Should I Cancel? Please HELP!!! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
emperorsony

New

Should I Cancel? Please HELP!!!

Post by emperorsony » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi guys, I am a second time test taker who just got done with the June 2012 LSAT. I am a traditional splitter (high LSAT low GPA ...3.6) with a 171 on my first time test. However, I'm really hoping to go to UChicago so I wanted to maximize my chances of getting in without having to resort to a waitlist or LOCI.

However, as you guys probably know the June test was not what everyone expected and the same went for me. I was scoring in the range of 173-179 for my practice tests and I have been practicing since last december. But as you guys may have noticed, this administration of the test was very strange. I did not walk out feeling extremely confident, that said, I did not totally bomb the test.

I had RC-LG-LR-LG-LR and while both my LG and first LR seemed fine (easier than PT level), the RC and the second LR (the one with the ninja) really threw me off. I barely finished RC with about 4 or 5 questions that I spent about 8 minutes on and LR was pretty much the same, about 4 or 5 questions that I had to go back to and really dig deep for.

I want your opinions on whether I should cancel or just wait until my scores come out. I realize all this anxiety can be a result of post-test jitters, but I'm sure you guys know how much worse my application would look like if I were to have a lower retake score. PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS! Thank you very much

and sorry for the long post, I am rambling a bit =)

Nammertat

Silver

Re: Should I Cancel? Please HELP!!!

Post by Nammertat » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 pm

There is very little room for error to improve on a 171... That being said, if it were only RC and an args section that felt off, you need to figure out how many you reasonably missed.

How many args / rc points have you been dropping on average, and assume these sections to be a point or two worse than that. If you're still projecting a 173+ on a -11 curve, keep your score. If not, cancel it and apply with your 171.

inthebeginning

New

Post by inthebeginning » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:56 pm

171/3.6 is considered splitter?

Obviously you don't cancel here, it's clear from the way you wrote the post you know that too.

emperorsony

New

Post by emperorsony » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:06 pm

On average, RC is about a -3 to -4 while args have been from anywhere -0 to -3.

I was really just mind boggled on the RC, the questions were very vague and ambiguous compared to the PTs I've been taking

emperorsony

New

Post by emperorsony » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:08 pm

LG has consistently been -0. Wow, I'm really freaking out here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emperorsony

New

Post by emperorsony » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Nammertat wrote:There is very little room for error to improve on a 171... That being said, if it were only RC and an args section that felt off, you need to figure out how many you reasonably missed.

How many args / rc points have you been dropping on average, and assume these sections to be a point or two worse than that. If you're still projecting a 173+ on a -11 curve, keep your score. If not, cancel it and apply with your 171.

You think the curve will be that generous? If it is -11 then I am a bit more confident than if it were the usual June LSAT curve

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:37 pm

emperorsony wrote:
Nammertat wrote:There is very little room for error to improve on a 171... That being said, if it were only RC and an args section that felt off, you need to figure out how many you reasonably missed.

You think the curve will be that generous? If it is -11 then I am a bit more confident than if it were the usual June LSAT curve
If you think those numbers allow you to be classified into "splitter" category then god help those that have much lower GPA's then that. I agree that there is a very low margin of error if you've already scored a 171, UChicago's median GPA/LSAT requirement for last year's enrollment cycle was 3.5 -3.79 and 169-173 which you fall comfortably in between. I don't think it makes sense to risk taking another LSAT to score a few points higher when there's just as good a chance that you perform worse than a 171. I wouldn't of even taken this June LSAT if I were you but I guess that's moot now. If you have strong softs then I think that should make the difference. Good luck to w.e you decide to do.

emperorsony

New

Post by emperorsony » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:02 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
emperorsony wrote:

If you think those numbers allow you to be classified into "splitter" category then god help those that have much lower GPA's then that. I agree that there is a very low margin of error if you've already scored a 171, UChicago's median GPA/LSAT requirement for last year's enrollment cycle was 3.5 -3.79 and 169-173 which you fall comfortably in between. I don't think it makes sense to risk taking another LSAT to score a few points higher when there's just as good a chance that you perform worse than a 171. I wouldn't of even taken this June LSAT if I were you but I guess that's moot now. If you have strong softs then I think that should make the difference. Good luck to w.e you decide to do.
It seems Chicago is paying a lot more attention to their GPA now, last year's class 25% was a 3.7 or something like that.

Harlyn

New

Post by Harlyn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:54 pm

Why should you cancel?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emperorsony

New

Post by emperorsony » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Harlyn wrote:Why should you cancel?
because i could risk getting a lower score than my previous test, hard to describe my feelings right now, but it seems like a few of the questions on the RC and 1 LR really threw off my estimates for the test

I may be freaking out too much right now, but I would still appreciate hearing your opinions

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 pm

I'm sorry to say, but a 171/3.6 is probably not going to cut it at Chi. If you want a better chance you shouldn't cancel. If you felt like you super bombed it cancel and retake in October but as of right now it's not like a lower score is going to get you dinged at UChi; it's your current stats.

nigeriansiberian

New

Post by nigeriansiberian » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:06 am

Last edited by nigeriansiberian on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

inthebeginning

New

Post by inthebeginning » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 am

If you look at chicago's website they say, "we will focus on the highest lsat score and report the highest score". Don't see any reason to cancel, your own assessment of how you did can be very inreliable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Chicago is only going to care about your highest score. You don't benefit in any substantial way from canceling, and it's possible that your self-assessment is excessively negative. Mine certainly was.

nigeriansiberian

New

Post by nigeriansiberian » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Last edited by nigeriansiberian on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexp1206

New

Post by Alexp1206 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:37 pm

Dont cancel unless you're POSITIVE that you scored below your 171. An example of this would be if you had to pure guess on the last 5-6 questions of a section, realized last minute that you mis-bubbled a column, etc.. It's very common to be unsure of your performance on an LSAT. This effect is usually mitigated because we tend to IMMEDIATELY grade and review our practice tests the second we finish them, thus skipping the 3 weeks of agony and second-guessing that follows an official administration.

This test counts as your 2nd attempt whether or not you cancel, meaning you only get one more shot either way. If you get a slightly lower score it wont really hurt you all that much, since most schools take (or at least emphasize) your highest score and you get a third attempt anyway. If you cancel and bomb your third attempt, you will be haunted by your cancellation forever.

chris9152

New

Post by chris9152 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:36 pm

emperorsony wrote:
Harlyn wrote:Why should you cancel?
because i could risk getting a lower score than my previous test, hard to describe my feelings right now, but it seems like a few of the questions on the RC and 1 LR really threw off my estimates for the test

I may be freaking out too much right now, but I would still appreciate hearing your opinions
You are freaking out too much right now. You already have the 171. That's a great score. If you score lower, how much lower could it possibly be? 170? 168? These are also really good, and also within the range you want. You were obviously prepared. Even in the worst case scenario, a 171 and a 150 won't kill you. You're already within the range to be considered for the schools you want to attend. Just attach an addendum if the June test doesn't come out the way you'd planned. And stop it with the "splitter" stuff. A 3.6 is a good GPA.

Honestly, judging from test-taker sentiment statistics I've seen on other recent tests which have been curved generously, we're going to be looking at a -12 to -14 curve on this one. I'm no expert, but I think even the latter is more likely here. I could be wrong. I hope I'm not. If there's a generous curve, you could very easily have beaten a 171. It's not worth having the "cancel" on your LSAC record.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chris9152

New

Post by chris9152 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 pm

Alexp1206 wrote:Dont cancel unless you're POSITIVE that you scored below your 171. An example of this would be if you had to pure guess on the last 5-6 questions of a section, realized last minute that you mis-bubbled a column, etc.. It's very common to be unsure of your performance on an LSAT. This effect is usually mitigated because we tend to IMMEDIATELY grade and review our practice tests the second we finish them, thus skipping the 3 weeks of agony and second-guessing that follows an official administration.

This test counts as your 2nd attempt whether or not you cancel, meaning you only get one more shot either way. If you get a slightly lower score it wont really hurt you all that much, since most schools take (or at least emphasize) your highest score and you get a third attempt anyway. If you cancel and bomb your third attempt, you will be haunted by your cancellation forever.
It's possible to skip 5-6 questions on a section and score well into the 170s. It all depends on the curve.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:42 pm

Having a lower score on your record won't hurt your chances at Chicago. Your current numbers are too low so it doesn't make any sense to cancel unless you REALLY think you bombed. Then just study for October.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”