LSAT takers/tutors/anyone with a pulse, please advise! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

What should this sorry sack of shit do?

Keep truckin', don't be a pussy!
39%
Take a 1-2 week break, man; chill the fuck out.
61%

Total votes: 18

Geetar Man

Silver

LSAT takers/tutors/anyone with a pulse, please advise!

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:42 am

Hey guys, I guess it has come down to this.

I've been studying since mid-October (say, more than 4 months but less than 5) until now, for the administration this June.

I have already busted through the LR and LG bibles. I also went through 1,000 logical reasoning questions in the Kaplan LR mastery book (I paid for the class, but stopped taking it a few weeks in, once I found TLS. I only paid $600, so it's not THAT huge of an issue, but I did get away with all of the real materials, but thats neither here nor there).

For LR: I finished the mastery book with no particular questions that were that difficult for me, as I went through 1,000 logical reasoning questions in the Kaplan LR mastery. I would only miss the hardest of questions (three-stars-4 stars) However, I would definitely feel as if I knew why the wrong answer choice was wrong, why the correct answer was the best answer, etc... So, I decided to keep a log of questions that I missed, and answered 5 questions each for the ones I missed/had trouble with.
For LG: I drilled them for a while. As a result, I started missing more LR once I neglected it during timed PTs. So I went back and started studying for LR again.
For RC: I drill pretty randomly it seems like. I've done a few passages in the Kaplan Mastery practice, but nothing too much for drilling, per se.

Basically, I did some un-timed prep and timed prep; its really a mix bag of the two. On to my PT scores.

My PT scores are all timed, some with experimental, most without. Here are the scores:

PT -- Date -- (LR1, LR2, LG, RC, EXP) -- Raw/Scaled Timed -- # Missed
36 -- 02/27/10 -- (LR1-14, LR2- 16, LG-15, RC-14, LG-17) -- 37/140 T -- -59 (KAPLAN DIAGNOSTIC)
A-- 10/08/11 -- (LR1-11, LR2-11, LG-13, RC-11, EXP-N/A) -- 55/148 T -- -46
41-- 10/15/11 -- (LR1-13, LR2-11, LG-10, RC-13, EXP-N/A) -- 54/148 T -- -47
19 -- 10/18/11 -- (LR1-9, LR2-13, LG-10, RC-13, EXP- N/A) -- 55/150 T -- -45
1 --10/28/11 -- (LR1-6, LR2-8, LG-3, RC-8, EXP- N/A) -- 66/156 T -- -25
19 --10/29/11 -- (LR1-7, LR2-5, LG-4, RC-10, EXP- N/A) -- 75/161 T -- -26
18 --11/01/11 -- (LR1-7 LR2-11, LG-9, RC-13, EXP-N/A) -- 61/154 T -- -40
17 -- 11/02/11 -- (LR1-11, LR2-10, LG-4, RC-14, EXP-N/A) -- 62/154 T -- -39
7 --11/06/11 -- (LR1-12, LR2-9, LG-9, RC-7, EXP-N/A) -- 60/152 T -- -37
23 -- 12/03/11 -- (LR1-7, LR2-6, LG-4, RC-11, EXP-N/A) -- 73/161 T -- -28
June07’ --12/11/11 -- (LR1-10, LR2-7, LG-7, RC-10, EXP-N/A) -- 66/153 T -- -34
49 --01/20/11 -- (LR1-4, LR2-11, LG-5, RC-10, EXP-N/A) -- 69/156 T -- -30
26 -- 01/30/11 -- (LR1-8, LR2-9, LG-2, RC-6, EXP-N/A) -- 76 /162 T -- -25
5 --02/03/11 -- (LR1-12, LR2-5, LG-3, RC- 12, EXP- N/A) -- 69/157 T -- -32
34 -- 03/18/12 -- (LR1-4, LR2 -5, RC-5, LG-9, EXP- N/A) -- 78/163 T -- -23
57 -- 03/25/12 -- (LR1-4, LR2-4, LG-8, RC-7, EXP- N/A) -- 78/162 T -- -23
52 -- 04/01/12 -- (LR1-4, LR2-11, LG-6, RC-16, RC-7) -- 63/153 T -- -37
56 -- 04/05/12 --(LR1-10, LR2-9, LG-2, RC-7, EXP-N/A) -- 72/158 T -- -28
42 --04/07/12 -- (LR1-11, LR2-10, LG-5, RC-10, EXP N/A) -- 65/154 T -- -36
38 -- 04/08/12 -- (LR1-3, LR2-5, LG-4, RC-13, EXP- N/A) -- 76/161 T -- -25
46 -- 04/11/12 -- (LR1-10, LR2-8, LG-3, RC-10, LR-3) --68/154 T -- -32

OH YEAH, My diagnostic was at Kaplan (timed and proctored). My second test was timed at home, so I like to consider the second score more indicative of my truly fresh (without all the nerves) score.

I also feel like this score chart is way off: http://www.alphascore.com/resources/lsa ... onversion/, because according to this chart my last test score would have put me at a 159. My scores would have thus all been higher than I marked them as. Is this due to the curve on each test?
I can't seem to figure out what's going wrong. I'd hate to believe that I'm burning out, but it's a possibility.
Oh, so my diagnosis is that my brain is just mush, since I've been studying almost every day since October (embarrassing, I know), for a few hours each day. I havent logged my hours, but I'd say in the neighborhood of around 300. However, I have taken a few days-week off for Vegas, Cali, etc... I will be taking off Coachella weekend 2 as well, which is 4/20,4/21,4/22, so this estimate is high.

My goal was to take a PT 4 times a week, but as you can see I have only started that recently.

Looking for some advice on what I should do. I feel like I am not burned out, as the material still seems fun to me. I do feel as if I am moving into the point of where I think its time for a decent 1-2 week break.
However, since the June test is right around the corner (58 days away), I'm stuck thinking I should just keep truckin'.

My goal is 165+, which would make me a splitter. I have not broken it yet, as you can see, but I can feel the 92 percentile (165) within my reach.
I need a 163+ to qualify for my dream school's 75th+ and 25th percentile, LSAT score and GPA, respectively. I'm also a MA URM, so I have a small boost that might help. However, I'm really focused on being competitive solely through numbers, that way any other help I get is extra.

If you have made it this far into the post, then I truly appreciate it! I would love to hear all the thoughts of fellow LSATers, since I truly am in a bind.
So I leave it up to you, TLS. What do you think I should do? Please vote and leave a corresponding comment of your thoughts/experiences.

TL;dr:
I've been studying for over 4 months for the June exam. My scores seem to be all over the place. I feel as though I am studying some what efficiently. I'm PTing lower than I want to be. Should I keep moving or take a break? Oh, and TCR, I know, is for me to retake.
Last edited by Geetar Man on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bne

New

Re: LSAT takers/tutors/anyone with a pulse, please advise!

Post by bne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:53 am

I wouldn't worry too much. Take a few days off depending on how you feel, but with the June test coming up soon, I don't think you should break longer than a week (unless you absolutely need to).

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 am

Last edited by NYC2012 on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Incubateus

Bronze

Post by Incubateus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:02 am

I took a week off before the test and ended up bumping my score up by 4 or 5 points. Sometimes it's just good to take a step away and clear your head. Also, if I could do things over again, I would be sure to take at least 1 timed section per night. Anecdotally, that's what the best scores I know of did. I also would consider using a tool like Lumosity to help out. Good Luck!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:24 am

Take a week off, then start studying in such a way that you get 1 or 2 days off a week.

And make sure you take two or three days off before the test, then do a few problems to get your mind back in the game before the test starts (the day of).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 pm

The LSAT score conversion chart on that website is not definitive, it's just a rough estimate. Always use the conversion chart at the end of each PT.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:09 pm

bne wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. Take a few days off depending on how you feel, but with the June test coming up soon, I don't think you should break longer than a week (unless you absolutely need to).
Thank you for the input!
NYC2012 wrote:Take a break, definitely. If you're not PTing at or above 165 consistently by the date change deadline, I would postpone. I was in your same situation with similar PT scores and very burnt out. Instead of postponing my test like I should have, I took it because I got 2 high scores before it and thought I would be able to magically reproduce those. And I got a shitty score, unsurprisingly.

Bottom line: don't be afraid of postponing! The extra months of more relaxed studying have helped me immensely.
I hear that. But that's what my fear is; postponing this test. I guess its sometimes a smart decision. I would just hate to push the test and study for an entire year to only take 1 single administration. UGH!
Incubateus wrote:I took a week off before the test and ended up bumping my score up by 4 or 5 points. Sometimes it's just good to take a step away and clear your head. Also, if I could do things over again, I would be sure to take at least 1 timed section per night. Anecdotally, that's what the best scores I know of did. I also would consider using a tool like Lumosity to help out. Good Luck!
Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing; I need to let the dust settle for a little. I checked out that luminosity thing and I was expecting them to sell me on something, but so far they havent... I'll finish lesson two today haha
spleenworship wrote:Take a week off, then start studying in such a way that you get 1 or 2 days off a week.

And make sure you take two or three days off before the test, then do a few problems to get your mind back in the game before the test starts (the day of).
I like this plan. It incorporates both my urge to keep studying and a break. I guess I was really wondering if my brain just needs rest from the material, and the consensus so far is yes. Thanks!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

spleenworship wrote:Take a week off, then start studying in such a way that you get 1 or 2 days off a week.
I'd agree with this.

A 'fresh' mind does wonderful things.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:10 pm

Micdiddy wrote:The LSAT score conversion chart on that website is not definitive, it's just a rough estimate. Always use the conversion chart at the end of each PT.
Thanks, Micdiddy! That's what I figured. I wish this wasnt the case though haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

gaud wrote:
I'd agree with this.

Guad, is this something you did? I know you took the LSAT a few times; did you keep truckin or were there breaks in between?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
gaud wrote:
I'd agree with this.

Guad, is this something you did? I know you took the LSAT a few times; did you keep truckin or were there breaks in between?
I took breaks and I would recommend it. I understand that it's hard to do so, seems counterintuitive that you'd get better when you aren't practicing, but I feel there is certainly merit in taking time off. It helped clear my head and get rid of some of the stress. It's kind of like the more I'd study, the more anxiety would slowly creep up.. but as soon as I took time off, I'd still be at the same level of prep, only with less stress. I hope that makes sense, lol.

If I were you, I'd take at least 4-5 days off. Then I'd create a study schedule with 1-2 (preferably 2) off days a week. Spleenworship hit this on the head as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: poor grammar and spelling

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:20 pm

NYC2012 wrote:Take a break, definitely. If you're not PTing at or above 165 consistently by the date change deadline, I would postpone. I was in your same situation with similar PT scores and very burnt out. Instead of postponing my test like I should have, I took it because I got 2 high scores before it and thought I would be able to magically reproduce those. And I got a shitty score, unsurprisingly.

Bottom line: don't be afraid of postponing! The extra months of more relaxed studying have helped me immensely.
The bolded is credited. Despite what the optimist in you says, I don't think many people pull off a significant score increase from their PT scores a week or two before their actual administration.

Take some time off GM! Your post definitely makes you sound like you are burnt out. However, question on your studying...are you just taking PTs without reviewing your wrong answers in depth? I think you can't make substantial improvement until you figure out where you are weak and target your effort into improving those areas. Dude, track your wrong LR answers on your PTs if you haven't been! Figure out why you picked the wrong answers and not the right ones. Figure out what you would do differently. Then go back to taking PTs.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Have to agree with everyone. Take a short break (3-4 days off) right now to give yourself time to rest.

Then, when you get back to studying, plan to take 2 days off every week. Seems counter-intuitive, as others have said, but those days give your brain time to make sense of everything, rest up, and get ready to get back into it. Your scores are on a slight downward trend recently, which makes me think that you're burned out (even if you don't feel that way).

Prepare for June (you still have plenty of time to get up a few points consistently), but also don't be afraid to postpone until October if you're not practicing where you want to be by then.

With a few days off a week, though, and some focused study (which doesn't seem to be a problem for you), I'd be surprised if you couldn't get to around 165 avg. by game day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:51 pm

gaud wrote:
Geetar Man wrote: Guad, is this something you did? I know you took the LSAT a few times; did you keep truckin or were there breaks in between?
I took breaks and I would recommend it. I understand that it's hard to do so, seems counterintuitive that you'd get better when you aren't practicing, but I feel there is certainly merit in taking time off. It helped clear my head and get rid of some of the stress. It's kind of like the more I'd study, the more anxiety would slowly creep up.. but as soon as I took time off, I'd still be at the same level of prep, only with less stress. I hope that makes sense, lol.

If I were you, I'd take at least 4-5 days off. Then I'd create a study schedule with 1-2 (preferably 2) off days a week. Spleenworship hit this on the head as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: poor grammar and spelling
It does seem highly counterintuitive, which is why I'm hesitant to do so.
kennethellenparcell wrote:

The bolded is credited. Despite what the optimist in you says, I don't think many people pull off a significant score increase from their PT scores a week or two before their actual administration.

Take some time off GM! Your post definitely makes you sound like you are burnt out. However, question on your studying...are you just taking PTs without reviewing your wrong answers in depth? I think you can't make substantial improvement until you figure out where you are weak and target your effort into improving those areas. Dude, track your wrong LR answers on your PTs if you haven't been! Figure out why you picked the wrong answers and not the right ones. Figure out what you would do differently. Then go back to taking PTs.
I'm actually reviewing them quite thoroughly. I type out 5 questions with answers about why the right answer was right, why the wrong was wrong, why I was tricked, etc... I mean, I'm just trying to figure out the reason for such stagnation in my scores.

Oh and 2 people voted to keep truckin'... I haven't heard the argument for such a vote, which means that these were probably bs votes.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:56 pm

bp shinners wrote:Have to agree with everyone. Take a short break (3-4 days off) right now to give yourself time to rest.

Then, when you get back to studying, plan to take 2 days off every week. Seems counter-intuitive, as others have said, but those days give your brain time to make sense of everything, rest up, and get ready to get back into it. Your scores are on a slight downward trend recently, which makes me think that you're burned out (even if you don't feel that way).

Prepare for June (you still have plenty of time to get up a few points consistently), but also don't be afraid to postpone until October if you're not practicing where you want to be by then.

With a few days off a week, though, and some focused study (which doesn't seem to be a problem for you), I'd be surprised if you couldn't get to around 165 avg. by game day.
Seriously, Im glad most everyone is coming to a consensus, minus a few people. Can anyone explain the process in which the information "settles" or what the physiological reasons for taking a break are?

As you said, BPshinners, I don't have a problem to clunk down and get going. This test has been fun and challenging for me, but you give me tons of hope to feel like a break + a couple days off a week will help to let the dust settle in my studies.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Do you know what types of questions you are having the most trouble with?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:56 pm

Trust me/us, take time off! You'll be glad you did.

Also, your review strategy seems good to me.

How are your LG and RC scores? Strive (really, make yourself) for perfect scores in LG. It can really help you overcome missing questions in the other sections.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:04 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:Do you know what types of questions you are having the most trouble with?
It's really scattered across the board; there arent any questions that I miss more often than others. If anything, sufficient assumption questions sometimes get me. A lot of my errors are due to picking answer choices that sound right but have one little difference in a word that makes it wrong that I fail to notice under timed conditions. The other day I took an untimed PT and scored a 169. So I know that I'm capable of it. I started to also slow down reading the stimulus, which seems to save me time while going through the answer choices.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:05 pm

gaud wrote:Trust me/us, take time off! You'll be glad you did.

Also, your review strategy seems good to me.

How are your LG and RC scores? Strive (really, make yourself) for perfect scores in LG. It can really help you overcome missing questions in the other sections.
I will dude, no doubt. I think I'll take the rest of this week off (though I'll be missing like 3 PTs) and get back at it starting Monday. I work 40 hours a week, but I just don't know what to do with myself after work. I guess I could play some call of duty and listen to music. haha first world problems.

kennethellenparcell

Bronze

Post by kennethellenparcell » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm

Sounds like you have your shit together. Good luck!!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Geetar Man wrote:Seriously, Im glad most everyone is coming to a consensus, minus a few people. Can anyone explain the process in which the information "settles" or what the physiological reasons for taking a break are?
Outside of psychological reasons (which are legion), the brain is just like anything else in your body - there are chemicals that it uses to communicate between cells that can become depleted over time. When you constantly force your brain through the stress of intense LSAT studying, these chemicals become depleted. Taking time off allows your brain to synthesize more of them.

Additionally, we remember stuff (not just memory, but skills) when we do them over and over again so that the neural pathways used to carry out those functions become reinforced. If you don't give your brain time away from that material, the pathways don't grow as 'thick'. Your brain also has a harder time reinforcing the pathways without having an abundance of the chemicals mentioned above.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:27 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Geetar Man wrote:Seriously, Im glad most everyone is coming to a consensus, minus a few people. Can anyone explain the process in which the information "settles" or what the physiological reasons for taking a break are?
Outside of psychological reasons (which are legion), the brain is just like anything else in your body - there are chemicals that it uses to communicate between cells that can become depleted over time. When you constantly force your brain through the stress of intense LSAT studying, these chemicals become depleted. Taking time off allows your brain to synthesize more of them.

Additionally, we remember stuff (not just memory, but skills) when we do them over and over again so that the neural pathways used to carry out those functions become reinforced. If you don't give your brain time away from that material, the pathways don't grow as 'thick'. Your brain also has a harder time reinforcing the pathways without having an abundance of the chemicals mentioned above.
Okay, I see. So it's kind of like working out (an analogy for Guad). I need to rest my brain so it can return to the point where new gains can be well received. It makes sense and I am pretty sure that I will give it a go.

kennethellenparcell wrote:Sounds like you have your shit together. Good luck!!
Lets sure hope so! I'm pressing really really hard for that 165+. I'm not even trying to be greedy trying to get a 170+; I know what I need and I need what I want. Although, a 170+ would be nice.

puppylaw

New

Post by puppylaw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:39 pm

Take a break! There's such a thing as over-training. Rather than doing so much, concentrate on doing fewer questions and tests but doing them really, really well and, most importantly, understanding every question thoroughly.

Remember to take it pretty easy in the few days before the actual test.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:12 pm

I agree with pretty much everything people have said already.

Take a short break, it won't hurt you. Your LSAT knowledge and skills will not leak out of your brain during a few days to a week LSAT vacation. It will be refreshing. Do something fun with the time, go for a hike, check out some scenery, go to a museum, walk around the city aimlessly and talk to random people about random things.

Once you start back up definitely include 2 days a week off with ZERO LSAT prep/study. Treat those days as reward time and use the time to do something fun that you enjoy and that is relaxing and stress relieving. A big point of the time off and days off is for stress reduction and recuperation time, plus to maintain perspective and sanity.

Also, if you don't already do it, work in some medium to light exercise a few times per week. Cardio is good for the brain for mental clarity and good to build endurance and energy levels. A 30-60 minute bike ride or time on the life cycle or treadmill at a gym a few times per week is really good, helps relieve stress, and you get to enjoy music while you do it.

It also helps your overall health, keeps your appetite up (eat good foods, not a ton of junk food), and helps you keep a good sleep wake cycle. You won't have a problem falling asleep at night and getting a full nights rest if you exercise a few times per week and you will feel much better, clear headed, unstressed, and sharp. Plus, hey, chicks dig a dude that is in shape!

While prepping for the LSAT, when in law school leading up to finals, and when prepping for the bar exam, whenever things were getting fuzzy or when I hit a plateau, was feeling frustrated or whatever I'd put the books away, grab the headphones, head to the gym, crank up some good tunes, ride the life cycle for 30-60 minutes and watch all the girls bouncing around in the gym in their tight outfits. It really helped and was enjoyable.

Plus, use your downtime in the evenings to enjoy some brainless entertainment. Watch some comedy shows or movies or something that will make you laugh.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Jeffort wrote:I agree with pretty much everything people have said already.

Take a short break, it won't hurt you. Your LSAT knowledge and skills will not leak out of your brain during a few days to a week LSAT vacation. It will be refreshing. Do something fun with the time, go for a hike, check out some scenery, go to a museum, walk around the city aimlessly and talk to random people about random things.

Once you start back up definitely include 2 days a week off with ZERO LSAT prep/study. Treat those days as reward time and use the time to do something fun that you enjoy and that is relaxing and stress relieving. A big point of the time off and days off is for stress reduction and recuperation time, plus to maintain perspective and sanity.

Also, if you don't already do it, work in some medium to light exercise a few times per week. Cardio is good for the brain for mental clarity and good to build endurance and energy levels. A 30-60 minute bike ride or time on the life cycle or treadmill at a gym a few times per week is really good, helps relieve stress, and you get to enjoy music while you do it.

It also helps your overall health, keeps your appetite up (eat good foods, not a ton of junk food), and helps you keep a good sleep wake cycle. You won't have a problem falling asleep at night and getting a full nights rest if you exercise a few times per week and you will feel much better, clear headed, unstressed, and sharp. Plus, hey, chicks dig a dude that is in shape!

While prepping for the LSAT, when in law school leading up to finals, and when prepping for the bar exam, whenever things were getting fuzzy or when I hit a plateau, was feeling frustrated or whatever I'd put the books away, grab the headphones, head to the gym, crank up some good tunes, ride the life cycle for 30-60 minutes and watch all the girls bouncing around in the gym in their tight outfits. It really helped and was enjoyable.

Plus, use your downtime in the evenings to enjoy some brainless entertainment. Watch some comedy shows or movies or something that will make you laugh.

Great reply, Jeffort. I am happy to hear consistent advice between so many people, especially the experts.

I had a feeling this is what it would come down to. I need to relax and then have some breaks in between. Now that I think about it, I really don't take any time off except for Fridays.

I definitely appreciate all of the help in this thread. It's been a long haul, but I'm hoping to seal the deal come June. I'll update this thread with results so that future test takers in my similar situation can see how taking a break has affected me. Again, thanks to all.

GM.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”