Dip in PT score Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Dip in PT score

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Wed May 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Hey everyone, so my last few PTs have gone as follows: 167, 167, 169, 178, 171, 169, 170 and then today.....163.

I'm not panicking, there's obviously still time before June and I have done well on my others, but does anyone have any possible explanations? I felt like I was trying to go too fast during the test, which lead to a lack of understanding and consequentially, rushing. This was especially true in RC, which was my 5th. (I have been doing fully, 5-sectioned tests, under test-day conditions if that helps). I just want to get back on the right track in the 170s again. Thanks a lot for your help!

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Re: Dip in PT score

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 16, 2012 5:26 pm

could it be that the last test that you took was a newer test?
Older tests are a little easier for some.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed May 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Are you burning out? take it easy!! going from 178 to 163 is very :? :? :?: :?:

Whatever the reason, just make sure that you learn from every mistake you made during that 163.

AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Wed May 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:could it be that the last test that you took was a newer test?
I started initially with PT 44, and the one I took today was #52, so maybe? But is the difference between 51 and 52 really that much more challenging?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed May 16, 2012 5:30 pm

52 is definitly a bitch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Wed May 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Nova wrote:Are you burning out? take it easy!! going from 178 to 163 is very :? :? :?: :?:

Whatever the reason, just make sure that you learn from every mistake you made during that 163.
I am starting to think so; I've been going at it pretty non-stop for a few weeks or so. I think I'll take a day or two off and then come back to it with a fresher, less-frustrated mind haha

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 16, 2012 5:31 pm

AbbeyRoadLaw wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:could it be that the last test that you took was a newer test?
I started initially with PT 44, and the one I took today was #52, so maybe? But is the difference between 51 and 52 really that much more challenging?
52 on is where the tests got trickier for me.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Wed May 16, 2012 5:33 pm

53 was worse for me than 52. and 57 was worse than 53.

jgotz1118009

New

Post by jgotz1118009 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:51 pm

I also am having the same issue, except with slightly later PT's (50-60) ... Also, like yourself, my weakest is RC. oddly enough, whats contributing to my inconsistent score (which is currently ranging anywhere from low 160's <not good in my particular circumstance, though this is not to demean the score itself> to the high-mid 170's ... my median is about a 173) is actually my LR sections. i've had my highs and lows with LR over the past few months, but recently ive been pacing myself much more aggressively, and while for the most part my accuracy has not been sacrificed, i would say out of every 5 tests i do (roughly), ill go from -1 on LR to -6 ..... major reality check. the only advice i can offer is, identify what was unique to the circumstances in which you performed well, and what was different about the times you did poorly. and by the way, it is DEFINITELY true that the tests (particularly LR and RC) get MUCH more difficult post PT 50... that being said, you should ALWAYS be going over your mistakes ... Why did you pick the wrong answer ?Why is the right answer better ? etc. Do this every day until the exam, and also, spend at least double the amount of time you spend testing on going over missed problems. do this and you will climb the mountain faster than you ever thought possible ... best of luck . you (or, i should say, "we") can do it ! good luck bud

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Wed May 16, 2012 6:05 pm

The test is different from 52 on.

AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Wed May 16, 2012 6:35 pm

jgotz1118009 wrote:I also am having the same issue, except with slightly later PT's (50-60) ... Also, like yourself, my weakest is RC. oddly enough, whats contributing to my inconsistent score (which is currently ranging anywhere from low 160's <not good in my particular circumstance, though this is not to demean the score itself> to the high-mid 170's ... my median is about a 173) is actually my LR sections. i've had my highs and lows with LR over the past few months, but recently ive been pacing myself much more aggressively, and while for the most part my accuracy has not been sacrificed, i would say out of every 5 tests i do (roughly), ill go from -1 on LR to -6 ..... major reality check. the only advice i can offer is, identify what was unique to the circumstances in which you performed well, and what was different about the times you did poorly. and by the way, it is DEFINITELY true that the tests (particularly LR and RC) get MUCH more difficult post PT 50... that being said, you should ALWAYS be going over your mistakes ... Why did you pick the wrong answer ?Why is the right answer better ? etc. Do this every day until the exam, and also, spend at least double the amount of time you spend testing on going over missed problems. do this and you will climb the mountain faster than you ever thought possible ... best of luck . you (or, i should say, "we") can do it ! good luck bud

Thank a lot, man, I appreciate it. I think I'm going to take tomorrow off and then go back at it the next day with renewed confidence and really attack going over the test to figure out where I tend to err. Thanks a lot

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 pm

Dips are normal. Review your mistakes and don't be discouraged. Time off (1-3 days) helps.

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:21 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Wed May 16, 2012 11:23 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! Taking tomorrow completely off; taking my mind off the test for a bit. Hopefully it works out and I get back into the 170s before test time with some confidence :)

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:40 pm

Glad you aren't worrying about it, anomalies happen though.

Just like your 178 came out of nowhere and while optimistic about it I'm sure you didn't all of a sudden say "Hey I'm PTing at 178". By the same train of thought just because you had a bad day doesn't mean you are suddenly PTing at 163.

Definitely go through every wrong answer on that test though more than you normally would, it will help you rest easier. Get back on the horse with another PT sooner rather than later too to help yourself move on. If you wait too long before taking another one you run the risk of dwelling on the poor score for too long.

AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Wed May 16, 2012 11:47 pm

2014 wrote:Glad you aren't worrying about it, anomalies happen though.

Just like your 178 came out of nowhere and while optimistic about it I'm sure you didn't all of a sudden say "Hey I'm PTing at 178". By the same train of thought just because you had a bad day doesn't mean you are suddenly PTing at 163.

Definitely go through every wrong answer on that test though more than you normally would, it will help you rest easier. Get back on the horse with another PT sooner rather than later too to help yourself move on. If you wait too long before taking another one you run the risk of dwelling on the poor score for too long.
Exactly. I definitely didn't say "Oh sweet, Im going to get a 178 for sure now," but it was nice to do well. I think one day off will definitely help, don't you? It's 27 days until test day, so while I cant afford to take like 5 days in a row off, I think a 24 hour break will do me some good.

Friday I can go back over the test feeling a bit rejuvenated, and then take a PT on Saturday. How does that sound?

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:21 am

AbbeyRoadLaw wrote:
2014 wrote:Glad you aren't worrying about it, anomalies happen though.

Exactly. I definitely didn't say "Oh sweet, Im going to get a 178 for sure now," but it was nice to do well. I think one day off will definitely help, don't you? It's 27 days until test day, so while I cant afford to take like 5 days in a row off, I think a 24 hour break will do me some good.

Friday I can go back over the test feeling a bit rejuvenated, and then take a PT on Saturday. How does that sound?
That sounds reasonable, a day break is absolutely needed at times, I just meant don't let it turn into like a week without taking another PT. Whatever your schedule was before do your best to stick to it, the consistency will continue to give you confidence.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lederhosen

New

Post by lederhosen » Fri May 18, 2012 1:43 am

Last edited by lederhosen on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Fri May 18, 2012 1:04 pm

lederhosen wrote:Contrary to what a lot of people advise about burnout, I personally disagree just b/c of my personal experiences.

I get that score fluctuations happen, but serious dips can possibly be an indication of an area where you have weak fundamentals. Take some rest if you need it but don't completely write off these mishaps, I believe they are worth investigating or keeping an eye on.
I feel my fundamentals are strong, I just for whatever reason, do not rely on them (as much as i should) when burnt out/tired. So I feel there is some validity to the "burnt out" mentality as far as your argument goes.

Skyblaze

New

Post by Skyblaze » Fri May 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Just because its a good idea to go over the test carefully doesn't mean you shouldn't take a couple days off. Take a couple days off, get off TLS and go play outside.

AbbeyRoadLaw

Bronze

Post by AbbeyRoadLaw » Sun May 20, 2012 7:27 pm

Just finished PT #53 and got a 168. Definitely more encouraging than a 163, but I still made a couple of dumb errors. I felt good during the test, which is great, but I'm still hoping I can get back into the 170s on PT #54, which I'll do on Tuesday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”