because when I was 18-21 i gave zero fucks. people grow up.
This

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:51 pm

jimmierock wrote:
shifty_eyed wrote:

Edit:
I think that is more rare than often, e.g., exceptions being engineering, where class average is like F, or D to C at best.
Eh, I think the amount of work I put into studying for the LSAT this time around would be equivalent to the amount of work needed to get an A in 2 medium-hard classes for one semester.

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JJJ123

New

Post by JJJ123 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:54 pm

OP, there are a variety of grading systems out there. Some schools are MUCH MUCH more difficult than others. I take challenging classes at a highly grade deflated school; I would actually have to sacrifice most of my social life and recreational activities to get a consistent 3.9 at my school. I am much better off, and am more healthy and balanced, now with a 3.7 than I would be with a 3.9. This is because I value social interaction, broader intellectual growth, and exercise over a higher numerical GPA... Also the LSAT is easier for some than it is for others, my diagnostic was in the high 170s and I know a plenty of people who are naturally good standardized test-takers.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:00 pm

NYC2012 wrote:
jimmierock wrote:Because lets be honest, getting a great GPA in school is not difficult.
Is this for real? If it was so easy, why doesn't everyone have a good GPA?

I JUST CAN'T with people
I'll back up JR's opinion with the qualification that it is easy to geta good grades in school IF you really want it. I think, at least for a majority of majors, your GPA is really just an indicator of effort. I'm probably no smarter than most of my friends at school, but I'd say I put in twice the amount of work as most of them do, if not more.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:15 pm

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 pm

I was hoping for people to share stories on how/what that caused them to "grow up", but it has now turned into a grade inflation/deflation debate. My bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:25 pm

jimmierock wrote:I think that is more rare than often, e.g., exceptions being engineering, where class average is like F, or D to C at best.
Well, there are more engineers on TLS than you might think. And yes, many of us are splitters.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
jimmierock wrote:I think that is more rare than often, e.g., exceptions being engineering, where class average is like F, or D to C at best.
Well, there are more engineers on TLS than you might think. And yes, many of us are splitters.
Also, that's just not accurate. The raw scores on engineering tests are really low, but there's almost always a big curve and by the final grades 10-15% or whatever, sometimes more, will end up with A's. It's not like all engineers have 2.7 GPAs.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:36 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Also, that's just not accurate. The raw scores on engineering tests are really low, but there's almost always a big curve and by the final grades 10-15% or whatever, sometimes more, will end up with A's. It's not like all engineers have 2.7 GPAs.
No curve at my school. (If everyone scored below an 80% or whatever, then the prof might make a 75% an A, but that's not technically a curve.)

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:40 pm

jimmierock wrote:Because lets be honest, getting a great GPA in school is not difficult. I am sure if you guys put in the same effort your LSAT as for your school work, on a consistent basis, almost everyone here would be 3.9+
Um, I'm not sure whether to fire up the ROFLcopter, sputter in disbelief, or envy the living shit out of what must have been your undergrad experience.

Aside from my wholehearted disagreement with such a sweeping generalization of a statement, you do pose a good question. Of course, the people who had less-than-stellar ugrad GPAs (whether through lack of effort or matriculation in a school or program that doesn't toss out A's just for showing up and doing the work) are definitely more inclined to bust their asses on the LSAT. A lot of us only firmly decide to pursue law school after graduation, at which point our LSAT scores are the only significant variable we can actually do something to improve. And, of course, busting one's ass for a few months is much more manageable than doing the same for four solid years, as you suggested we should have done. Comparing the effort and approach of studying for the LSAT to that of studying in college is beyond apples-and-oranges. It's like apples-and-goddamn Klingons. (I'm not even going to touch on the glaringly obvious issue of people who had to work during college or faced any of life's other myriad complications that would have made all-day, every-day studying impracticable.)

So, short answer: yes, people with low(er) GPAs probably do tend to pull out all the stops on the LSAT for the simple fact that they must, if a top law school is what they're after. Asking what "drove them to care", and thereby implying that they gave zero fucks about anything before the LSAT, is both utterly inane and the height of douchebaggery. (I'm sure that wasn't your intention, but still. I didn't intend to sprain my ankle this morning, but I'm sitting here in pain all the same.)

Hope that helps answer your question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”