Calling people who do well on the RC section... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
MissJenna

New

Calling people who do well on the RC section...

Post by MissJenna » Wed May 23, 2012 3:05 pm

I am planning on the June (and Oct) exam.

RC is a section I am hell bent on improving (even though LR should be since it IS my worst section) and I would really love to get the opinion of people who do well on this section or who have improved.

From now until October......this is my RC plan:

-I was going to read 1 book a week....(or 2 weeks) depending on how boring/long the book is.

-I was going to spend 2-3 hours on RC- 5 days a week doing 10 passages everyday. I did 4 hours a day for a straight week and I swear I thought I was going to die.....so I'm thinking this should be doable.

Even though timing is a HUGE problem for me...I was going to start timing in August.

Is this too much?? Too little??

I should add that I only be working 1-2 days a week. Literally from now until October, my schedule will only consist of studying and working out.

Still trying to figure out what the heck I'm gonna do w/LR!!!! :oops: :oops: :cry: :?:

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Calling people who do well on the RC section...

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:09 pm

What scores are you getting in RC sections? Timed or untimed? Can you get them all right if you do a section untimed, or do you still get questions wrong? How long do you spend reading the selection before moving on to the questions? After you're done reading it, could you look up from the page and tell someone basically what it was about?

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 pm

That seems like way too much. Don't burn yourself out. October is a ways away.

I got really good at reading comp by doing a passage or so a day, and then always remembering that all the answers to the questions can either be found or inferred from the info in the passage. Just familiarize yourself with the language and question types and shit.

Also, RC is usually super predictable, especially diversity passages which you hardly actually ever have to read.

I go perfect or -1 on RC usually, for what it's worth.

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Wed May 23, 2012 3:15 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:What scores are you getting in RC sections? Timed or untimed? Can you get them all right if you do a section untimed, or do you still get questions wrong? How long do you spend reading the selection before moving on to the questions? After you're done reading it, could you look up from the page and tell someone basically what it was about?

Honestly...it varies. It really depends on my 'mood' that day, how focused I am & the passage. I would say this is my 2nd best section though.

My scores really vary.....

Sometimes I have gotten them all right untimed and sometimes I don't. I wish I could give you a definitive answer but this is a section I'm not consistent on. I feel like I'm all over the place. But I have realized 1 thing about this section & that is if my mind is not completely clear of everything when I do a passage then it's over before I even start.

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Wed May 23, 2012 3:22 pm

tfleming09 wrote:That seems like way too much. Don't burn yourself out. October is a ways away.

I got really good at reading comp by doing a passage or so a day, and then always remembering that all the answers to the questions can either be found or inferred from the info in the passage. Just familiarize yourself with the language and question types and shit.

Also, RC is usually super predictable, especially diversity passages which you hardly actually ever have to read.

Oh I totally agree about the burn out thing.....I really slacked off this month (because I was wiped out!!) & I feel given that I'm taking it in June........I should've pushed myself more.

I know October is quite away but you know how fast time flies. I can't believe the June test is 18 days away!!!!

Plus...because I'm hardly going to be working....I figured I really should not make any excuses & come up with a feasible plan. I just don't know what would be considered too much or too little? You know what I mean??

Obviously I came to the conclusion that 4 hours of RC a day is too much for me. So it's like what now...should I try 3 hours a day?

Honestly...if it were up to me, I would only do 1 hour a day but I know that's not enough and I know I need to do more.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flem

Diamond

Post by flem » Wed May 23, 2012 3:24 pm

If you're not ready for the June test, don't take the June test.

LionelHutzJD

Silver

Post by LionelHutzJD » Wed May 23, 2012 4:54 pm

MissJenna wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:That seems like way too much. Don't burn yourself out. October is a ways away.

Oh I totally agree about the burn out thing.....I really slacked off this month (because I was wiped out!!) & I feel given that I'm taking it in June........I should've pushed myself more.

I know October is quite away but you know how fast time flies. I can't believe the June test is 18 days away!!!!

Plus...because I'm hardly going to be working....I figured I really should not make any excuses & come up with a feasible plan. I just don't know what would be considered too much or too little? You know what I mean??

Obviously I came to the conclusion that 4 hours of RC a day is too much for me. So it's like what now...should I try 3 hours a day?

Honestly...if it were up to me, I would only do 1 hour a day but I know that's not enough and I know I need to do more.

how bad do you want it bro? do 5 hours a day.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Wed May 23, 2012 5:16 pm

LionelHutzJD wrote:
MissJenna wrote:

Lmfao^^

Well the main thing that has helped me (forgot where I read this) is making sure to read the passages in 3mins or less. Just that little piece of advice helped me go from -10 to -5.

Rc is hard as fuck though and I think ill be stuck at -5-7 :( fuck you Rc

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Wed May 23, 2012 5:30 pm

bruss wrote:
Well the main thing that has helped me (forgot where I read this) is making sure to read the passages in 3mins or less. Just that little piece of advice helped me go from -10 to -5.

You will get better with time and practice. The passages are very intimidating at first, but after some time you realize that they really aren't that difficult, just some are pretty dry and boring. Honestly, I am by no means an RC guru. In fact, I usually get -3 or -4. However, I used to get -12 wrong or so. You need to develop a strategy that works for you. In my mind, what works the best, and since you have a lot of time until October would be to develop a very heavy notation method. Maybe for a while just underline things you think are important and than reflect back on if the things you were underlining were actually important. Also, go through the answers after you do the passage and see where you can find the answer in the passage. As tfleming noted, the answers are all in the passage. So, what you will begin to realize is that you should not spend too much time reading the passage and trying to truly memorize it, not only is this impossible but its just a waste of time and not very effective. I would recommend paying attention for the main point of the passage and how the passage as a whole deals with that. Read the passage for STRUCTURE not for CONTENT. You need to read the passage and know these couple of things... what is the main point of the passage, why did the author write it, and how does the author feel about the passage. It takes time, but it CAN be done. You can improve.

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Wed May 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Lol.....are you joking or serious??

I wish I could handle 5 hours a day. How can anyone??

LionelHutzJD wrote:
MissJenna wrote:

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Wed May 23, 2012 5:49 pm

After reading a passage, what are the most important questions do you think you should be able to answer without looking at the questions and going back to the passage?

Main Point, Author's Attitude, Organization of the passage, primary purpose....

princeR wrote:
bruss wrote:

You will get better with time and practice. The passages are very intimidating at first, but after some time you realize that they really aren't that difficult, just some are pretty dry and boring. Honestly, I am by no means an RC guru. In fact, I usually get -3 or -4. However, I used to get -12 wrong or so. You need to develop a strategy that works for you. In my mind, what works the best, and since you have a lot of time until October would be to develop a very heavy notation method. Maybe for a while just underline things you think are important and than reflect back on if the things you were underlining were actually important. Also, go through the answers after you do the passage and see where you can find the answer in the passage. As tfleming noted, the answers are all in the passage. So, what you will begin to realize is that you should not spend too much time reading the passage and trying to truly memorize it, not only is this impossible but its just a waste of time and not very effective. I would recommend paying attention for the main point of the passage and how the passage as a whole deals with that. Read the passage for STRUCTURE not for CONTENT. You need to read the passage and know these couple of things... what is the main point of the passage, why did the author write it, and how does the author feel about the passage. It takes time, but it CAN be done. You can improve.

Good luck!

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed May 23, 2012 5:50 pm

MissJenna wrote:Lol.....are you joking or serious??

Yeah, I couldn't either. Been going -2 to -3 in RC and I want to tighten that up before test day. I am only studying like 2-3 hours a day though.

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Wed May 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Oh I meant I can't do 5 hours of just RC a day. Studying...yes but not just RC. Though I wish I would.........

Lol @ the taylor pic!

shifty_eyed wrote:
MissJenna wrote:Lol.....are you joking or serious??

Yeah, I couldn't either. Been going -2 to -3 in RC and I want to tighten that up before test day. I am only studying like 2-3 hours a day though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Wed May 23, 2012 6:20 pm

I was perfect on all three of my LSATs for RC, and my strategies included : 1) speed reading the passage first and then glancing at most of the Q's, then going back and reading it slowly. 2) getting a feel for the passage and then adding a voice in my head that I thought would be appropriate for the author. 3) doing the fucking artsy fartsy one last because I always thought they were lame.

I didn't start off at -0. Probably -4 or so. Still it was always my best section as I started of (seriously) like -20 on LG.

bruss

Bronze

Post by bruss » Wed May 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:I was perfect on all three of my LSATs for RC, and my strategies included : 1) speed reading the passage first and then glancing at most of the Q's, then going back and reading it slowly. 2) getting a feel for the passage and then adding a voice in my head that I thought would be appropriate for the author. 3) doing the fucking artsy fartsy one last because I always thought they were lame.

I didn't start off at -0. Probably -4 or so. Still it was always my best section as I started of (seriously) like -20 on LG.
You son of a ....

But yeah dude that's amazing, I attempted that strategy a while ago,Rc fail.but for others who might want to attempt it I have a question. Do you mark up the passages in any kind of way?

rabbitrun

Bronze

Post by rabbitrun » Wed May 23, 2012 11:53 pm

MissJenna wrote:
RC is a section I am hell bent on improving (even though LR should be since it IS my worst section) and I would really love to get the opinion of people who do well on this section or who have improved.
What? NO! Go study for LR because there are twice as many and its a lot easier to improve on.

My only advice for RC is to figure out your appropriate level of note taking on RC. Do a couple RCs untimed w/out notes or underlining. As you answer the questions, underline where you are finding your answers so you can start figuring out what kinds of things to actively note as you are reading. Also, you should be under 8:45 (round down to 8 if you are not anal retentive) for each passage+Q and like someone else said, you should finish the reading in under 3-4 min or so.

togepi

Silver

Post by togepi » Thu May 24, 2012 12:00 am

When I first started, I went about -15 on RC. I was an engineering major and we hardly ever had to read anything for class. I haven't improved THAT much but right now I usually get about -5 to -7 on a decent day. The change for me came with reading actively and hunting for the thesis, ascriptions, tone sensitive words, underlining anytime they mention a difference or list items that they'll probably refer back to. When I first started I would kind of space out and waste a lot of time referring back to the passage. You just need to get into the right mindset about it.

You can pretend that these are important documents and you need to have a working knowledge of them for court

or

Pretend you're in jail and this is the first time you've been allowed to read something in years and regardless of the subject matter, the shit is interesting.

Also, I'd recommend reading a book on the side for pleasure. Not really novels, but nonfiction informative books. Something along the lines of Freakonomics or any of Malcolm Gladwell's books (Blink, The Tipping Point, Outliers). I usually read these on the shitter and before bed and noticed an increase just from that. Purely anecdotal, but reading a little everyday helped me at least.

Just make sure to read actively like they are interesting and become comfortable with the material. You'll start to see patterns and know what you'll be asked about later.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:03 am

3-4 minutes seems like an awful long time to take to read them. It's half a page! If you cut those down to 2 minutes, you have an extra 4-8 minutes to answer questions.

I have a weirdly visual memory, so I would skim the passage in <1 min, which would give me a good enough mental 'map' that I could locate key words in the relevant sentence/paragraph in just a second or two, read it more carefully, and answer the question. But I realize that's unusual.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu May 24, 2012 12:22 am

Try only giving yourself five minutes to do an RC passage, as if the test proctor called the five minute warning as you turned to the last one. You'll probably be surprised at how well you do.

Platinum

Post by 03152016 » Thu May 24, 2012 1:20 am

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Thu May 24, 2012 8:27 am

Max324 wrote:
rabbitrun wrote:
MissJenna wrote:
What? NO! Go study for LR because there are twice as many and its a lot easier to improve on.
Yup. If LR is your worst section, 3 hours a day on RC is overkill. By all means, put serious time into the section, and follow everyone's advice ITT. But unless you have super-stamina, I suspect that this study plan of yours will take too much time and energy away from LG and LR, and will end up costing you points.

I agree. My major issue with LG is timing but I feel like I could get that down by October. LR is a different story.

Oh goodness....I wish I had super stamina.....(any advice on how to get it??)....but yeah I hear you.

Preparing for the LSAT is the MAJOR reason I have completely revamped my diet and exercise. I will do anything to get more energy for this exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 am

Btw, thanks everyone for your advice. I'm going to try different approaches/strategies/tactics and see what works for me. Hopefully I can come up with something.

BearState

Bronze

Post by BearState » Thu May 24, 2012 9:37 am

Practicing reading semi-complicated articles may be a solid way to improve reading stamina.

As far as marking, I liked marking each paragraph (it helped my brain break the passage down logically into components) and also underlining important parts like inflections in argument (however, but, regardless), words that illustrate the author's tone or view, or even odd vocabulary words. If you can construct a basic roadmap/outline of the argument or thesis, it will help you focus on the right part for specific questions. I missed one question on RC, for what its worth.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Thu May 24, 2012 4:04 pm

MissJenna wrote:I am planning on the June (and Oct) exam.

-I was going to read 1 book a week....(or 2 weeks) depending on how boring/long the book is.

-I was going to spend 2-3 hours on RC- 5 days a week doing 10 passages everyday. I did 4 hours a day for a straight week and I swear I thought I was going to die.....so I'm thinking this should be doable.

Even though timing is a HUGE problem for me...I was going to start timing in August.

I should add that I only be working 1-2 days a week. Literally from now until October, my schedule will only consist of studying and working out.

Still trying to figure out what the heck I'm gonna do w/LR!!!! :oops: :oops: :cry: :?:
Are you saying that you will do 50 RC passages a week!? There aren't even enough tests to cover that. You really don't need to be so excessive with your studying. It is going to burn you out and if you don't review what exactly is leading you to make mistakes, it will all be for naught and you will run out of practice material.

MissJenna

New

Post by MissJenna » Thu May 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah.....I know. I wasn't even thinking that it would be 50 if I did that 5 days a week. For some reason, I thought it would be doable but I tried it for a week and I was beyond exhausted.

I'm going to aim for 20-25 passages a week. I think that should be fine. I swear it just doesn't feel like a whole lot but I guess it's quality and not quantity.

sanjola wrote:
MissJenna wrote:I am planning on the June (and Oct) exam.

Are you saying that you will do 50 RC passages a week!? There aren't even enough tests to cover that. You really don't need to be so excessive with your studying. It is going to burn you out and if you don't review what exactly is leading you to make mistakes, it will all be for naught and you will run out of practice material.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”