Deposit paid at t14, retaking June Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
RoloTomassi

New

Deposit paid at t14, retaking June

Post by RoloTomassi » Mon May 07, 2012 1:25 am

The "retake" admonitions may have been meant for others... but they got to me. After putting down my deposit for a t14 at sticker, I decided I might as well give this test another shot and I registered for the June LSAT. I have not looked at the test since I took it in 2010. I plan to spend a fair amount of time studying until then. What does TLS think is the best way to go about this? --anyone else in a similar position should feel free to post here as well.

Details: Cycle went as expected. 169/3.8 non-URM
Based on practice scores I feel I should have done better than a 169. Test day my performance was -3 on each section. PT average was around -1 to -3 on each section.

A few questions:
What score warrants taking another year off? (I've been off for a year and I don't like what I'm doing but I could find something worthwhile to do with another year)

If I only improve one point to 170, would I be able to squeeze any more $$ out of the institution I've made my deposit to by saying I'm considering sitting it out if they don't cough up more? They were clear that the deposit is not a promise to attend and that they wouldn't be pissed if I backed out.

Any general thoughts? Thanks ppl!

RoloTomassi

New

Re: Deposit paid at t14, retaking June

Post by RoloTomassi » Mon May 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Some additional details:
Last time I studied for about 3.5 months
1. Read most of Copi&Cohen
2. Read LGB&LRB
3. In 10 weeks i took about 35 practice

I would take a PT and then go over wrong answers the next day, I think my main mistake in studying was to not go over wrong answers thoroughly enough.

humbugger

New

Post by humbugger » Mon May 07, 2012 9:56 pm

I'm in a somewhat similar situation to you, 3.9/161, accepted and deposited already, and retaking in June. For me, it's very unlikely I will get any money out of my school (they don't give out much in scholarships), but I have reduced tuition (being a veteran). Also I'm kinda old and don't want to wait a year.

I can't really help with your questions, but I'm curious myself if anyone has personal experience with improving an LSAT score so late in a cycle. In particular, I'm wondering if there is a chance of getting off the waitlist with money at a higher-ranked school.

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Mon May 07, 2012 9:58 pm

Everyone on this forum will tell you to retake. You have a 3.91, that is well above ANY schools 75th%. You realize if you were able to get that LSAT up to a 165, which is definitely doable you are now getting money at t-14, if you get up to a 170 you are a candidate for HYS? Just study your ass of. It will be worth it.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon May 07, 2012 10:00 pm

princeR wrote:Everyone on this forum will tell you to retake. You have a 3.91, that is well above ANY schools 75th%.
Not quite right. HYS and Chicago have higher 75ths. But I agree with your overall sentiment. OP Im retaking in June as well. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

princeR

Bronze

Post by princeR » Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
princeR wrote:Everyone on this forum will tell you to retake. You have a 3.91, that is well above ANY schools 75th%.
Not quite right. HYS and Chicago have higher 75ths. But I agree with your overall sentiment. OP Im retaking in June as well. Good luck.
lol, regardless, why waste 4 years of hard work in undergrad for a mediocre school. Those of us who don't have the high GPA aren't taking anything for granted and are willing to put in the work to make up for it, not sure why you would not do the same.

RETAKE.

^This is how I know I've been spending too much time on TLS.

chesterfan1230

Bronze

Post by chesterfan1230 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:14 pm

Last edited by chesterfan1230 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 07, 2012 11:08 pm

If you raise your LSAT above a particular law school's median LSAT score of matriculated students, then you should receive scholarship money.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon May 07, 2012 11:35 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:If you raise your LSAT above a particular law school's median LSAT score of matriculated students, then you should receive scholarship money.
When do schools not care? At any time before the first day of classes does it have the same effect?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon May 07, 2012 11:39 pm

That probably depends upon the school & upon funds available. Reporting of matriculated students' LSAT scores does not occur until after the new academic year has begun.

Fianna13

Bronze

Post by Fianna13 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 pm

3.9/170 is HYS candidate? I doubt it. unless you have amazing EC the maybe stanford, but those numbers alone aren't going to get you in H or Y.

RoloTomassi

New

Post by RoloTomassi » Tue May 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Started going through the LGB today, gonna work my way through it in the next couple days. Then I'll do the same with the LRB
After that I'm going to start PTing twice a week, off days will be used to review missed questions thoroughly, and to drill LG and LR.

Hope it all pays off

RoloTomassi

New

Post by RoloTomassi » Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm

A few questions: If I improve my score one or two points, will I be able to use the improved score to leverage more money out of the school I've paid my deposit to/ would it be wise to tell them right now that I intend to do this?

What are the opinions of people on this board as to what score would make it worth it to sit out this cycle and reapply next? (My current score is a 169)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RoloTomassi

New

Post by RoloTomassi » Mon May 14, 2012 10:11 pm

No one has any insight on this?

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Mon May 14, 2012 10:23 pm

I can't say anything as to whether a higher score would get you $ from the school you're deposited at. My guess is, if they have funds left (but that's a big if, most schools do run out at some point), they would be willing to give you $$. It depends on where your numbers are in relation to their medians, as well.

A 170/3.8 is solid for $$ in T-14 (I would argue the difference between a 169 and 170 is maybe the most consequential for people with good GPAs, because so many schools' medians are 170). Like, I would be shocked if you didn't get 50-60K somewhere, and at UVA/Duke/Cornell/NU/Georgetown it could be worth 60-75K (probably more at GULC at Cornell). If you put together a plan for the year off, I think it's totally worth it to sit out after even a 1-point improvement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”