How to interpret early PT Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Helicio

Bronze

How to interpret early PT

Post by Helicio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 pm

I'm out of the later PTs so I'll be taking PT 17 tomorrow. Given that this test is so dated, can I use this score to help predict what I will get Monday? JW.

Thanks guys,

Helicio

gaud

Platinum

Re: How to interpret early PT

Post by gaud » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:04 pm

I'd say no. You may be better off just retaking a more recent test, tbh.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:08 pm

Don't do this. Some of the early LRs are ridiculously difficult. It will just freak you out. I would review and practice tests between 55-65. If you are really familiar with the questions then shorten the time on your PTs to like 30 or 25 min.

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Sounds good, thanks once again for the advice.

I only have practice test 59 left. What if the rest of my study schedule is just: (1.) Drill and (2.) Take PT 59 Friday. Is that good? Or should I take PT 59 Saturday so it is fresh?

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

phillykid

New

Post by phillykid » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:07 pm

Helicio wrote:I only have practice test 59 left. What if the rest of my study schedule is just: (1.) Drill and (2.) Take PT 59 Friday. Is that good? Or should I take PT 59 Saturday so it is fresh?
I like this idea. I'm doing nothing til PT 65 on friday and then taking the wknd off. Let's do this!!

Helicio

Bronze

Post by Helicio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Max324 wrote:I see you've made up your mind, but I'll post this anyways for anyone else who has the same dilemma. Yes, PT 17 is a bit outdated. No, that should not dissuade you from taking it. I used PT 17 during my prep and encountered absolutely no problems with it.

It's well known that earlier tests tend to have more abstract language and more shell game answers. Ideally, someone would take an older PT early on in their prep, saving the most recent tests for the final weeks. However, even an LSAT from 1995 is considered a modern test, and has the same structure and format, tests the same skills, has (mostly) the same question types, and has a similar distribution of easy and difficult questions.

I can't speak to whether you, personally, would benefit more from retaking a more recent PT or taking a older PT fresh -- that depends on where your weak spots are. Perhaps someone who needed work on undetermined assignment games would find this PT very helpful. On the other hand, the RC on this test is, in my opinion, laughably easy.

Either way, PT 17 shouldn't pose any major problems should you decide to take it. You should not, however, rely on this score as an indicator of your test-day performance.

P.S. For the record, I still use PTs in the teens and twenties as experimentals, and find little to no variation in my LR scores between the older and more recent tests. I've experienced the most variation in RC and LG, by far.
Nice, I'll probs take PT 17 tomorrow then as well. I usually rape LR anyway so hopefully if LR is more difficult in 17 it won't throw me off. I'll take 59 on Friday and use that as an indicator.

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:41 am

The curve is a lot easier on the older tests, regardless of how you feel in the sections. The test taking populace has improved a lot since then, so a test that was -12 to get a 170 then is probably like -8 now.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:12 am

ONly reasoni would say NOT to take such an early PT this close to test day is because the tests aer pretty different as we all know from early back comapred to now (harder LR, easier Games, easier RC) and I think it would throuw you off if anything. At the same time it could be a nice ego booster.

I still say take newer this close though

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

naillsat

Bronze

Post by naillsat » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:03 am

Br3v wrote:ONly reasoni would say NOT to take such an early PT this close to test day is because the tests aer pretty different as we all know from early back comapred to now (harder LR, easier Games, easier RC) and I think it would throuw you off if anything. At the same time it could be a nice ego booster.

Recent tests have easier RC?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:04 am

naillsat wrote:
Br3v wrote:ONly reasoni would say NOT to take such an early PT this close to test day is because the tests aer pretty different as we all know from early back comapred to now (harder LR, easier Games, easier RC) and I think it would throuw you off if anything. At the same time it could be a nice ego booster.

Recent tests have easier RC?
No, in parenthesis refers to older tests

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”